Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I can't see us since the 18th in that chart. If it's the one with no team name then aren't we middle of the pack in chances allowed?

Yeah. Think the Rangers are the team all the way to the left. Completely weighted by the game against the Panthers, which I've admitted was one of, if not Talbot's best game.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
People keep for getting Lundqvist makes 20% more than any other goalie in the NHL, and 12% of our cap hit. He actually makes 11 million dollars this year,which is 16% of the cap.

Talbot makes 2% of our cap hit.

These factors need to be kept in mind.

Talbot is amazing. I love this kid. People are angry with how he played at the beginning. Do you know hard it is, to not see any game action, and then be thrust in to the position.
He got better and better as he acclimated himself.

Unlike Brodeur, who took discounts for years to stay with the devils and win championships. Lundqvist milked sather for every penny. (5th highest paid player in the NHL)

At the end of the day Talbot will leave us and become a starter elsewhere. Sadly, he will join a bottom feeder, where his confidence will get shot and goals will be piled on. Allowing Talbot bashers to say I told you so.

Sather needs to grow a pair and make the right move.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
force him out of town ... it's been done enough times

Force him out of town? Why are we forcing him out of town? Some people act as if Lundqvist was struggling before he got hurt and Talbot has carried the Rangers to a playoff spot.

Also can you explain to us again how the cap works.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
force him out of town ... it's been done enough times

Force the best goalie in franchise history out of town?

Get real.

Talbot will go be a starter somewhere else and that's fine. His hot streak is a win-win. Helped us get to 1st, also raises his trade value.

I must say, I question the sanity of people who legitimately think trading Hank and running with Cam is a good idea. Even forgetting how unrealistic it is, it's still a terrible idea.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Force Hank out of town...

That'd do wonders for NYR's reputation as a world-class organization that takes care of it's players. I'm sure the FAs will just be lining up to go to the team that traded away it's franchise goalie after his backup was excellent for 10 games.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
People keep for getting Lundqvist makes 20% more than any other goalie in the NHL, and 12% of our cap hit. He actually makes 11 million dollars this year,which is 16% of the cap.

Maybe this is new math...maybe the NHL has come up with a new way of calculating cap hits. :sarcasm: Somebody get Uncle Gary on the phone...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Why are people so insistent that $8.5m for Henrik ****ing Lundqvist wasn't a hometown discount?

How can people say that Hank DOESN'T get $10m or more on the open market? Because he does.

He really, really does. I promise.

Too bad there aren't any notable UFA goalies coming up. You guys think Price signs in Montreal for less than $8.5m AAV in the 2019 off-season? I don't. He's gonna lock up $10m at a hometeam discount. Would probably get $12m on the open market if all things project positively for the NHL.

Talbot's 12 good games mean as much to me as Skapski's two and Holt's 1.

Not to mention the team's world class defense in front of him, and how Henrik was outperforming Talbot's "insane" run before he got hurt.

I hate that I keep falling for the trap in this conversation though :(

We need to make a pact to just ignore the three guys blindly pushing that Talbot is better than Hank so we can actually have a discussion about how good Talbot has been for the Rangers and how excited I am that we're gonna get a 2nd round draft pick for him at the draft :naughty:

To Buffalo:

Talbot
Rights to Hagelin

To NYR:

Foligno
Buffalo 2nd round pick

: ohyeahkoolaidguy :

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Force Hank out of town...

That'd do wonders for NYR's reputation as a world-class organization that takes care of it's players. I'm sure the FAs will just be lining up to go to the team that traded away it's franchise goalie after his backup was excellent for 10 games.

We'd be just as bad as the Habs hypocrites. They'll run Price out of town as soon as he has a rough patch, just wait.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

Talbot is amazing. I love this kid. People are angry with how he played at the beginning. Do you know hard it is, to not see any game action, and then be thrust in to the position.

Unlike Brodeur, who took discounts for years to stay with the devils and win championships. Lundqvist milked sather for every penny. (5th highest paid player in the NHL)

At the end of the day Talbot will leave us and become a starter elsewhere. Sadly, he will join a bottom feeder, where his confidence will get shot and goals will be piled on. Allowing Talbot bashers to say I told you so.

That's good. The preemptive excuse is out for when Talbot fails.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I have been thinking more lately about Talbot's value.

Say similar to Halak, after his magical playoff run in 2010:

The Montreal Canadiens have made their goaltending choice — Carey Price stays and playoff hero Jaroslav Halak is off to the St. Louis Blues.

The Canadiens dealt Halak for two young forward prospects on Thursday, even though the 25-year-old usurped Price as their starting goaltender late in the NHL season and played brilliantly in leading them to a berth in the Eastern Conference final.

In return, Montreal got centre Lars Eller, who may be ready to play next season, and rugged winger Ian Schultz from the junior Calgary Hitmen, who will likely need seasoning in the minors.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/halak-blues/

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's not even like Hank has remotely started to decline yet. He's still prime Henrik Lundqvist and you want to trade him? Chances are Talbot never comes close to Hank's career, peak or consistency. So what are we even talking about?

Tokarski really stepped up in the playoffs last year, why didn't the Habs trade Price?

Man some people are so spoiled.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It's not even like Hank has remotely started to decline yet. He's still prime Henrik Lundqvist and you want to trade him? Chances are Talbot never comes close to Hank's career, peak or consistency. So what are we even talking about?

Tokarski really stepped up in the playoffs last year, why didn't the Habs trade Price?

Man some people are so spoiled.

Cam is going to get us a nice return as soon as this June. His timing just doesn't work well for breaking into a starting role on this team, despite being a potentially elite goalie (which remains to be seen). Sometime next year Skapski will be the permanent backup, he's going to be locked up on an ELC through 2017 and if he's proven his value and Hank starts to decline then you can start talking platoon. Until then Hank's throne isn't going anywhere

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Halak had played over 100 regular season and 19 playoff games for the Habs when he was traded.

Think Schneider, but worse.

2nd rounder at most. People thinking Talbot will get a 1st are out to lunch, IMO.

Talbot would need to have at least another season with close to 30 starts and then the schneider comparison becomes a bit fairer
Maybe in a weaker years draft would Talbot return a late first round pick, the way that they are touting this years draft I doubt that he could bring back a first

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Talbot would need to have at least another season with close to 30 starts and then the schneider comparison becomes a bit fairer
Maybe in a weaker years draft would Talbot return a late first round pick, the way that they are touting this years draft I doubt that he could bring back a first

I'll say it again: Talbot's 50-game NHL sample is completely consistent with the talent he displayed in Hartford. The Rangers won't trade him this summer unless they get a knockout offer, but I fully expect him to continue to play extremely well next season and if he's traded before the TD, we'll get a very good return.

Slats won't deal him for a second rounder. A #2 has only a 20% chance to make the NHL in any capacity, even as a #13F/7D. And even that won't happen for years. The Rangers will probably contend again next season, so they will want to keep a Lundqvist insurance policy over getting a pick that has an 80% chance of becoming a minor leaguer.

It's just not worth it to trade away Talbot for a non-first round pick when you are trying to win the Cup.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Halak had played over 100 regular season and 19 playoff games for the Habs when he was traded.

Think Schneider, but worse.

2nd rounder at most. People thinking Talbot will get a 1st are out to lunch, IMO.

People need to prepare themselves for a Bishop (STL to OTT) or Bernier type return rather than a Schneider one.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

You really should learn how the cap works :laugh:

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It's truly baffling how ungrateful some people are with guys like lundqvist. Do these people know how many franchises would kill to have a lundqvist regardless of cap hit? :facepalm:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
1. Talbot gets traded within the next 12 months.
2. Hank gets 60+ starts for another 4 years (15-16: 34, 16-17: 35, 17-18: 36, 18-19: 37).

I doubt Lundqvist lasts as a full-time starter for more than 4 or 5 more years. Take any great goalie and 37 was the max age that they were starting 60+ games per year (most less).

3. Skapski (will be 25), Halverson (will be 23), Shestyorkin (will be 23), or someone currently not in the organization take over.

That's how I see it unfolding.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Thank you for all you have done and have fun these last couple of games because THE KING IS BACK :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad