Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
And this is why we can't have nice things.

Seriously. If the team didn't bail Talbot out for 5 wins the team would be .500 without Henrik. Talbot was terrible at first, great lately. Anyone thinking he has more value than Henrik is delusional.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
What it looks like is he's having a good stretch.

After more than 20 games as a starter, we can draw more conclusions.

His first 7 he was below .900. He is inconsistent like most goalies. Hank is ridiculously consistent, which is why he's elite.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
His first 7 he was below .900. He is inconsistent like most goalies. Hank is ridiculously consistent, which is why he's elite.

He (Lundqvist) saves 1 more goal out of 125 shots on average than the average NHL goalie AND he plays on the NY Rangers. You can call that elite but I won't. Neither do I think it's worth 8.5m/year. Like I said I don't think any goalie is elite. The skill differences are negligible among goalies.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Consistency is the single most important aspect to a goalies game and Hank has that in spades.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
He has had far more better games than bad ones.

That is not true! Talbots first 7 games was sub .900. Since then he has been lights out but lets not kid ourselves, Talbot was thrash and the offence had to carry him before he settled down.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Talbot is proving himself to be a more valuable commodity game after game and better with each start. I wonder if teams will call the Rangers at the draft to check his availability. If they were able to get a first for him, that would be huge. You do it without a second thought.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
What bothers me is Hank will start off the season like hot garbage, and you guys just call it a bad stretch. Talbot has to start what would be a quarter of a season with basically no notice and has started every game except for one, he has a rough start, but then plays well, and you treat it differently. Talbot has been a monster for us, especially in big games, and this is where he was basically thrown into the fire to start what would be a large number of games. Yes, he struggled at first, but he has been absolutely superb lately. I don't think anyone can deny his talent, nor should they. I'm not saying he's a top 5 goaltender, but I bet there are a boat load of teams who'd love to have him on their team right now, and we should take advantage of that desire. Thank goodness we signed him to a 1 year extension earlier in the season. And I really feel like he was on edge at the trade deadline, that we'd get another goalie, but once he realized we had total faith in him, he's really stepped up his game. He's been really solid the last 4 games against really solid teams, and you can't debate that at all.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
I wonder if Talbot has been working very hard on his positioning. He has looked very much better after his first 6 games or so of this long stretch of being a starter.
He just looks better to me. Saw him tonight get pulled way over to the side by an attacking Islander but he stopped and held his position. I have never played the position but he looked like he knew where he was, and where he should be.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
What bothers me is Hank will start off the season like hot garbage, and you guys just call it a bad stretch. Talbot has to start what would be a quarter of a season with basically no notice and has started every game except for one, he has a rough start, but then plays well, and you treat it differently. Talbot has been a monster for us, especially in big games, and this is where he was basically thrown into the fire to start what would be a large number of games. Yes, he struggled at first, but he has been absolutely superb lately. I don't think anyone can deny his talent, nor should they. I'm not saying he's a top 5 goaltender, but I bet there are a boat load of teams who'd love to have him on their team right now, and we should take advantage of that desire. Thank goodness we signed him to a 1 year extension earlier in the season. And I really feel like he was on edge at the trade deadline, that we'd get another goalie, but once he realized we had total faith in him, he's really stepped up his game. He's been really solid the last 4 games against really solid teams, and you can't debate that at all.

Hank has been a monster since early December. Thats much more of a tear than anything Talbots done in his career. One is possibly the greatest Ranger of all time and the other is Cameron Talbot. Thats the difference. One has proved himself in over 600 games and has more shutouts than the other has games played.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Difference being that Hank has 10 seasons where he has proved himself. That is why he deserves some slack for bad stretches early in the season.

The rest of your post i agree with completely.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Henrik Lundqvist consistently starts slow and consistently ends great. When he gets off to a bad start, we call it a bad start, because that's all it is for him. He has demonstrated time and time again over many years that he is an elite goaltender. He has earned the benefit of the doubt, and then some.

Talbot hasn't earned that. And, the reality of this thread is that it would have died pages and pages ago had a couple guys not started up with the "Talbot makes Henrik expendable" ********. This whole thread has been one or two guys going back and forth with everyone else.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Only fair way to do this...

Since Talbot's first season:

Lundqvist- .921 save percentage
Talbot- .931 save percentage

Lundqvist's salary- 11m
Talbot's salary- 575k

That is a completely unfair difference in salary.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
I gave up getting through to these guys like a week ago.

Cam's good, and I was a huge critic, but he's not Henrik Lundqvist. Basically nobody is Henrik Lundqvist. Cam's not in the same hemisphere, and that's not a knock on Talbot, that's a compliment to Henrik. 25-ish starting goalies in the NHL aren't in the same hemisphere.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Only fair way to do this...

Since Talbot's first season:

Lundqvist- .921 save percentage
Talbot- .931 save percentage

Lundqvist's salary- 11m
Talbot's salary- 575k

That is a completely unfair difference in salary.

48 game sample size vs 102, yea okay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad