Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Qj7g9r5.png

Always getting lost in this discussion is just how well the Rangers are beginning to play in front of Cam. Not to take anything away from his performance last night which I think was his best since taking over. Three or four grade A saves and only a fluke shot gets passed him on the second night of a tough back to back.

Since Feb 18th the Rangers have been incredibly consistent with their scoring chances allowed outside of the Islanders game and a late Feb Flyers game.

This team is playing playoff hockey.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Qj7g9r5.png

Always getting lost in this discussion is just how well the Rangers are beginning to play in front of Cam. Not to take anything away from his performance last night which I think was his best since taking over. Three or four grade A saves and only a fluke shot gets passed him on the second night of a tough back to back.

Since Feb 18th the Rangers have been incredibly consistent with their scoring chances allowed outside of the Islanders game and a late Feb Flyers game.

This team is playing playoff hockey.

What would you say is the average, league wide for chances against a team.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
McD's lift of the stick may catapult the ultimate underdog goalie (imagine the pressure?) to our first Cup in 21 years! (unlike some here, I don't care who carries us to the Cup as long as we get the Cup; nice if Hank does it because he wants it so bad and the long tenure/accomplishments, but also nice if it's Cam - the ultimate underdog who had to replace the King).

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What would you say is the average, league wide for chances against a team.

This is full season. The Rangers are somewhere in that cluster**** towards the bottom left....

6dkeo4l.png

This is since Cam took over (but includes the Buffalo game Skapski started)...

sjlQGlQ.png

And this is since February 18th...

wyD91QP.png

EDIT - Man, the Islanders are a ****ing outlier :amazed: Regression incoming! :laugh:

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
McD's lift of the stick may catapult the ultimate underdog goalie (imagine the pressure?) to our first Cup in 21 years! (unlike some here, I don't care who carries us to the Cup as long as we get the Cup; nice if Hank does it because he wants it so bad and the long tenure/accomplishments, but also nice if it's Cam - the ultimate underdog who had to replace the King).

I wouldn't care if Martin Brodeur was signed off the streets and led us to a cup.

That being said, I would question management's decision to do so as Henrik would by far give us a better chance to win.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
This is full season. The Rangers are somewhere in that cluster**** towards the bottom left....

6dkeo4l.png

This is since Cam took over (but includes the Buffalo game Skapski started)...

sjlQGlQ.png

And this is since February 18th...

wyD91QP.png

EDIT - Man, the Islanders are a ****ing outlier :amazed: Regression incoming! :laugh:

Thanks! Great to see how the defense is coming together.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
I wouldn't care if Martin Brodeur was signed off the streets and led us to a cup.

That being said, I would question management's decision to do so as Henrik would by far give us a better chance to win.

It's Hank's health that I meant not management decision. Hank should play if he's healthy again unless he really stinks it up. I just get this bad feeling that he maybe done for this year. It's too quiet from the rangers. (and I would not want the cup if it's marty holding it up in a rangers sweater)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This is becoming an increasingly stupid thread. Henrik is by far the better goalie.

Having said that, Talbot has stepped up big time in his absence. He shutdown three quality teams in a row. That save last night on Backstrom might be the save of the year

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
It's Hank's health that I meant not management decision. Hank should play if he's healthy again unless he really stinks it up. I just get this bad feeling that he maybe done for this year. It's too quiet from the rangers. (and I would not want the cup if it's marty holding it up in a rangers sweater)

I think it's such a unique injury that the Rangers can't comment until he's fully cleared. It's not like a leg injury where he can continue to work on other things.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Talbot has 51 total games in his career.

Lundqvist has 705.

In what world does a hot streak usurp a future HOFer's resume to the point that hes the starter?

Flip him for a first rounder in June if the play keeps up and we win it all with Hank, granted he returns in time.

That's what is called smart asset management.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Gotta wonder if Cam would be re-signable at the same cheap cap hit had he not been re-signed yet.

It's a hot streak after he had a freezing cold streak. It's funny how people cherry pick the stats to say he is .968 in his last few games, but those same people don't say he went on a 7-game streak where he had 6 games with a below .900SV%

He has been good since the trade deadline, but he was Missiaen-esque in the weeks before that. I am happy he has found a way to outplay his opponent during this important stretch, but having a hot streak wouldn't have changed the fact that he is a back-up who got a good deal at 1.45 for 1 year. He would get the same deal if the negotiations would start today.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It's a hot streak after he had a freezing cold streak. It's funny how people cherry pick the stats to say he is .968 in his last few games, but those same people don't say he went on a 7-game streak where he had 6 games with a below .900SV%

He has been good since the trade deadline, but he was Missiaen-esque in the weeks before that. I am happy he has found a way to outplay his opponent during this important stretch, but having a hot streak wouldn't have changed the fact that he is a back-up who got a good deal at 1.45 for 1 year. He would get the same deal if the negotiations would start today.

Totally agree with the assessment of how he has played, but the fact that he has played in this stretch of games and put together a very good record makes me believe his value has risen some.

Hes going to play in at least 35 games or so it seems.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Talbot has 51 total games in his career.

Lundqvist has 705.

In what world does a hot streak usurp a future HOFer's resume to the point that hes the starter?

Flip him for a first rounder in June if the play keeps up and we win it all with Hank, granted he returns in time.

That's what is called smart asset management.

-30-

Concise logic.

That said, it's great to have Alabama - Huntsville in net.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Even if we win the cup with Cam, some people here would still say flip him for a pick. Despite of the fact that he's 6 years younger and almost $8 mio cheaper. Hank's middle name must be god.

The couple of extra mio that hank got could've cost us Zucc. Zucc took less to stay. That's more than what you can say for Hank. And if we don't have space to sign Hags, step?

Is one Hank better than Cam+Steph+Hags?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Totally agree with the assessment of how he has played, but the fact that he has played in this stretch of games and put together a very good record makes me believe his value has risen some.

Hes going to play in at least 35 games or so it seems.

Well, let's just say his value has risen in recent weeks after it dropped earlier on.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Even if we win the cup with Cam, some people here would still say flip him for a pick. Despite of the fact that he's 6 years younger and almost $8 mio cheaper. Hank's middle name must be god.

The couple of extra mio that hank got could've cost us Zucc. Zucc took less to stay. That's more than what you can say for Hank. And if we don't have space to sign Hags, step?

Is one Hank better than Cam+Steph+Hags?

If Cam becomes our starter, he's looking at at LEAST ~3.5M per year.

Hags will probably make around 3M

Step will probably make around 6.5

6.5+3.5+3= 14, not 8.5

Realistically, trading Hank and anointing Cam our starter would save us around 5M.

The question then becomes would I rather have Hank, or Cam and someone like Dan Boyle, Benoit Pouliot, Methot, Foligno.etc

And Hank>>>Cam+5m, AINEC.

And this is also not even touching upon the fact that your scenarios are all based upon fiction and what ifs. Your hypothetical ******** is irrelevant. A theoretical cap savings doesn't mean anything when we don't need to save.

The 5M difference in some alternate reality could be the difference between keeping Stepan or not. But in this universe, the one that you and I live in, it is not. We will keep Stepan without a problem. We will probably keep Hagelin as well if we get rid of Boyle which is looking more and more likely.

Unless of course you think getting rid of Hank is a more valuable option to the team than getting rid of Boyle.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Hank being a Top 3 goalie (as you say) is debatable. I'll take quite a few goalies over him.

And you'd be wrong.

The only goalie in the same stratosphere is Price.

Rinne had a good start to the year but Hank is such a better goalie than him. Quick has the playoff pedigree but his career stats are meh.

Price and Hank are the two best goalies in the league.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I would have. Dude has a career .921 save percentage playing majority of his games for Carolina. Yeah he's got 82 GP but still, too good of a number playing for such a bad team. He would have been .920 for us long term for sure.

Then you run into a problem where he's going to eventually want more money and that's when I send him packing and move onto the next cheap goaltender.

My point is to not fall in love with goalies because they are expendable.

This is unreal. You're 100% serious in saying you'd trade Henrik Lundvqist in his PRIME for a league average goalie?

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
This is unreal. You're 100% serious in saying you'd trade Henrik Lundvqist in his PRIME for a league average goalie?

Even worse. a 28 year old career back-up/AHL journeyman who currently has a .903%.

Why have the greatest goalie and a top-3 player to ever put on this uniform in his prime when you can have an AHL netminder and some cap space!

With that cap space... we may even be able to get ourselves... a top tier goalie!

(ignore the visuals, the audio is from a Family Guy clip, but I couldn't find a visual clip that didn't look like it was filmed with a calculator)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad