Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Hank is a better goalie than Cam based on his longer body of work. No doubt. Indisputable. And a 27 year old Cam at $650k or so is much better value than a 33 year old Hank at $8.5 mio with a $69 mio cap.

we've also seen before, hot goalies win Cups so we cannot just ride Hank if Hank doesn't come back as Hank. He hasn't played in over a month and we are a month away from the POs. That's a reality. We are very fortunate to have Cam.

I agree. Cam is a much better value at 562.5k than Henrik is at 8.5m. Henrik makes more than 19x his salary but is nowhere near 19x better.

Also, the people are saying that we have to roll with Henrik no matter what are mistaken. There's no way Henrik is going to outplay Cam the way he is right now. If Cam continues his play by the time Henrik is available I would just ride him out all the way. You gotta give your team the best chance to win and sitting out a red hot goalie for one who just got back after a long injury is not doing so, IMO.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I agree. Cam is a much better value at 562.5k than Henrik is at 8.5m. Henrik makes more than 19x his salary but is nowhere near 19x better.

Also, the people are saying that we have to roll with Henrik no matter what are mistaken. There's no way Henrik is going to outplay Cam the way he is right now. If Cam continues his play by the time Henrik is available I would just ride him out all the way. You gotta give your team the best chance to win and sitting out a red hot goalie for one who just got back after a long injury is not doing so, IMO.

Cam has an .850 SV % in the postseason.

Sample size be damned, right?

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
The one with astronomically more saves under his belt.

/thread

Why must you compare Cam's amount saves with Henrik's amount of saves? Look at it objectively. Cam has faced 1000+ even strength shots which is a pretty good sample size. You're saying he would break down below .920 if he faced another 9000? I don't think so.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Really? aren't we all grateful to have Cam as our backup?

The ungrateful ones want to toss Cam for a #1 pick ASAP.

Yes, we're all extremely grateful to have Cam as a backup.

A few of us aren't grateful for one of the greatest players to ever put on the Rangers sweater.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Why must you compare Cam's amount saves with Henrik's amount of saves? Look at it objectively. Cam has faced 1000+ even strength shots which is a pretty good sample size.

What are games, years, vezinas, playoff performances, and consistency Alex?

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Khudobin had a .926 SV% last year in 36 games. Should we have dealt Lundqvist for him?

I would have. Dude has a career .921 save percentage playing majority of his games for Carolina. Yeah he's got 82 GP but still, too good of a number playing for such a bad team. He would have been .920 for us long term for sure.

Then you run into a problem where he's going to eventually want more money and that's when I send him packing and move onto the next cheap goaltender.

My point is to not fall in love with goalies because they are expendable.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I would have. Dude has a career .921 save percentage playing majority of his games for Carolina. Yeah he's got 82 GP but still, too good of a number playing for such a bad team. He would have been .920 for us long term for sure.

Then you run into a problem where he's going to eventually want more money and that's when I send him packing and move onto the next cheap goaltender.

Doesn't this argument make Cam Talbot extremely overrated? He's putting up these numbers on arguably the best team in the league.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

My point is to not fall in love with goalies because they are expendable.

Thank GOD you are not our general manager.

EDIT: Tell me this. Who is one player that has been available over the last few years that would provide more value to the team than Hank based on the cap savings?

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Doesn't this argument make Cam Talbot extremely overrated? He's putting up these numbers on arguably the best team in the league.

He definitely isn't overrated lol. His numbers would be worse with a bad team for sure. Just like Lundqvist's would.
However, he's been godlike the last 8 games with a .954 save % which is unsustainable over the long run.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
NYRangers84;98970215 [B said:
He definitely isn't overrated lol.[/B] His numbers would be worse with a bad team for sure. Just like Lundqvist's would.
However, he's been godlike the last 8 games with a .954 save % which is unsustainable over the long run.

You said he's better than Lundqvist.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Thank GOD you are not our general manager.

EDIT: Tell me this. Who is one player that has been available over the last few years that would provide more value to the team than Hank based on the cap savings?

I would have to see a list of the players throughout those years but there would probably be several of them.

One that comes to mind is re-signing Anton Stralman.

Just think about it:
McD-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Klein-Yandle

Amazing defense. Talbot wouldn't have a problem at all holding the fort.

This wasn't done because of the paradigm we currently have of overrating and overpaying goaltenders.

Last edited:

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
You said he's better than Lundqvist.

Nah, I think they're both equal in stopping shots I just like Talbot's puck-handling better (but I like Lundqvist's shootout skills better). I said Talbot's a better value which is true, he's dirt cheap.

Last edited:

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Yes, we're all extremely grateful to have Cam as a backup.

A few of us aren't grateful for one of the greatest players to ever put on the Rangers sweater.

Really grateful that he gave us a ZERO % hometown discount at $8.5 mio a year to put on that Rangers sweater so he can make even more promotional $$ as the face of the franchise.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
we are so gonna cash in big time with cam talbot. he keeps playing like this and we have ourself a 1st round pick at the draft. easy.

you don't move henrik lundqvist, but you do move cam tabot. he's basically playing his way to a starting job for someone. a team like phoenix would love to have him. and i can think of a few others right now as well. edmonton perhaps.

duclair for cambot ? :laugh: or would we rather have the 1st rounder ?

either way, he's auditioning in front of the entire league and he's hit it out of the park.

and we stand to benefit big time.

:handclap:

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Really grateful that he gave us a ZERO % hometown discount at $8.5 mio a year to put on that Rangers sweater so he can make even more promotional $$ as the face of the franchise.

He's making nearly the same percentage per cap wise. He's the best goalie and got paid like one. Discount? He used to routinely carry us into the playoffs in the first couple of years. He deserves every penny.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
we are so gonna cash in big time with cam talbot. he keeps playing like this and we have ourself a 1st round pick at the draft. easy.

you don't move henrik lundqvist, but you do move cam tabot. he's basically playing his way to a starting job for someone. a team like phoenix would love to have him. and i can think of a few others right now as well. edmonton perhaps.

duclair for cambot ? :laugh: or would we rather have the 1st rounder ?

either way, he's auditioning in front of the entire league and he's hit it out of the park.

and we stand to benefit big time.

:handclap:

I'll take the first rounder lol. I have a feeling Duke is going to be a bust.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I would have to see a list of the players throughout those years but there would probably be several of them.

One that comes to mind is re-signing Anton Stralman.

Just think about it:
McD-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Klein-Yandle

Amazing defense. Talbot wouldn't have a problem at all holding the fort.

This wasn't done because of the paradigm we currently have of overrating and overpaying goaltenders.

We chose Dan Boyle over Stralman. This had NOTHING to do with cap space. Right or wrong, we felt like we needed a PP presence, so we took Stralman's money and gave it to Boyle.

Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad