Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No, he’s strong defensively and very smart, a perfect guy to play 19 a night in your 2nd pair.

He’s not bruising, but we need a stabilizing presence. He was extremely strong in the playoffs playing 20+ a night, he’d be able to be that guy for Ottawa as well.

He’s likely the best realistic option for the Sens.

He’s going GM to make some GM look very smart

He's barely played in the playoffs and hasn't won a round.

I don't mind Carrier but to say he's some playoff hero is weird. I don't see him solving any of our issues if he's brought in as the "missing piece" while we ship out Chychrun.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 1.54.46 PM.png

There is an example of a Tanev contract using "fake years" that I posted earlier in the week before all this noise came out about the Lightning and Leafs using this strategy. It's interesting to hear that GMs have considered this before, since it's an obvious strategy to use.

The way that Tweet is worded makes it sound like the NHL knows that there is nothing they can reasonably do as long as teams aren't stupid, so they are asking nicely for teams not to do it. It sounds like an empty threat that basically says "if you're going to do it, don't make us look too stupid".

If the Leafs or Lightning offer the player a front office job, or are stupid enough to go on record about it, then yes the league might be able to interject - but with a contract like the above you can't really argue that there isn't risk for the team signing it. Tanev is not obligated to LTIRetire, so there is a chance he could still be chasing a cup 4 years in and decide he wants to keep going, even know he is not a 4M player.

A team could also reasonably argue that the cap is set to inflate dramatically. So by year 4 or 5, 3M-4M could be #6 D or bottom 6 forward type money since the cap could be 120M+ by then.

It's obviously circumvention in practice, but it doesn't become actual circumvention until there is proof of a previous agreement, direct or indirect (like a player taking a well compensated off ice job after retiring).

Reactions: HSF

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
He'd barely played in the playoffs and hasn't won a round.

I don't mind Carrier but to say he's some playoff hero is weird. I don't see him solving any of our issues if he's brought in as the "missing piece" while we ship out Chychrun.

One of our issues is we can't defend. He can defend.

One of our other issues is we don't have a right-shot defenceman capable of playing 2nd pair minutes. He's shown he's capable of playing 2nd pair minutes, and shoots right.

Given the options we have, he's a pretty good one.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He'd barely played in the playoffs and hasn't won a round.

He averaged 21:10 this playoffs, and was very capable. I never called him a playoff hero, I said he was very strong for the Preds, and he was.

Matt Roy has played a total of 2 more playoff games, and has averaged 20:45 in his 18 playoff games and never won a series. Carrier has averaged 22:45 in his 16 playoff games.

We aren’t getting a grizzled playoff hero, we need a guy who can play 19-20 minutes a game and be solid defensively. Carrier is very capable of playing those.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and Duncstar

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

View attachment 890030

There is an example of a Tanev contract using "fake years" that I posted earlier in the week before all this noise came out about the Lightning and Leafs using this strategy. It's interesting to hear that GMs have considered this before, since it's an obvious strategy to use.

The way that Tweet is worded makes it sound like the NHL knows that there is nothing they can reasonably do as long as teams aren't stupid, so they are asking nicely for teams not to do it. It sounds like an empty threat that basically says "if you're going to do it, don't make us look too stupid".

If the Leafs or Lightning offer the player a front office job, or are stupid enough to go on record about it, then yes the league might be able to interject - but with a contract like the above you can't really argue that there isn't risk for the team signing it. Tanev is not obligated to LTIRetire, so there is a chance he could still be chasing a cup 4 years in and decide he wants to keep going, even know he is not a 4M player.

A team could also reasonably argue that the cap is set to inflate dramatically. So by year 4 or 5, 3M-4M could be #6 D or bottom 6 forward type money since the cap could be 120M+ by then.

It's obviously circumvention in practice, but it doesn't become actual circumvention until there is proof of a previous agreement, direct or indirect (like a player taking a well compensated off ice job after retiring).
I was reading the Tanev thread on the Leafs board last night and they were all mostly celebrating this plan as the obvious slam dunk that was gonna happen. 7 or 8 x 3 mil is what many assumed.

Nice to see this put out there to hopefully stop teams from doing it. Obvious circumvention even if allowed.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
What do you like about his game other than being a former 6th overall pick?

San Jose, the worst team in the league by far, doesn't see any value in keeping him around. That should tell you a lot about his game.
With cap space potentially being tight after a Pinto re-signing+(hopefully) getting a top 4 D, Zadina could be signed for around 1 million, and can put up 20-30 points on our third line.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
With cap space potentially being tight after a Pinto re-signing+(hopefully) getting a top 4 D, Zadina could be signed for around 1 million, and can put up 20-30 points on our third line.
He had a half-decent season with San Jose. Put up 10 goals in a limited role.
I am not sure if he is cut out for the bottom-6 in the NHL but might be worth a shot.
Would he consider a 2-way deal?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I was reading the Tanev thread on the Leafs board last night and they were all mostly celebrating this plan as the obvious slam dunk that was gonna happen. 7 or 8 x 3 mil is what many assumed.

Nice to see this put out there to hopefully stop teams from doing it. Obvious circumvention even if allowed.

I don't think it will stop teams from doing it. The warning doesn't read to me like "do it and you will be punished". It reads more like "if you do it, don't leave any evidence or make us look stupid, or else we will have to punish you by taking a first round pick away from the Ottawa Senators...or something".

Reactions: Senscore

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Man we would usually get a bunch of “Player A is expected to sign with Team” announcements from insiders but not this year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Man we would usually get a bunch of “Player A is expected to sign with Team” announcements from insiders but not this year.
They got rid of the discussion period that used to exist a season or two (or more?) where players were allowed to talk terms with teams around the league a week before the opening of UFA period.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think it will stop teams from doing it. The warning doesn't read to me like "do it and you will be punished". It reads more like "if you do it, don't leave any evidence or make us look stupid, or else we will have to punish you by taking a first round pick away from the Ottawa Senators...or something".
Ya probably not, but I guess it's at least been addressed publicly. The intent with a contract like that is obvious.

Oct 10, 2010
From what I’ve seen expect ( but not confirmed)

Tanev - Toronto
Roy - Detroit
Stamkos - Nashville
Pesce- New Jersey
Montour - Utah
Jake - Tampa Bay
Reinhart - Florida
Domi- Toronto

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Carrier would be a good replacement for Brannstrom at similar dollars for sure. Right side and better player, even if they are both smaller players.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Way too much then. Something around 2M would work so he would fit on the 3rd pair if we get a better RHD like Roy as well.
AFP Analytics has Roy at 5yr $5.9M, how would folks feel about going 7yrs, $6.5M? Would take him to 36. Even if he turned that down it might serve to put the screws to Detroit and cause them to spend more.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
So purely his point production? Not sure that's really what we need. We have guys in the AHL that can probably pot 20-30 points and provide that kind of offense (I'm sure Jarventie and Ostapchuk, or even a Crookshank have the potential to put up around 20 points).

What Ottawa does need in their bottom 6 are some solid PKers, responsible players, and physicality, none of which Zadina provides.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00