Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Maybe it took him a month to "get in form." People regularly give Hank 2-3 months to find his form as a starter. Cam certainly is not used to being an NHL starter.

Refer to Silverfish's post.

This team has been playing much better in front of him and he has stopped allowing unscreened point shots to beat him.

He was great against Detroit and last night though.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Again, and it still hasn't been addressed in these debates - Talbot's sample size against teams that aren't hand picked for him as the backup goalie is extremely small. SV% comparisons that include hundreds of games against every team, plus playoff games only against the best teams on one side, and mostly include games chosen for the backup on the other are extremely misleading.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
We can just sign Tokarski because he's just as good as Price.

What I wonder is why goalies are the only position which are apparently equal? Like why can't Tanner Glass play first line wing instead of Nash?

Look at Glass's stats and look at Nash's stats.

That is much much greater than the 1% difference we see between NHL goalies.

Nash>>>>>>>>>Glass but Lundqvist is not >>>>>>>>>> Talbot. I would say Lundqvist=Talbot, IMO, and the numbers back me up.

And to the poster who said we should just use Skapski as backup... I like to give goalies at least 1000 even strength shots against before judging them.

However, since Skapski would just be backup I'm willing to put that at 500 even strength shots against.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Look at Glass's stats and look at Nash's stats.

That is much much greater than the 1% difference we see between NHL goalies.

Nash>>>>>>>>>Glass but Lundqvist is not >>>>>>>>>> Talbot. I would say Lundqvist=Talbot, IMO, and the numbers back me up.

And to the poster who said we should just use Skapski as backup... I like to give goalies at least 1000 even strength shots against before judging them.

However, since Skapski would just be backup I'm willing to put that at 500 even strength shots against.

:facepalm:

I don't want to sound harsh, but with that avatar people will not take you serious when discussing Talbot, especially when saying these things.

Talbot who has not even played 100 games, is not at the same level as Lundqvist, despite having a similar sv% this season. That's not how it works.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
:facepalm:

I don't want to sound harsh, but with that avatar people will not take you serious when discussing Talbot, especially when saying these things.

Talbot who has not even played 100 games, is not at the same level as Lundqvist, despite having a similar sv% this season. That's not how it works.

However, since sample size is irrelevant. I think it's completely fair to question Talbot's .846 SV% in the postseason.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I've pointed this out previously, but perhaps I need to do it again.

In their careers, playoffs and regular seasons, here are the shot against totals for Talbot and Lundqvist:

Lundqvist - 19,910
Talbot - 1334

Talbot has faced just 6.7% of the shots Lundqivst has faced in pure total...

To put this in perspective, Mackenzie Skapski has faced 25 shots in his NHL career. That's 1.9% of the shots Talbot has faced in pure total.

If the Rangers were to start Skapski over Talbot for some reason moving forward, Skapski would only need to face 64 more shots to equal a workload total of 6.7% of Cam Talbot for a grand total of 89 NHL career shots against.

Perspective.

majesstik

Feb 13, 2015
i know everyone wants to compare hank to cam but in reality, there is no comparison. i would just like to point out though, how even over the course of this season and especially the last 15 or so games, you can see how much sharper talbot's game is and even though there are probably tons of reasons for it, but benoit allaire doesnt get enough credit. the amount of work he puts in with both hank and talbot really shows in stretches like these

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Cam, appreciate it brother.. Man has what it takes at this level. Games improving, looks like the man in net. Guy's turned what could have been a disastrous scenario into one of utter appreciation and respect...

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Love the way Talbot has played, but we have left points on the table because of Lundqvist's injury. That speaks FAR more about the quality of this team overall though and really isn't even a knock on Talbot. Rangers record with their backup is infinitely better than any other team's would be in the same circumstances.

What I'm really saying is that we should be elated with Talbot's play, but if you think Talbot > Lundqvist you're just a Lundqvist hater. This team without Lundqvist's injury would currently be on something like a 10 game winning streak and in first in the east.

This team is elite with Talbot in net... With Luindqvist in net with all of our deadline moves, it's downright petrifying for any other team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Love the way Talbot has played, but we have left points on the table because of Lundqvist's injury. That speaks FAR more about the quality of this team overall though and really isn't even a knock on Talbot. Rangers record with their backup is infinitely better than any other team's would be in the same circumstances.

What I'm really saying is that we should be elated with Talbot's play, but if you think Talbot > Lundqvist you're just a Lundqvist hater. This team without Lundqvist's injury would currently be on something like a 10 game winning streak and in first in the east.

I'm not sure the record would be any better. The circumstances might be different, but the record would likely be about the same.

I mean, they've left a total of 9 of 32 possible points on the table without Hank. Those numbers are absurd.

Otherwise, I agree. No way is Talbot > Lundqvist.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Talbot has faced over 1000 ES shots. I think that is a pretty good idea of his true potential.

If his overall save % was like .900 or maybe even .910 I could understand what you guys are saying but the guy is frigging .930!! How is that not on Lundqvist's level?

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Talbot has faced over 1000 ES shots. I think that is a pretty good idea of his true potential.

If his overall save % was like .900 or maybe even .910 I could understand what you guys are saying but the guy is frigging .930!! How is that not on Lundqvist's level?

Sean Avery led the league in goals per minutes played for LW in like 2011. He had 3 goals that year. Bring him back!

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
Some poster laughed at me when I said I was fine with trading a 1st in the Yandle trade because we'd get a 1st for Talbot. Only on HF are 1st rounders worth more than talented 27 year old goaltenders.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Some poster laughed at me when I said I was fine with trading a 1st in the Yandle trade because we'd get a 1st for Talbot. Only on HF are 1st rounders worth more than talented 27 year old goaltenders.

You have to look at nhl trades involving goalies. Certainly teams shouldn't be lining up to give a first rounder for a guy who has played 45 games. I hope they do though.

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
You have to look at nhl trades involving goalies. Certainly teams shouldn't be lining up to give a first rounder for a guy who has played 45 games. I hope they do though.

Cory Schneider? Guy played like 25-30 games a year for the nucks and commanded the #9 overall pick. If you don't think Sather can get a 1st for Talbot you've lost your marbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad