Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All right, he may not be the best in the league, but you can't put up numbers like he has in the NHL even over a small 20 game sample of (somewhat) sheltered starts unless you're really good.

He is good enough to be a starter in the NHL and probably good enough to be in the top half. Having two excellent goaltenders is nice, but wasteful. Since Lundquist has greater trade value because of his super stardom and track record, which you point out, and because his impact on the cap is far greater and because he is older with less upside potential, it makes far more sense to trade him than it would make to trade Talbot.

Bold moves like going with Talbot and trading Lundquist in this situation is what separates the hairy men with testicles and vision from the boys.

You can be very good for short spurts and not be great over the long haul. Many goalies have done it. Goalies have done it here in the not too distant past.

I disagree about him being in the top half of starters, and I completely disagree about it making far more sense to trade Hank than Talbot.

Bold moves like that are what ruins years of team building.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
Hank's hit is 6.8 this year. Quick's is 5.8. Rinne's is 7. Varlamov is about to have a cap hit of 5.9. What most goalies get isn't really relevant when you're talking about the best goalies. The best goalies get paid a lot. Hank is one of them, and he gets paid a lot as well.

The point is that he's not living up to his old contract based on current play. It happens, but its entirely relevant when no punches are pulled with a rookie not making squat.

You're taking the arguments of a dozen different people and putting them in my mouth. I don't agree with a bunch of those statements

My original post was "in the wind", not directly entirely at you.

Talbot is deserving of praise. But he's deserving of praise relative to his accomplishments. He's been an excellent backup so far, and if he can keep this up, he'll very likely get a chance to be a starter somewhere else down the line.

Fair enough, I look at Talbot like zucc. Obviously not as accomplished as zucc but a blessing this yr and a big reason why we are about to break road wins record. Peace

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The point is that he's not living up to his old contract based on current play. It happens, but its entirely relevant when no punches are pulled with a rookie not making squat.

My original post was "in the wind", not directly entirely at you.

Fair enough, I look at Talbot like zucc. Obviously not as accomplished as zucc but a blessing this yr and a big reason why we are about to break road wins record. Peace

For sure on the bolded. Can't argue with that.

Personally, I'd hold on to both goalies next year, go with an incredibly strong tandem and see what happens with Talbot from there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Best Season-Long Backup Performance

While T-Bone was unable to get a shut out because the Rangers failed to score, his season-long performance has been beyond terrific. Over .942 SV% and about 1.6 GAA after 21 games, over a quarter of the season.

He never gave up over 4 goals and had more shutouts than 4 goal games. The kid has been money in almost every game he played.

It's true that Healy was a very good backup in 1994. It's also true that Vanbiesbrouk and Richter were a great tandem and both had huge careers as starters. But while we don't know if T-Bone can ever go on to match the careers of these guys (or even come close) after they were our backups, if you isolate any one given season, in the over quarter century of watching hockey, Talbot has been our best backup since the 1980s, maybe long before that.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
What a great option to have in case Hank ***** the bed. Great job by Talbot proving the doubters wrong.Beacon. Weren't you the one who predicted Talbot would have an immediate impact? I remember not many here even thought he would play.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Someone else mentioned this, but it bears repeating: what happens to this season if Hank kept playing the way he was in the beginning of the season and we don't have Talbot? Could've been out of the playoff picture early on.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It also seems like the team just plays some great hockey in front of him most games. Not taking anything away from them, but if the Rangers played defensively like that all season, they'd be ridiculous.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Absolutely. Having him step up really saved the season early on. NYR should have the most formidable tandem in the league next year.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
T-Bone? I was gonna go with koko the monkey !

This kid is a great find and exactly why we need to be plucking more kids out of NCAA and Euro leagues, especially when so many picks are being traded or not exactly working out.

And again, where is the love for Benoit Allaire, people act like this is just a fluke ;)

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
T-Bone? I was gonna go with koko the monkey !

This kid is a great find and exactly why we need to be plucking more kids out of NCAA and Euro leagues, especially when so many picks are being traded or not exactly working out.

And again, where is the love for Benoit Allaire, people act like this is just a fluke ;)

Am I insane and making things up, or were people hating on Benny earlier this year for making Hank play so deep? I very vaguely remember some dudes complaining about Allaire.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
He never gave up over 4 goals and had more shutouts than 4 goal games. The kid has been money in almost every game he played.

I'm being nitpicky but I'm going to count that shelling he took at WPG's hands as a 4+ goal game.

Point is he has been great well beyond what anyone thought he'd be to the point where he legitimately made a case to be the starter at one point based on performance.

It always has to be pointed out though that even Valiquette had a good year or two

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
As far as i'm concerned Talbot came in and saved the season. We were dead in the water, Brion **** the bed so bad he retired. Lundqvist looked like he was ready to retire, we couldn't score to save our lives and in come's this kid that everyone except for me and a few other people believed in and played well enough for this team to right it self.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm being nitpicky but I'm going to count that shelling he took at WPG's hands as a 4+ goal game.

Point is he has been great well beyond what anyone thought he'd be to the point where he legitimately made a case to be the starter at one point based on performance.

It always has to be pointed out though that even Valiquette had a good year or two

Valiquette never played at such a level with such confidence. Valiquette was like the little engine that could, then broke down, got sent down and was put down. Granted one season doesn't make a career, but I think Talbot has a future in the NHL and a much brighter future then Valiquette EVER could have imagined.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Talbot has been great all year...What do we do tomorrow if we play sloppy and say go down 2 goals or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad