Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I also don't get the LA purple/yellow love. They've had black as their main color since 1988. 36 years. You'd have to be in your early 40's minimum to even remember their purple/yellow days. On this board, that's old.... as I'm in my 40's and I barely recall them in those colors.
I mean, the Kings have worn the purple and gold throwbacks numerous times in the last 15 years or so and have had two mighty sharp-looking purple and gold Reverse Retros within the last five. You don't have to have been around for the first 20 years of their existence to have seen them wear those colors.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Gold and purple make so much more sense for the Kings. Just look at what actual kings wore/wear. Or blue. Or red.

But I guess someone in marketing was convinced going back to their roots with black and grey/silver was the better move.

Last edited:
Reactions: piqued

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
The Ducks updated their orange for this rebrand and yes, the color is incredibly similar to the one the Flyers just embraced. Icethetics claims it's the exact same Pantone code—I don't think it will be that identical when revealed in full, but it's certainly damn close in the "spooky uniform reveal photography" lighting. I think the Ducks went a bit darker.

1500x500

Home-Jersey-1-1-.jpg

I have never seen any color remotely like that on a duck, by the way. It's just the "Orange County" thing driving the change.

You know what color I have seen on a duck? Teal! Or, more fittingly, I've seen teal on a teal. The word "teal" is a synonym for "duck." In fact, the name of the color derives from certain species of the animal.

It's also not uncommon for mallards to feature deep purplish hues on their rear feathers or, in rare occasions, on their heads. It's why the OG Ducks scheme was so good! Because it was related to ducks!

800px-Flickr_-_law_keven_-_Happy_Feathery_Friday......jpg

8603439880_83719f4e38_b.jpg

(I'm having fun on a dead Friday afternoon at work, this is not all that serious. But seriously.)
It’s already been confirmed by Icethetics that it is exactly the same orange. The big reason for the switch was it gets picked up better for the camera’s.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, the Kings have worn the purple and gold throwbacks numerous times in the last 15 years or so and have had two mighty sharp-looking purple and gold Reverse Retros within the last five. You don't have to have been around for the first 20 years of their existence to have seen them wear those colors.
Every team that swaps colors like LA, Van, Buf, Ana, etc. ultimately will have fans who prefer one set over the other. I grew up on the Canucks skate, but personally prefer the blue jerseys (but still hate the Orca logo). Black, because they wore those on the road, looked very dark in the less well lit arenas back in the day in the Forum in LA and the Joe in Det because the Canucks had no white stripes on the jersey. Numbers were yellow, with a red border and a white boarder. Name bar was just in yellow. But, there are Canuck fans who like the Black.

But, the trend for pro sports teams (especially in NBA/NHL) is to keep coming out with jerseys. Just more to sell.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
font on the new logo looks off...
The LA Kings’ statement of execution is hidden in plain sight.
The slogan for the rollout has been
Legacy Moves Us Forward
E792231B-88BE-4298-A995-07C4E7C477D5.jpeg

Reading between the lines, they’re pretty much saying they took the bolder 1967 wordmark , cleaned up the serif on the font here and there, then slanted it future forward.

13F11185-30D9-4511-8534-5E006A06A6DB.jpeg

Yes, it’s a “safe” update. I don’t mind it. I think it’s a good marriage of different KINGS eras. Fans of a fulltime purple/gold will probably have to wait a few more years.

It should be seamless to slap this “Legacy Forward” logo to their purple/gold ReverseRetro look.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Oh and I skipped this the first time around but it's also a crazy thing to say. What is this, the 1500s? Do we need to open new trade routes to India so we can get a purple team?
It's reality. I'm sorry that you don't understand supply chains, but they are real and have to be managed. The same color has to be reproduced exactly across hundreds of different materials from hundreds of different suppliers. That is not a remotely trivial process, it's just one that you take completely for granted since other people are the ones doing the work.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Ducks updated their orange for this rebrand and yes, the color is incredibly similar to the one the Flyers just embraced. Icethetics claims it's the exact same Pantone code—I don't think it will be that identical when revealed in full, but it's certainly damn close in the "spooky uniform reveal photography" lighting. I think the Ducks went a bit darker.

1500x500

Home-Jersey-1-1-.jpg

I have never seen any color remotely like that on a duck, by the way. It's just the "Orange County" thing driving the change.

You know what color I have seen on a duck? Teal! Or, more fittingly, I've seen teal on a teal. The word "teal" is a synonym for "duck." In fact, the name of the color derives from certain species of the animal.

It's also not uncommon for mallards to feature deep purplish hues on their rear feathers or, in rare occasions, on their heads. It's why the OG Ducks scheme was so good! Because it was related to ducks!

800px-Flickr_-_law_keven_-_Happy_Feathery_Friday......jpg

8603439880_83719f4e38_b.jpg

(I'm having fun on a dead Friday afternoon at work, this is not all that serious. But seriously.)
You've never seen a Duck's foot before? Look at the bottom right corner of your second duck picture.

I agree with you that it's the orange county homage driving this but come on.

Leon der Profi

Sieg and Destroy
Mar 23, 2007
Terrible Town So Sad
Both the purple Kings jersey and the old eggplant colored Mighty Ducks jersey work better as alternates I think. Especially the purple Kings jerseys you get tired of in the long run. Overall, both franchises have greatly improved their logos and jerseys. I just hope the Kings don't come back with that silly shiny helmet and stay classy.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The Orange isn't "incredibly similar" to the Philadelphia Flyers, it's literally the same pantone # as the Philadelphia Flyers. So yes, it's Flyer Orange that the Ducks just adopted/ripped off.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
The Orange isn't "incredibly similar" to the Philadelphia Flyers, it's literally the same pantone # as the Philadelphia Flyers. So yes, it's Flyer Orange that the Ducks just adopted/ripped off.
This isn’t the first time I’m seeing this statement regarding the pantone. Has this been confirmed anywhere? Serious question. Have the Ducks released something where it states the Pantone code of the leaked logo/jerseys?

Reactions: uncleben

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Probably because they’re paying some consulting company six or seven figures to do dumb ass wordplay association exercises with random sample groups. In their presentation they’ll add slides that say, “words people associate with the color black: powerful, mysterious, fierceness,” and some terrible VP of Marketing will buy into it and create a brand strategy around how tough the team will be.

The orange/black scheme is owned by the Flyers. The Flyers have always owned that color scheme and their jerseys look sharp despite orange being a tough color to look it. The Ducks have the worst jerseys in professional sports.

The early Canucks jerseys were pretty bad too.

Edit: I am referring to the early 80s uniforms.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
This isn’t the first time I’m seeing this statement regarding the pantone. Has this been confirmed anywhere? Serious question. Have the Ducks released something where it states the Pantone code of the leaked logo/jerseys?
Icethetics has confirmed it. He probably has done an insider interview with them ready to release like the Kings one he did.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Every team that swaps colors like LA, Van, Buf, Ana, etc. ultimately will have fans who prefer one set over the other. I grew up on the Canucks skate, but personally prefer the blue jerseys (but still hate the Orca logo). Black, because they wore those on the road, looked very dark in the less well lit arenas back in the day in the Forum in LA and the Joe in Det because the Canucks had no white stripes on the jersey. Numbers were yellow, with a red border and a white boarder. Name bar was just in yellow. But, there are Canuck fans who like the Black.

But, the trend for pro sports teams (especially in NBA/NHL) is to keep coming out with jerseys. Just more to sell.
I blame the fans. If they didn't buy all these uniform variations, there'd be no reason to make them. When you buy something, youkre effectively telling the seller what you want.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Love every skate uni, Black, white, yellow and red. The home especially make them look bigger and tougher imho. The current nucks uni's just seem so timid, especially the roads. Even the road skates appear stronger with the shade of white along with strong colours red, yellow and black. They just pop.

As for the kings the purple and yellows are beautiful but incredibly divisive and I'm assuming that's one of the main reasons they stuck with the blacks.

The ducks to me as a huge fan of orange look so much better and make sense being in orange county.
I really really hope that their eventual thirds go with the Jade and eggplant combo because while like the yellow and purple might be decisive, they are incredibly unique and thirds should be bold and I'm a fan of thirds having a call back to the past.

I will say all three team I mentioned their 90's unis were pretty much universally hated at the time.

I like bold and was in the minority back then but I do wonder if once the nostalgia wears off will people still want eggplant and Jade, or purple and yellow?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well this turned out to be an absolute nothingburger from both clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad