Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Obviously, but A) he's performed quite well in his role, B) every goalie in the league would be a backup goalie to Hank and C) maybe it's just me, but I've always felt he could be better than just a good backup goalie. I think he could be a guy who splits with another starter, an all around solid goalie. He isn't Hank, but he's a talented guy.

Still time for him to put up or shut up yet, we'll see how he plays as the games go on.

I just hope he shows up big for the next game. He's looked very good at times and very shaky other times. It's a new world for him to be an every day player but he's at least keeping his head above water and the team is giving support. It makes me really appreciate having Hank, since it's easy to get desensitized when he does what he does so regularly and you get used to the consistency.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
So is this when the "first time a backup will win vezina" crowd comes out?

4-1-1 since the King needed a rest to heal wounds.

Not a knock on Talbot, but most goaltenders would have that record when their team is scoring 4-5 goals a game. Right now, Rangers are scoring 4+ goals for him in each game. With that goal support, we will do just fine.

Plus, he has looked better the last two games now.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This is the best experience Cam can get. Didn't catch the game last night, but from the highlights I can take couple of show-stoppers. Team is starting to rally behind him real strong now.

Realize

This is the best experience Cam can get. Didn't catch the game last night, but from the highlights I can take couple of show-stoppers. Team is starting to rally behind him real strong now.

Last game the overall performance from "Calmbot" was good I think.

The games before.. well as others said, when the guys in front are scoring 4-5 goals it's not that difficult to be 4 - 1 - 1.

Hopefully he will have a good night today.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Cam is a legit NHL starter. He didn't look too good those first 2 games but he is now on track. He needed some time to set in just like Hank does every year in the start.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
His career save % is above 93% which is fantastic. I don't think he would do much worse than 92% if he played more games. The guy is a good goalie.

How many games though.

He's been getting sporadic duty behind the game's best goaltender or one of the best goaltenders (if someone HAD to argue that point). He has like 35 games NHL experience. Too soon to say he's a "legit NHL starter."

His numbers are fantastic. He has potential to be a top tier backup or low end starter, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean he can't exceed that potential or fall short of it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His career save % is above 93% which is fantastic. I don't think he would do much worse than 92% if he played more games. The guy is a good goalie.

In those 30-odd games of NHL experience prior to this starting assignment, he would typically face lesser competition while fully rested. It's an entirely different beast when you're expected to play 3 games in a week against the league's top teams. It's different physically and it's different mentally.

Maybe Cam could be a good NHL starter. As I've said so many times on this board, though--until a guy is, he isn't. Until Talbot is an established legitimate NHL starter, you can't state that he is. Or you can, but it's not factually accurate.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don't think Cam would be a starter anywhere. But he sure as hell can become the best backup around. Basically these couple of games will conclude what he can become. What is certain, is that his sample size is way to small to tell, if he is a legit starter.

I'd like him to sign another 3 yr, 1,5 mil. $ contract. That would be optimal.

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
Made some huge stops last night but also left some juicy rebounds in the slot...he has to work on rebound control and tone it down with the puckhandling/get better at it

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
It's all in wait and see territory. He was never going to consistently have a .941 save percentage but we're not going to keep playing pond hockey forever either.

Honestly, for the Rangers, if he never really distinguishes himself as more than a top-end backup it might be the best case scenario.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Do you know how many active goalies who have played over 100 games have a save percentage of .92 or higher?

Lundqvist is barely above that for his career at .921.

Cam Talbot is not a top-10 goalie in the NHL.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Do you know how many active goalies who have played over 100 games have a save percentage of .92 or higher?

Lundqvist is barely above that for his career at .921.

Cam Talbot is not a top-10 goalie in the NHL.

Top 10 goalie in the NHL is subjective.

If we go by games played since the lockout then obviously Cam isn't near it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Talbot getting goal support -- and he needs it

The Rangers' win over the Islanders Monday night put their record at 5-2 since Henrik Lundqvist last played. The Rangers are giving plenty of offense in support of Cam Talbot, averaging 4.1 goals per game since Lundqvist went down.

They may need to keep it up, since Talbot’s even-strength save percentage since Feb. 3 is .898, better than just four other teams during that stretch. New York’s even-strength shooting percentage as a team in those seven games? It's 12.2 percent -- No. 1 in the league.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/cra...den-value-of-a-second-round-pick?refresh=true

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
without our goal scoring barrage recently, we are probably looking at a full out revolt against cambot.

his record indicates otherwise, but he's been very blah. i remind that he's a backup. not a starter yet.

some of those goals he's allowed have been downright awful.

he needs to tighten up otherwise well be looking at a few 5-3 type losses that won't sit well with the natives.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
without our goal scoring barrage recently, we are probably looking at a full out revolt against cambot.

his record indicates otherwise, but he's been very blah. i remind that he's a backup. not a starter yet.

some of those goals he's allowed have been downright awful.

he needs to tighten up otherwise well be looking at a few 5-3 type losses that won't sit well with the natives.

But he's better than Lundqvist and cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad