Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This team has depth problems. They can/should be solvable through cheap free agent signings and/or the farm.

Complaining about how your hall of fame goalie's cap hit is preventing the team from filling holes is a monumentally stupid argument.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
This team has depth problems. They can/should be solvable through cheap free agent signings and/or the farm.

Complaining about how your hall of fame goalie's cap hit is preventing the team from filling holes is a monumentally stupid argument.

It's not "monumentally stupid" it's thinking outside the box and with logic. Lundqvist isn't worth his $59.5m. Goalies are replaceable in today's NHL. We'd do better with a cheaper goalie like Talbot because we would then have the money to improve defense and/or offensive depth.

The gap between goalies skill levels is very small in the NHL.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It's not "monumentally stupid" it's thinking outside the box and with logic. Lundqvist isn't worth his $59.5m. Goalies are replaceable in today's NHL. We'd do just as fine if not better with a cheaper goalie like Talbot because we would then have the money to improve defense and/or offensive depth.

The gap between goalies skill levels is very small in the NHL.

Is this a sarcastic post? Serious question...

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Is this a sarcastic post? Serious question...

No, why would it be? I don't see how my point can be refuted?
Like you said, a goalie can never win a Vezina on a bottom feeder team.
If Lundqvist was on the Oilers his whole career, he would not be discussed as an elite goalie.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
We're going to have Lundqvist getting 8.5m/year until he is almost 40. If anyone thinks that's what's best for the team it's their own opinion, I have mine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No, why would it be? I don't see how my point can be refuted?
Like you said, a goalie can never win a Vezina on a bottom feeder team.
If Lundqvist was on the Oilers his whole career, he would not be discussed as an elite goalie.

If Lundqvist was in Edmonton his whole career, they wouldn't be a bottom feeder. They'd probably make the playoffs nearly every year. Hank dragged some bad Rangers teams kicking and screaming into the playoffs. And he'd still be considered elite.

The gap between skill level of goalies in the NHL is small. The gap between goalies being able to apply that talent consistently is huge. Talbot doesn't seem to have that ability. Lundqvist has more of that than any goalie in the league. The other top goalies possess that ability to a large degree as well.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Lundqvist has Hasek level consistency. Hasek had an incredible 5 years of .930+ sv% and 8 seasons of .920+. That's just unbelievable when you think about it. Hasek really is the GOAT.

Hank doesn't have to skill Hasek does, but he has the consistency. Including this one, Hank has had 7 .920+ seasons. That's incredible, especially when compared to his peers and people really don't apreciate him as much as he should be appreciated. He is the best active NHL a goalie.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Lundqvist has Hasek level consistency. Hasek had an incredible 5 years of .930+ sv% and 8 seasons of .920+. That's just unbelievable when you think about it. Hasek really is the GOAT.

Hank doesn't have to skill Hasek does, but he has the consistency. Including this one, Hank has had 7 .920+ seasons. That's incredible, especially when compared to his peers and people really don't apreciate him as much as he should be appreciated. He is the best active NHL a goalie.

Price, Varlamov and Schneider are all better going back to last season until now.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Lundqvist has stopped 1% more shots than MAF by career. 1%. And that 1% is partly due to superior team structure. Playoffs is 1.7% and we know how much better we are in the playoffs than the Pens.

Last edited:

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

1) Putting Hasek and Hank in the same post is just politically incorrect in my opinion.

2) Hank is not appreciated? Really? All I hear on TV all day long is how great Hank is. All I read from 90% of posters in the net and on this board, is that Hank is one of the best goalies in the world now, if not the best.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Regarding Cam.. the next several games he plays before Lundqvist gets back will be a better indicator of how he would look like as a starter. Still not big enough sample size but better than what we have now.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Talbot gets good goal support, but he gets very bad D coverage. In my opinion, bad D coverage translates into goals. But the fact that Talbot makes all these great saves with the bad D coverage, tells a lot about him as a goalie.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Talbot gets good goal support, but he gets very bad D coverage. In my opinion, bad D coverage translates into goals. But the fact that Talbot makes all these great saves with the bad D coverage, tells a lot about him as a goalie.

Yeah it wasn't like that last season but this season has been different for some reason. I prefer the high scoring games though, a lot more fun lol

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Because the defensive coverage that Lundqvist has gotten for most of his career has been so stellar. :sarcasm:

And yet he still has only missed the playoffs once.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
1) Putting Hasek and Hank in the same post is just politically incorrect in my opinion.

2) Hank is not appreciated? Really? All I hear on TV all day long is how great Hank is. All I read from 90% of posters in the net and on this board, is that Hank is one of the best goalies in the world now, if not the best.

1) I'm talking about his consistency. Not his greatness, his consistency. I thought I made that clear in my post, guess not.

2) Then theres people who want him gone and think Talbot could actually be a suitable replacement :shakehead

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I think I'm more okay with paying an elite goalie top dollar than any other position. It really helps in the playoffs and I think you have less liability than using that same money on top forwards or defenseman, which are more physically intensive positions. Goalies of Hank's ilk usually last until their 40s.

I also think that anyone who's willing to trade Hank is totally taking for granted how good he is, how good he has been, and what he's worth to this squad. He is the identity of this team, he's the one that performs the best when we need him most.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Because the defensive coverage that Lundqvist has gotten for most of his career has been so stellar. :sarcasm:

And yet he still has only missed the playoffs once.

Especially when we played 5 men D with Torts and lead in blocked shots.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
My point is that there is only a hand full of people who think this way.

The fact that its a thought at all just goes to show that Hank is not fully appreciated. He is the best goalie to have ever played for this franchise, yet some think a backup goalie and $7 million in cap space is more valuable.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
The fact that its a thought at all just goes to show that Hank is not fully appreciated. He is the best goalie to have ever played for this franchise, yet some think a backup goalie and $7 million in cap space is more valuable.

You can never have 100% in any aspect of life. It is a pointless debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad