Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Just being honest, with this D and Benoit Allaire I would rather have Talbot for the next couple years at $4 mil + another top 6 forward/1st rounder than Hank.

I don't like paying this much money to an older Goalie. If we could move Hank we'd extend our window.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Just being honest, with this D and Benoit Allaire I would rather have Talbot for the next couple years at $4 mil + another top 6 forward/1st rounder than Hank.

I don't like paying this much money to an older Goalie. If we could move Hank we'd extend our window.

Great now there is 3 of them :sarcasm:

Back to topic, Hank has a full NMC! He wont be going anywhere.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder if these people would've traded Wayne Gretzky in his prime because he did not score 5 times the number of goals as some rookie, who was cheaper.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
I wonder if these people would've traded Wayne Gretzky in his prime because he did not score 5 times the number of goals as some rookie, who was cheaper.

Define prime...

Unless we are talking Jagr 33 is the back 9.

Dealing Gretzky in 1994 at age 33 would have been brilliant. Only had 2 more 20+ (23 and 25) G seasons

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Fair enough point. However I think a case could be made for selling high

http://hockey-graphs.com/2014/03/21/how-well-do-goalies-age-a-look-at-a-goalie-aging-curve/

Lundqvist is not being sold high low or ever.

The only way he ever leaves the Rangers is if he doesn't win here and wants to chase a Cup. Even then, Idk if he'd request a trade.

Talbot at 4-5m over Hank? Are you crazy? Hank is still in his prime and has literally showed ZERO signs of slowing down. I easily see 3 more years of elite play in him and even after that, who knows. The guy takes his conditioning and preparation extremely seriously and he's never had a serious injury (this one was a fluke, I'm talking knees, hips, shoulder). The way he plays and how seriously he trains and how sound he is in his technique, I wouldn't be shocked if he's still elite in the later years of his deal.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
Lundqvist is not being sold high low or ever.

The only way he ever leaves the Rangers is if he doesn't win here and wants to chase a Cup. Even then, Idk if he'd request a trade.

Talbot at 4-5m over Hank? Are you crazy? Hank is still in his prime and has literally showed ZERO signs of slowing down. I easily see 3 more years of elite play in him and even after that, who knows. The guy takes his conditioning and preparation extremely seriously and he's never had a serious injury (this one was a fluke, I'm talking knees, hips, shoulder). The way he plays and how seriously he trains and how sound he is in his technique, I wouldn't be shocked if he's still elite in the later years of his deal.

And if you look at other elite goaltenders, Marty (as much as I hate him) comes to mind... he won a Vezina at 36... he took his team to the SCF at 39... now I know Marty is the exception and not the rule but what's to say Henrik can't do that either...

Roy won a cup at 37... Henrik is clearly on the level of Roy and Brodeur... who's to say he can't last?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Define prime...

Unless we are talking Jagr 33 is the back 9.

Dealing Gretzky in 1994 at age 33 would have been brilliant. Only had 2 more 20+ (23 and 25) G seasons

You might want to factor in the number of assists Gretzky had into your equation for those years. He was tied for the league lead in two out of the last three years of his career.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Halak had played over 100 regular season and 19 playoff games for the Habs when he was traded.

Think Schneider, but worse.

2nd rounder at most. People thinking Talbot will get a 1st are out to lunch, IMO.

I'd expect a return similar to what Toronto sent LA for Bernier a second rounder and a mediocre prospect. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that they could swing a a late first from one of the teams that hold multiple picks though if you get 2 or 3 teams involved. Something like Talbot and a 3rd or 4th for Pitts first rounder held by EDM.... But that's best case scenario....

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd expect a return similar to what Toronto sent LA for Bernier a second rounder and a mediocre prospect. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that they could swing a a late first from one of the teams that hold multiple picks though if you get 2 or 3 teams involved. Something like Talbot and a 3rd or 4th for Pitts first rounder held by EDM.... But that's best case scenario....

I'd look into packaging him and Hagelin at the draft to Buffalo or Edmonton. Maybe then you get a late first or Buffalo's early 2nd + Foligno or something like that.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I'd look into packaging him and Hagelin at the draft to Buffalo or Edmonton. Maybe then you get a late first or Buffalo's early 2nd + Foligno or something like that.

I think that you should be able to get EDM or Buff early 2nd by making a small add. I'd personally like to keep Hagelin, and I'd be surprised if he can't be retained at a fair number. I think his speed is an asset that creates room for his line mates, and his PK is very valuable. If the numbers get too high, then I'd consider it though. It's just tough to trade one of your two fastest skaters when your a team built on speed.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think that you should be able to get EDM or Buff early 2nd by making a small add. I'd personally like to keep Hagelin, and I'd be surprised if he can't be retained at a fair number. I think his speed is an asset that creates room for his line mates, and his PK is very valuable. If the numbers get too high, then I'd consider it though. It's just tough to trade one of your two fastest skaters when your a team built on speed.

Don't disagree at all, could just be a #s game. Sending Hagelin out for Foligno gives us a new cost controlled asset for another year in Foligno, and then some as he's a RFA after 15/16. Plus, the kid can play.

Foligno - Hayes - Miller would be a third line with size not many teams around the league could match up against.

I'm not necessarily advocating this move, just not sure what management plans on doing in what is sure to be a busy off-season of making the cap work. Not to mention that Buffalo is very high on Foligno, as they should be.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Can those who want to trade Hank and keep Talbot because of their contracts please tell me how you plan to persuade Lundqvist of waving his full NMC to even be able to trade him?

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
Can someone please explain the trade scenario for Talbot? He signed a one year extension for $1.45 million. He told the press he took it because he wanted to stay in NY and continue working with Allaire. Maybe that's just talk, I don't know. What I want to know is if a team acquired him, would he still only make 1.45 as a starter for next year? How does this work? I am guessing that all these guys would love to play anywhere even for a pittance but it doesn't sound quite fair to me.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Talbot stayed because he wanted to learn from one of the best goaltenders in the game, gain that experience and insight, all while being coached by Benoit. Call it a conspiracy, but this makes 150% sense if I were in Talbot's shoes. Plus, he's playing for an Original 6, Stanley Cup contending team? :nod:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Yeah and 1.45M isn't chump change either for an unproven backup goalie

Rangers can trade him at any time, the 1.45 for next year is a positive for any team since he's locked up for at least one season

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Talbot stayed because he wanted to learn from one of the best goaltenders in the game, gain that experience and insight, all while being coached by Benoit. Call it a conspiracy, but this makes 150% sense if I were in Talbot's shoes. Plus, he's playing for an Original 6, Stanley Cup contending team? :nod:

I don't buy the love story about why he stayed.

I think it has more to do with $1.45M being a nice figure for a backup goalie and, before 20 games ago, nobody in the world thought he'd be in consideration to be a full-time NHL starter.

Anyway, the cheap price tag could/should play into his trade value for a team that would be foolish enough to take a gamble on him as a starter.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Anyway, the cheap price tag could/should play into his trade value for a team that would be foolish enough to take a gamble on him as a starter.
Huh? Talbot is in the top 1/3rd of the NHL goalies this season. He's THE top goalie in the NHL over the past 12 months (min 40 games played). There's no foolishness here, teams need goaltending and we have it to offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad