Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
I think what we should be asking ourselves is...
What would you rather have?
Option#1:
Henrik Lundqvist

Option#2:
Kreider
St.Louis
Talbot

After this season the combined salary of option 2 will equal option 1

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Option#1:
Henrik Lundqvist

Option#2:
Kreider
St.Louis
Talbot

Considering Kreider is getting a raise, and Talbot would get a fairly significant raise if he were elevated to the #1, I don't think thats a very fair or accurate question to be asking.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Option#1:
Henrik Lundqvist

Option#2:
Kreider
St.Louis
Talbot

Well, Kreider is about to get a significant raise and MSL has maybe one more quality NHL season in him, so...not that hard of a choice for me.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Talbot was a 3GAA just a couple of games back. He deserved the flack he was getting during the stretch where couldnt stop a beachball to save his life. Since then he has however reedem himself with excellent play.

No he wasn't. Talbot has had a sub 3GAA for a while now.

In fact, I brought up that very point when the "LOL WE NEED 2 SCORE 4 OR MORE LOL" posts were coming in. Funny thing is that they weren't that vocal after that stat was brought up.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Talbot is relatively unique in that he was playing well and still getting it. With, say, Hank, you'd have him getting it on a game he was letting up more than a couple of goals. With Cam, it would start even before a goal ("oh, guess we will need to score 3 or more!" despite the fact he is a sub 3 GAA goalie).

He's gotten it far more than a freaking back up ever should.

It's one thing to bash the stars when they aren't playing well. It's another to go after the guys thrust into a starting job and performing well.

This is true, and I agree with you that he gets unnecessary flak, but it's really only because of individuals that polarized the board by bringing up the Hank comparisons.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We could always look to pick up a locked up player and possibly have some salary retained by the trading team... would cost a pretty penny on the farm though...

Oshie comes to mind

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So, no 2nd line and lundqvist. Good pick!

Yeah, a relatively untested backup as a starter with nobody behind him, a 40 year old winger who is slowing down noticeably every season, and CK, who is huge and will be kept no matter what sounds so appealing.

This isn't even appropriate for this thread, so I won't go into the full details here. Bring this up in the team building thread if you need a full explanation of the various ways the team can, and almost certainly will, retain the most important players going forward while still paying Hank.

Talbot has played very, very well the last few games. He also played very poorly the first few games. It's easy and convenient to say he just needed some time to get into the groove, but it's also possible that he's not terribly consistent and he's on an upswing now. He likely deserves a shot at being a starter on a team that is desperate for one. This team isn't.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
No he wasn't. Talbot has had a sub 3GAA for a while now.

In fact, I brought up that very point when the "LOL WE NEED 2 SCORE 4 OR MORE LOL" posts were coming in. Funny thing is that they weren't that vocal after that stat was brought up.

Did you forget the stretch of games where Talbot let in 3 or more every game? That is the stretch and GAA i am refferring to.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Yeah, but there's also been a ton of people ******** on him in GDTs. It was really ridiculous. Thankfully those guys have been shut up as of late with his play.

It's not just one side. It's both extremes making outrageous comments.

That's because like I said despite their love of a sport a lot of folks don't really get the sport, or just sports in general. So they talk out of their ass. Add net anonymity and being immature to the mix and you get every HF GDT ever

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
To me the only thing that matters to this argument is that Talbot is signed only until the end of the 2015-2016 season, while the Rangers' starting, elite goaltender is in the beginning of a 7-year contract.

Talbot has shown enough to want (and deserve) a starting role somewhere. It can't be the Rangers, and shouldn't be the Rangers. So both to maximize his value as an asset and his opportunity elsewhere I suggest he be traded this offseason (assuming a buyer can be found willing to give up an asset of good value to the Rangers) and a vet backup signed to handle the light load as Lunqvist's backup.

Talbot hasn't played enough to show consistency. Who knows what he'll end up being. The Rangers right now have had the best, most consistent goaltender in the world since he entered the league. There's no room to promote Talbot, sadly for him.

But having an excellent backup who is ready to start is a good problem to have. If by some stroke of luck Talbot indicates to management that he's willing to stay as a backup for another year or two, by all means sign him again, but in any other scenario it's time to trade him. And that trade is well deserved.

Talbot has been a good soldier and a well-loved teammate. He deserves a shot to show what he can do as a team's starter.

I've thought about maximizing his value this off season via trade too. It's certainly possible. I suspect they'll hold off until we are into the season. make sure Hank doesn't suffer some early injury. Realisitically what do you think they could even get for Cam anyway? Schneider returned a single 1st round pick and he was way more valued than Cam is now It was a 9 so it was high at least but it was still one single pick for an established starter. It's a very deep draft. maybe if there is a player in the 2nd round they really like they'll try to go for it? Not sure too many teams would be willing to trade a 2nd for Cam. I think plenty of them should be willing to but the NHL doesn't value goalies highly in trades it seems.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Anyone seeing why I'm so p**ed we're spending 60 mill on Lundqvist?

Nope! And also, we just won against the Islanders and are 1 point behind them with 4 games in hand and you still want to **** around?!

Talbot was a beast tho!

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Dude. STOP.
Talbot is a UFA after next season. If he proves himself to be as good as you think he is, he's gonna cost upwards of $6M. Hank has been the most consistent goaltender in the NHL for 10 years. He's the best in the business. I don't understand your Hank animosity.

Talbot isn't even close to as good as Henrik. The guy has 40 some odd NHL starts. Hank has 300 wins. Please, just stop.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Dude. STOP.
Talbot is a UFA after next season. If he proves himself to be as good as you think he is, he's gonna cost upwards of $6M. Hank has been the most consistent goaltender in the NHL for 10 years. He's the best in the business. I don't understand your Hank animosity.

Talbot isn't even close to as good as Henrik. The guy has 40 some odd NHL starts. Hank has 300 wins. Please, just stop.

Wins are a team stat, but I'll stop just cause you asked nicely :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad