Can Connor McDavid break up the "big 4"?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Maybe I have too much faith in the general public, but I feel like if Florida wins tonight the sentiment will be more the Oilers organization failed McDavid rather than he couldn't get it done.

You can't ask for more out of him than the 3rd most points and most assists in a playoff ever
Maybe I'm jaded. I don't know. I just get tired of seeing the idea of needing to win a Cup being pinned on one player. I'm with you in that I don't think you can ask more of him this year, and that's even if he has a disastrous game tonight. I just wonder how much credit he'll get if they come up short.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
He could have entered Bourque territory after 88-90-91 in that regard of no one blame him anymore, he just scored 95 pts his last 52 playoff games, with an incredible +26

But Bourque never competed for the goat status.

There is a level where yes people start to ask for ridiculous accomplishment and nick-pick, but if we are talking about considered better than Mario Lemieux-Orr and talked about like Gretzky, that not totally unfair.

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
He could have entered Bourque territory after 88-90-91 in that regard of no one blame him anymore, he just score 95 pts his last 52 playoff games, with an incredible +26

But Bourque never competed for the goat status.

There is a level where yes people start to ask for ridiculous accomplishment and nick-pick, but if we are talking about considered better than Mario Lemieux-Orr and talked about like Gretzky, that not totally unfair.
That's fair in a sense, but I'm not so sure that I'm not more impressed with McDavid's postseason play than I am his regular season play (at least as far as peak), and that's obviously a high bar to clear. But what he's done in the last three playoffs is amazing. For me, he's becoming a guy that steps up his game when the chips are down,

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
That 8-1 blowout victory had a fluff scoring element to it, as the game was effectively already won when McDarling went in and piled on his 4 points, three of them on Stolarz.
It felt like the Panthers started tilting hard and mentally completely gave up.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think some people are so caught up on accomplishments that are zeroes or ones that tonight is going to have an overweighted bearing on their opinions. If the Oilers fall short, they're going to ding McDavid for falling short of a Cup, even though he practically took over the series for two games to make it a series and had been far from bad before that. A Conn Smythe will help, of course (and my guess is that it's his regardless of the outcome tonight), but they'll still portray him as not being able to get over the hump, regardless of the fact that there's little more you could reasonably ask of him. Even when he wasn't on the scoresheet in game 6, I thought he was still very visible, and the attention that had to be paid to him just freed up teammates. That's another way to have an impact on a game too, after all, but that won't be acknowledged after a loss.

On the other hand, let the Oilers win and the all or nothing crowd may be hyping this up to be the greatest playoff run in history, especially if he finishes it off with a multi-point game. My question is how will one Cup be viewed as compared to multiple Cups for the big four. Will it be chalked up to "he did it in the toughest era to win one" or will it be "he still needs multiple Cups" to be in the conversation with them?

To me, this year doesn't tell us a lot we didn't already know. He's the best player in the world. If he continues at the pace he's on, he's headed for top five all time, and I think this playoff run alone gains him some spots on my centers list. He needs to keep it up to be mentioned in the same breath as our sport's Mount Rushmore, but if he continues to do what he's been doing in the playoffs (this year being a prime example, but something like winning a playoff scoring title without even reaching the final has to be considered too), then he could flirt with Lemieux's level. Let him get a couple of more 150-point seasons while maintaining his level of overall play and the regular season reputation could get there too.

I dont agree that this year "doesn't tell us a lot we didn't already know".

One knock on McDavid - even still going into this season - was that he could score a lot, but it wouldn't really translate into winning when it mattered. Great in rounds 1 and 2 in 2022 playoffs, but not round 3, etc.

He now has 2 standout accomplishments this year that change this narrative:

1. Regular season turnaround. Oilers were dead in the water and so was McDavid individually more than halfway in November. He led his team on a huge winning streak and up the standings, to make playoffs.

2. Playoff run. He was good in rounds 1 and 2, but has now been spectacular rounds 3 and 4. If he caps this off with a huge game 7 game/win, it would be in the running for greatest playoff run ever.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm trying to decide whether McDavid is roughly equal to Crosby in ability (but with better health), or if he's simply a better player.

Despite their careers overlapping, the scoring environments during their respective peaks have been very different. (This is probably obvious to all of us, but it's not the case on the main boards). Between 2011 and 2017, a span of seven seasons, there were just five 100+ point seasons. (Granted, one of those years was the lockout-shortened 2013, but only one player was on pace). In 2022 alone, there were eight players who scored 100+ points (and we had even more than that in each of 2023 and 2024). Nine years into their careers, adjusted for the scoring environment, there's little separating them in terms of per-game production. (McDavid's 2023 season was hugely impressive - but I'll admit that it feels a bit less special now that two rivals both scored 140+ points the year after).

McDavid already won more Hart and Art Ross trophies than Crosby. It's not difficult to imagine that a healthier Crosby could have won five or six Art Ross trophies, and three or four Hart trophies. (Obviously the advantage goes to McDavid, for actually doing that, rather than merely being on pace to do so). But that supports the "McDavid is similar to Crosby, just healthier" argument. On the other hand, even if we use Crosby's partial seasons (like 2011), he never separated himself from the pack quite to the same extent as McDavid did in 2021 and 2023. Close, but not quite (and, again, that's two full seasons for McDavid vs a half season for Crosby, and then a 22 game fragment in 2012).

Crosby's advantages over McDavid are two-way play, playoffs, and longevity:
  1. Two way play? Crosby is a better two-way player, but I don't think the advantage is too big. McDavid is underrated in this regard (I'll say the same thing I always say about Jagr - neither is great defensively in the conventional sense, but they still have a huge, positive impact on their teams' goal differential because they create so many scoring chances). Long term, I don't think this will affect the comparison too much.
  2. Playoffs? Crosby is probably the best playoff performer of his generation. He's only the 6th player in NHL history (and the only one who didn't play in the 1980s or early 1990s) to score 200+ points. He had four playoff runs where he was at least in contention for the Conn Smythe trophy - I can't think of many players, post 1980, who we can say that about. And if we count international tournaments, he scored one of the biggest goals in hockey history, and was outstanding in the 2015 tournament (MVP and leading scorer). At the same time, there are some obvious weaknesses - he has disappointing output in the SC finals, he only led his team in scoring once in four trips to the finals, and he was underwhelming in 2010 prior to the golden goal. McDavid's playoff resume is obviously much shorter (before this spring, he had appeared in fewer than 50 games - not his fault, but it still has to be rated "incomplete"). McDavid is giving us a historically great playoff run - win or lose, this is clearly better than anything Crosby has ever done in the spring. I'd still evaluate Crosby as the better playoff performer overall, but this has helped make a serious dent.
  3. Longevity? This is tough to forecast. Crosby is starting to rival Bourque for high-level consistency, year after year. Few players in history have had as many years as a Hart finalist, or a top ten scorer (nobody in history has more point-per-game seasons, but that comes across as era-based trivia, rather than a serious argument). McDavid is still only 27. He's one of the fastest players in history, but the concern is, as he gets older, if he loses that speed advantage (either due to an injury, or just aging), how much will his play be affected? McDavid could win another 2-3 Hart and Art Ross trophies, and become only the second player in history to score 2,000 points; or he could deal with recurring injuries and end up with all kinds of gaps in his resume, like Lemieux. Given McDavid's dedication to the sport, and his excellent hockey sense, he can probably play at an elite level well into his 30's, even with diminished speed. But let's give him credit for that if/when it happens (rather than simply assuming it'll happen). Crosby - at least for now - has a big advantage in this category.
As for Lemieux? I agree that McDavid has had times when he's performed at close to Lemieux's level (2021 and 2023 regular seasons, 2022 and 2024 playoffs). I find this comparison easier - Lemieux was a more innately talented player (with a more versatile skillset, and he was pretty clearly the better goal scorer). I have a tough time picturing Lemieux ever getting outscored by Kucherov or MacKinnon. I can't see McDavid ever kicking Lemieux out of the "big four" entirely, but I can envision him turning it into a "big five". Lemieux is the better player, and I don't think that assessment will ever change, but it's possible that if McDavid keeps playing at this level for 5+ years, his career value will be so good, it would be impossible to ignore. (Similar to Howe vs Orr - I have no doubt that Orr is the better player, but I rank Howe higher due to the immense gap in career value). But let's not leap ahead too quickly. McDavid still has to play 270 times just to match Lemieux's game count. It's still many years away (late 2020's) until we can even consider the possibility of McDavid passing Lemieux in career value.

The fact that we're having a serious conversation about McDavid turning it into the "big five" tells me that, regardless of health, he's probably at least half a step above Crosby. We can make a semi-plausible case for Crosby as the consensus #5 all-time (see link) but I never thought he could remold the top of the pyramid entirely. McDavid can do that, and we're lucky that we get to witness his career.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think where McDavid really stands out against Crosby is in terms of dominant individual seasons/playoffs.

Crosby's two Art Rosses are nothing to sneeze at, but neither is close to one of McDavid's two best in terms of dominance over peers. His best chance for such a season was 2011.

If you give him a full season in 2013, he wins the Ross and Hart comfortably. But the domination isn't really close to McDavid's in the also short 2021 season.

There you have the 2011 season. That's really the only one where Crosby could have done something close to what McDavid did in 2023. He was pacing for 64 goals and 132 points. That's still more than 20 points fewer than McDavid put up in 2023, but considering the differences in scoring environment and the fact that his season would have been even better in terms of goal scoring (relative to peers/era), I think that pace would have given him a signature season roughly as good as McDavid's 2023 season if he had stayed healthy and maintained his pace. However, I'm not convinced he would have done that. He's only had 50 or more goals in a season once. It's hard to imagine him having a season where he scores over 60 goals when scoring across the League is very low. If his pace had dropped a bit and he had wound up with about 120 points, that would have been a great season (better than his 2007 season where he had 120 points) but not that close to McDavid's 2023.

I also think he's never had a playoff run as good as McDavid's this year.

If McDavid completes the reverse sweep tonight and wins the Cup and Smythe, that will cement his 2024 playoff run as better than Crosby's best. If his team loses, I'd probably still consider it better (unless he totally forgets how to play and starts putting pucks into his own net), but people love their Cup-counting. Some will say Crosby's best run is better because he (read; his team) won the Stanley Cup.

With a better regular season and playoff peak and all that hardware, McDavid is bound to surpass him with two or three more high-end seasons. Crosby's been putting up seasons of being a ~top 10 player the last decade (sometimes top five or so and sometimes closer to 15th). Such seasons add a lot to a career, but if McDavid ends up with, say, seven scoring titles, four or five Harts, two Conn Smythes and multiple strong playoff runs, there won't really be a better career argument remaining for Crosby.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm trying to decide whether McDavid is roughly equal to Crosby in ability (but with better health), or if he's simply a better player.

Despite their careers overlapping, the scoring environments during their respective peaks have been very different. (This is probably obvious to all of us, but it's not the case on the main boards). Between 2011 and 2017, a span of seven seasons, there were just five 100+ point seasons. (Granted, one of those years was the lockout-shortened 2013, but only one player was on pace). In 2022 alone, there were eight players who scored 100+ points (and we had even more than that in each of 2023 and 2024). Nine years into their careers, adjusted for the scoring environment, there's little separating them in terms of per-game production. (McDavid's 2023 season was hugely impressive - but I'll admit that it feels a bit less special now that two rivals both scored 140+ points the year after).

McDavid already won more Hart and Art Ross trophies than Crosby. It's not difficult to imagine that a healthier Crosby could have won five or six Art Ross trophies, and three or four Hart trophies. (Obviously the advantage goes to McDavid, for actually doing that, rather than merely being on pace to do so). But that supports the "McDavid is similar to Crosby, just healthier" argument. On the other hand, even if we use Crosby's partial seasons (like 2011), he never separated himself from the pack quite to the same extent as McDavid did in 2021 and 2023. Close, but not quite (and, again, that's two full seasons for McDavid vs a half season for Crosby, and then a 22 game fragment in 2012).

1. Two way play? Crosby is a better two-way player, but I don't think the advantage is too big. McDavid is underrated in this regard (I'll say the same thing I always say about Jagr - neither is great defensively in the conventional sense, but they still have a huge, positive impact on their teams' goal differential because they create so many scoring chances). Long term, I don't think this will affect the comparison too much.
  2. Playoffs? Crosby is probably the best playoff performer of his generation. He's only the 6th player in NHL history (and the only one who didn't play in the 1980s or early 1990s) to score 200+ points. He had four playoff runs where he was at least in contention for the Conn Smythe trophy - I can't think of many players, post 1980, who we can say that about. And if we count international tournaments, he scored one of the biggest goals in hockey history, and was outstanding in the 2015 tournament (MVP and leading scorer). At the same time, there are some obvious weaknesses - he has disappointing output in the SC finals, he only led his team in scoring once in four trips to the finals, and he was underwhelming in 2010 prior to the golden goal. McDavid's playoff resume is obviously much shorter (before this spring, he had appeared in fewer than 50 games - not his fault, but it still has to be rated "incomplete"). McDavid is giving us a historically great playoff run - win or lose, this is clearly better than anything Crosby has ever done in the spring. I'd still evaluate Crosby as the better playoff performer overall, but this has helped make a serious dent.
  3. Longevity? This is tough to forecast. Crosby is starting to rival Bourque for high-level consistency, year after year. Few players in history have had as many years as a Hart finalist, or a top ten scorer (nobody in history has more point-per-game seasons, but that comes across as era-based trivia, rather than a serious argument). McDavid is still only 27. He's one of the fastest players in history, but the concern is, as he gets older, if he loses that speed advantage (either due to an injury, or just aging), how much will his play be affected? McDavid could win another 2-3 Hart and Art Ross trophies, and become only the second player in history to score 2,000 points; or he could deal with recurring injuries and end up with all kinds of gaps in his resume, like Lemieux. Given McDavid's dedication to the sport, and his excellent hockey sense, he can probably play at an elite level well into his 30's, even with diminished speed. But let's give him credit for that if/when it happens (rather than simply assuming it'll happen). Crosby - at least for now - has a big advantage in this category.
As for Lemieux? I agree that McDavid has had times when he's performed at close to Lemieux's level (2021 and 2023 regular seasons, 2022 and 2024 playoffs). I find this comparison easier - Lemieux was a more innately talented player (with a more versatile skillset, and he was pretty clearly the better goal scorer). I have a tough time picturing Lemieux ever getting outscored by Kucherov or MacKinnon. I can't see McDavid ever kicking Lemieux out of the "big four" entirely, but I can envision him turning it into a "big five". Lemieux is the better player, and I don't think that assessment will ever change, but it's possible that if McDavid keeps playing at this level for 5+ years, his career value will be so good, it would be impossible to ignore. (Similar to Howe vs Orr - I have no doubt that Orr is the better player, but I rank Howe higher due to the immense gap in career value). But let's not leap ahead too quickly. McDavid still has to play 270 times just to match Lemieux's game count. It's still many years away (late 2020's) until we can even consider the possibility of McDavid passing Lemieux in career value.

The fact that we're having a serious conversation about McDavid turning it into the "big five" tells me that, regardless of health, he's probably at least half a step above Crosby. We can make a semi-plausible case for Crosby as the consensus #5 all-time (see link) but I never thought he could remold the top of the pyramid entirely. McDavid can do that, and we're lucky that we get to witness his career.
I agree with most of this. I don't think that McDavid is much better than Crosby, but his career will be better and he deserves credit for actually doing a lot of the things that Crosby likely would have done with a break here or there. They are peers to me, along with Jagr, Bobby Hull, and maybe just a few others. I don't think I will ever be convinced that McDavid is better than Lemieux, but he seems capable of getting to Lemieux level for extended periods, which is wildly impressive.

I can see him making it a "Big Five" in that he will have a sort of hybrid Lemieux/Howe case if he stays healthy, plus people are desperate for a new player to break through on that level. Worst case scenario though he's at least in the conversation for spot five (along with Crosby an others) right now in my opinion.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Re: McDavid 2023 vs Crosby 2011

What would McDavid's season look like in 2011?

There's a million ways to adjust, but if you Vs5, Vs10, Vs25 it you get a decent idea.

Vs5Vs10Vs25
McDavid 2023
McDavid into 2011126 points116 points127 points

So yes, if Crosby actually hit 132 points with 64 goals, I think it would be better than McDavid 2023. 64 goals in that environment would be in contention for one of the best goal scoring seasons of all-time (I believe by hockeyref formula it comes out #1).

The likelihood that he actually hits 64 goals/132 points is quite low. But I think a healthy Crosby could do something like 56 goals/124ish points that year, which would be in line with McDavid 2023.

Scoring was really low in 2011. I think you can make a fair point that top end talent that year is particularly weak, but that level of dominance would still be all-time level.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

The fact that we're having a serious conversation about McDavid turning it into the "big five" tells me that, regardless of health, he's probably at least half a step above Crosby. We can make a semi-plausible case for Crosby as the consensus #5 all-time (see link) but I never thought he could remold the top of the pyramid entirely. McDavid can do that, and we're lucky that we get to witness his career.not
Wow, you're really pumping Crosby's tires here.

A good comparable for Crosby is Ovechkin, I would say, not McDavid, whom I see at a clearly higher level.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
That show how hard it is to win a cup......

For how good and for quite long the Perfection line were, never won it, even with Chara-Rask-mCavoy-Krejci and co with them. And maybe more importantly to the point got out of round 2 a single time,

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Wow, you're really pumping Crosby's tires here.

A good comparable for Crosby is Ovechkin, I would say, not McDavid, whom I see at a clearly higher level.
I've been on HFBoards for Crosby's entire career, and nobody (aside from a couple of die-hard Ovechkin devotees) has ever said that about me. If anything, I think I've been pretty conservative in evaluating Crosby throughout the years. I don't think I'm inflating anything by recognizing that Crosby is one of several players with a legitimate case for #5 all-time. (And he's the natural comparison to McDavid because their careers overlapped).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've been on HFBoards for Crosby's entire career, and nobody (aside from a couple of die-hard Ovechkin devotees) has ever said that about me. If anything, I think I've been pretty conservative in evaluating Crosby throughout the years. I don't think I'm inflating anything by recognizing that Crosby is one of several players with a legitimate case for #5 all-time. (And he's the natural comparison to McDavid because their careers overlapped).
Okay, fair enough, I guess, but I just don't see it.

Crosby, of course, is one of the greatest players of all time and will go down as having had one of the great careers. Having watched and cheered for both players in their primes, McDavid, for me, is clearly at a higher level than Crosby. Like, I wouldn't even have to think hard about that.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
But zero points in Game 6 & 7. Oof.

He had 11 points in seven games in the SCF, which is pretty good production for a superstar player and he helped his team push the series to a seventh game that the team lost by one goal. I'd say that's a good showing. The Panthers were the favorites and had home ice advantage, but they didn't win easily.

I don't think I've ever seen such a big deal made over the timing of points, what the score was when a particular player scored etc. There's a lot of variance in hockey. When you score at well over a 1.00 PPG clip against a team that's hard to score on and your all-around play is respectable, you give your team a chance.

I think the fact that Draisaitl couldn't shoot properly (injury) was a major problem in that series, especially toward the end. He was missing the net on chances he's usually money on.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
because i believe he is a kobe bryant-type maniac, those two misses in the third period are going to destroy him this summer. and he is going to come out with a terrifying new gear.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Crosby is probably closer to top 10-15 of all time, McDavid is getting close to top-4.

If McDavid retired today, he would be at the level of guys like Bobby Hull, Richard, and Beliveau.
I basically agree with this, though you might be slightly low-balling Crosby. His late career sustained excellence is still pushing him up a bit. Still, he's a very borderline top-10 type (probably outside it) and McDavid, as you say, is trending to the top-4, but still more of that tale to be told...

Reactions: barbu and finchster

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
But zero points in Game 6 & 7. Oof.

all that matters is the stats and trophies for the legacy lol

1719299337492.png

Beljavskij

Jan 10, 2022
I basically agree with this, though you might be slightly low-balling Crosby. His late career sustained excellence is still pushing him up a bit. Still, he's a very borderline top-10 type (probably outside it) and McDavid, as you say, is trending to the top-4, but still more of that tale to be told...

I kind of feel like you have a little bit of an Oilers-bias in your rankings/arguments (going by your consistent Pro-Gretzky and McDavid stance in any discussion). Though I appreciate your well-intended arguments.

Just curious who you would have clearly ahead of Crosby (apart from the Big-4)?
To me it seems like the general consensus is that Crosby very clearly is a top-10 player of all time, and mostly ranked somewhere in the 5-7 spots.

The question with McDavid that I still think is unanswered for him to be trending to the top-4 is if he is a winner? I don't think you can argue McDavid as a top 4-5 of all time if he never wins anything major. Crosby has proven time and time again that he is a winner, can McDavid prove it? If he does I would be willing to consider him above Crosby.

Reactions: sanscosm

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Well Crosby was rated 12th the last time this board did this type of ranking. I think that is probably a fair assesment

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I will point out that since then Crosby had a 2nd place Hart finish and three elite seasons in his mid 30s.

40 goals 90 points at age 36 on a bad team is very respectable longevity.

Crosby has to be in the logjam of players that have legit arguments for 5-10 for sure.

My personal feeling is McDavid is gonna have #5 to himself by the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad