Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
So lemme get this straight... Cam was below average for all but 5 games (and brilliant for 5)... and has a below .900 SV% in the playoffs... and has played a grand total of 2 playoff games...

And you wanna replace Henrik with him in what may be our only chance at the cup?

Sorry, but you're all completely lost. You've let a 5 game sample size work against nearly a decade of amazing play. I wish some of you would go on over to the main boards so you could get laughed out of there. The idea that we're even having this debate is absolutely insane. Its just mind boggling.

Pulling a hot Talbot for a cold Lundqvist would be a shame.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
Pulling a hot Talbot for a cold Lundqvist would be a shame.

No it wouldn't. Henrik is the best goalie on earth. Cam would tell you himself that Henrik is better than him. If you can't accept the fact that Henrik is the best goalie and gives the Rangers the best chance to win the stanley cup then you are not seeing reality. You just aren't.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I do, actually. I think Cam is a special goalie and he's going to be a top tier starter one day. He is so getting traded next year

Whether you believe that he will be a top tier goalie, that's fine. But if he kept up this 7 game streak, he would literally be the greatest goalie in NHL history. :laugh:

I just have a ton more faith in Lundqvist.

It's funny, you would think that taking us to our SC appearance in 20 years would let people realize how lucky we are with him, but nope.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Let's make pretend Lundqvist can play next game. Do you put him in or keep riding Cam til he falls off? I personally wouldn't mind riding Cam for a bit, but really not much longer. Let's be honest, this team needs Lundqvist in the playoffs. He needs time to get back into top shape. There's about a month left in the season, so there's not too much time.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Let's make pretend Lundqvist can play next game. Do you put him in or keep riding Cam til he falls off? I personally wouldn't mind riding Cam for a bit, but really not much longer. Let's be honest, this team needs Lundqvist in the playoffs. He needs time to get back into top shape. There's about a month left in the season, so there's not too much time.

Lundqvist. I think people are forgetting how locked in Lundqvist was before the injury. You go with the better goalie, and that's not even a debate. Lundqvist 100/100.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Cam is playing well right now, it's great to see him stepping up. He's auditioning to be a starter somewhere next season and he's doing a helluva job.

Can't wait til Hank comes back and has an off night, which he surely will while trying to round back into form, and dumbass fans start clamoring for Talbot.

Hank is the backbone of this team, a hot stretch from Cam doesn't change that. Even Cam knows that.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

All the more reason to get Hank in there and in game shape.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Fans of most teams would thank their lucky stars that they are so blessed to have an excellent backup.

But not here. Here it's time to trade the all-world goaltender who has consistently been among the league's best since he entered the league, is still at the top of his game, and is a proven performer under pressure to make room for a 27-year old backup who has had an excellent, if short, string of games.

The two are less than 5 years apart in age, while the Rangers' current starter is proven to play well, and perhaps even better, under the pressure of the playoffs.

In short, the Rangers have the best starting goaltender in the league. He is what EVERY goaltender, INCLUDING Talbot -hopes- they can one day be.

I don't understand why Rangers fans can't just appreciate that the team is lucky enough to have an excellent backup who could potentially start on another team, when many teams struggle to find a single good goaltender. Having a backup like Talbot is a luxury most teams don't have, and it's given the Rangers an incredible boost to have him play well while Lundqvist is out.

Instead, this thread and every other damn thread that has anything to do with goaltending or the general performance of the team where Talbot is mentioned is going to be dragged through the muck as a small handful of posters make posts full of extreme hyperbole regarding Talbot, which then drive even level-headed people nuts, perhaps justifiably so.

The bottom line: Cam Talbot hopes, like every other unproven goaltender hopes, to ONE DAY DOWN THE LINE BE WHAT THE RANGERS ALREADY HAVE IN LUNDQVIST. The very notion that he should replace Lundqvist in the midst of a Cup run is absolute insanity. What the hell is the point in continuing to suggest there's even a debate here?

I'll reiterate: The Rangers already have what even the most ardent supporter of Cam Talbot hopes he could one day be; an all-world, elite, consistent, proven top-3 goaltender who plays extremely well under pressure.

Even if you think/hope Talbot COULD be that some day, why gamble on it now? I just don't understand. I really don't.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
This is the first game that I thought Cam played lights out, a couple of unreal saves in the 3rd.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I'm not sure if this gem made it's rounds on this thread yet so here goes.

mrthxv.jpg

Compare this to about 2 weeks ago. :laugh:

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
People who want to trade Lundqvist are forgetting a essential part of any trade involving him. He has a ****ing full no-trade clause.

Even if the team landing Connor McDavid was willing to do the trade, which I would highly doubt, Lundqvist would never agree to it since that would mean him going to one of the worst teams in the league and leaving New York.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Hank maybe the greatest goalie on earth but in this age of hard cap, who in their right mind would allocated $8.5 mio to a goalie? He's not tradable.

I wonder what the sentiment on this board would be if hank for whatever reason is out for much longer and we ride Cam deep into the playoffs. There's no way you can pull Cam in that scenario. And if we win the cup with Cam?? omg the hank fan club would......

I want Hank to come back but given the way the TEAM and Cam are playing right now, I'm very confident of our chances. Just hope we are not peaking too early.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
People who want to trade Lundqvist are forgetting a essential part of any trade involving him. He has a ****ing full no-trade clause.

Even if the team landing Connor McDavid was willing to do the trade, which I would highly doubt, Lundqvist would never agree to it since that would mean him going to one of the worst teams in the league and leaving New York.

Not to mention he is:
The face of the garden of dreams
Is on MSG more than anyone else
The mask
8x beggings (lol)
And his team just invested 8mil / year in him

They are not going to move hank probably ever

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Fans of most teams would thank their lucky stars that they are so blessed to have an excellent backup.

But not here. Here it's time to trade the all-world goaltender who has consistently been among the league's best since he entered the league, is still at the top of his game, and is a proven performer under pressure to make room for a 27-year old backup who has had an excellent, if short, string of games.

The two are less than 5 years apart in age, while the Rangers' current starter is proven to play well, and perhaps even better, under the pressure of the playoffs.

In short, the Rangers have the best starting goaltender in the league. He is what EVERY goaltender, INCLUDING Talbot -hopes- they can one day be.

I don't understand why Rangers fans can't just appreciate that the team is lucky enough to have an excellent backup who could potentially start on another team, when many teams struggle to find a single good goaltender. Having a backup like Talbot is a luxury most teams don't have, and it's given the Rangers an incredible boost to have him play well while Lundqvist is out.

Instead, this thread and every other damn thread that has anything to do with goaltending or the general performance of the team where Talbot is mentioned is going to be dragged through the muck as a small handful of posters make posts full of extreme hyperbole regarding Talbot, which then drive even level-headed people nuts, perhaps justifiably so.

The bottom line: Cam Talbot hopes, like every other unproven goaltender hopes, to ONE DAY DOWN THE LINE BE WHAT THE RANGERS ALREADY HAVE IN LUNDQVIST. The very notion that he should replace Lundqvist in the midst of a Cup run is absolute insanity. What the hell is the point in continuing to suggest there's even a debate here?

I'll reiterate: The Rangers already have what even the most ardent supporter of Cam Talbot hopes he could one day be; an all-world, elite, consistent, proven top-3 goaltender who plays extremely well under pressure.

Even if you think/hope Talbot COULD be that some day, why gamble on it now? I just don't understand. I really don't.

Hank being a Top 3 goalie (as you say) is debatable. I'll take quite a few goalies over him.

Last edited:

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Let's not kid ourselves. When Lundqvist is back, he's our goalie. Talbot's been good, but Hank is Hank.

That being said, the one thing I do like in Talbot's game over Lundqvist's is his ability to play the puck. It helps our counter attacks.

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
So, anyone care to disagree with what I said at the deadline? Talbot will command a 1st round pick at the draft.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
So, anyone care to disagree with what I said at the deadline? Talbot will command a 1st round pick at the draft.

and what good is that #1 pick if Hank is hurt again? He'll be close to mid-thirties next year. Cam is only 27 now.

If Cam can command a #1, then the greatest goalie on earth should fetch at least several #1's? No? (not saying we should trade either).

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Hank is a better goalie than Cam based on his longer body of work. No doubt. Indisputable. And a 27 year old Cam at $650k or so is much better value than a 33 year old Hank at $8.5 mio with a $69 mio cap.

we've also seen before, hot goalies win Cups so we cannot just ride Hank if Hank doesn't come back as Hank. He hasn't played in over a month and we are a month away from the POs. That's a reality. We are very fortunate to have Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad