Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Cam played a good game today, better then anyone we could pick up or trade for (resonably). Will he keep it up? I think so.
Should have had the w.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yes. I would have loved it if he stopped one or two more shots but I don't feel they were bad goals.

He was average. Would have been nice if he stopped 1 of the goals.

He'll need to play better over the last month if the Rangers want to keep pace.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
Cam Talbot vs Toronto

I don't have much to say with this post, but obviously Cam Talbot wasn't on his game against Toronto tonight, and many non-Ranger and Ranger fans alike jumped on the " Cam Talbot Sucks" bandwagon. I just gotta say i believe that statement is garbage. I am pretty confident that Cam will bounce back and be strong going into this road trip. Agree? Disagree?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Typical overreaction, at least the sentiment is consistent with Hank and Cam. With that said I think Cam seriously needs to settle down and reel it in, he was always a guy that moved around a lot and made a lot of athletic and agile saves but of late it looks like he's been putting himself way out of position with some of his saves, or attempts. He's never been great with shots up high, he doesn't have a great glove and it looks like teams know that. Im still confident he can keep this team in the mix until Hank gets back, it would help if Mcdumbass started playing like he's capable of.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
Typical overreaction, at least the sentiment is consistent with Hank and Cam. With that said I think Cam seriously needs to settle down and reel it in, he was always a guy that moved around a lot and made a lot of athletic and agile saves but of late it looks like he's been putting himself way out of position with some of his saves, or attempts. He's never been great with shots up high, he doesn't have a great glove and it looks like teams know that. Im still confident he can keep this team in the mix until Hank gets back, it would help if Mcdumbass started playing like he's capable of.

I feel like everybody was way too quick to put him down, he had a bad game, he's gonna bounce back and be strong for us, like he always is.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Talbot doesn't suck. He is an above average backup.

That said, we have been hearing the anti-Hank/Talbot supremacy crowd for over a year now. The ******** about how Cam is better, younger and 1/8th the price of Lundqvist is stupid and annoying. This month should kill that contingent of fans for good. I never want to hear anyone ***** and moan about Hank's glove side ever again. Hopefully seeing a mediocre NHL goalie in net for a month will make some people realize how spoiled they are watching the GOAT NYR goalie play. Seriously, if Hank wins a cup, he has a serious case for the GOAT player in franchise history.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I feel like everybody was way too quick to put him down, he had a bad game, he's gonna bounce back and be strong for us, like he always is.

He's always been strong for us as a backup, or at least was very strong for us last season. I think thats what people are weary about, as am I. Can he handle being the #1? We're questioning that and he might be as well, regardless I think a handful of games is way to small of a sample size.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
All I can say is thank god there is a big gap between playoff and non-playoff teams in the east.

Could you imagine if the east was more competitive this year? We would be so screwed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

It's definitely an overreaction to say that Talbot sucks after a couple shaky games. However, it was equally silly to assume--as many did in the Lundqvist injury thread--that because Cam had been so good as a backup, he'd be so good as a starter. I think we'll be fine with Talbot and he'll play adequately enough for us to continue to win, but there's a huge difference between being a good backup for 30 games in the NHL and being a good starting-caliber goalie in the league. I don't know if everyone understands that. Not saying you guys don't--but quite a few people here don't.

When we discussed Talbot after he was called up originally, I think I said I thought he'd be a good backup, or a journeyman starter somewhere that probably would post a couple above-average seasons in the league before all is said and done. I stand by that assessment today.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
It's definitely an overreaction to say that Talbot sucks after a couple shaky games. However, it was equally silly to assume--as many did in the Lundqvist injury thread--that because Cam had been so good as a backup, he'd be so good as a starter. I think we'll be fine with Talbot and he'll play adequately enough for us to continue to win, but there's a huge difference between being a good backup for 30 games in the NHL and being a good starting-caliber goalie in the league. I don't know if everyone understands that. Not saying you guys don't--but quite a few people here don't.

When we discussed Talbot after he was called up originally, I think I said I thought he'd be a good backup, or a journeyman starter somewhere that probably would post a couple above-average seasons in the league before all is said and done. I stand by that assessment today.

I agree, the two are completely different. Im not expecting him to be a Henrik Lundqvist, I'm just confident he will be able to keep pucks out of the net until Hank returns.

harl cagelin

Jan 28, 2015
tough spot for talbot to get extended playing time. rangers are fighting for the playoffs with one of their best team EVER. which shows you how deep the east is.

pressure must be enormous...but he's been more than a solid back up waiting for his chance for an extended look. it has arrived

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

THANK you.

This is a great post.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Extremely tough spot for Talbot to step into right now. You get expect him to be in the same level as Lundqvist in an extended sample size so expectations absolutely have to be lowered. That being said, we need him to make some saves and not let in a few backbreakers like he did last night. I'm confident Cam will hold down the fort until Hank gets back though.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Cam Talbot: 2014-15

6-5-2, .915 SV%, 2.40GAA, 3 shutouts

Career Totals:

17-11-3, .932 SV%, 1.88GAA, 6 shutouts

Cam has been fine, and will be fine going forward. He's in the show for a reason.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He might get better as time goes on. Playing regularly might get him into a bit of a groove.

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
Cam is what he is...

A solid backup. I think folks expect too much from him. His "career" numbers are solid. Given enough reps he'll revert back to his standard of play. Keep in mind that preparation for starters are different than the preparation for a backup. He'll get the routine down soon.

We'll find out over the next 2-3 weeks what we have. And if he has dreams of being a starter somewhere when his contract is up he'll need play more like 2013-14 Cam than 2014-15 Cam. And I agree with the poster who pointed out Cam's problems with high shots and his glove hand. Shots were popping out his glove like buttered popcorn. :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad