Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Only fair way to do this...

Since Talbot's first season:

Lundqvist- .921 save percentage
Talbot- .931 save percentage

Lundqvist's salary- 11m
Talbot's salary- 575k

That is a completely unfair difference in salary.

Talbot--RFA on a qualifying offer after playing 30 NHL games
Lundqvist--Former Vezina winner, sure-fire HOF'er, best goaltender we've ever had, on the equivalent of a UFA deal

Do you think before you post this nonsense? Or do you just like getting a rise out of people?

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
What the hell kind of math is this?

I'm saying Talbot saved 1% more shots than Lundqvist since playing his first NHL game and it is completely unfair that Lunqdvist makes 15x more his salary.

You're saying that Lundqvist played 102 games and Talbot 48. Lundqvist played 2.125x more games than Talbot. So if you want to use that as an argument then Lundqvist deserves 2.125x his salary which is $1.22m.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm saying Talbot saved 1% more shots than Lundqvist since playing his first NHL game and that is completely unfair that Lunqdvist makes 15x more his salary.

You're saying that Lundqvist played 102 games and Talbot 48. Lundqvist played 2.125x more games than Talbot. So if you want to use that as an argument then Lundqvist deserves 2.125x his salary which is $1.22m.

what about 613 career games to 48?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
He (Lundqvist) saves 1 more goal out of 125 shots on average than the average NHL goalie AND he plays on the NY Rangers. You can call that elite but I won't. Neither do I think it's worth 8.5m/year. Like I said I don't think any goalie is elite. The skill differences are negligible among goalies.

Listen, Talbot is not elite, nor should he be considered to be elite at this point. Moving forward, way down the line after he has accumulated 100 starts let's revisit the conversation. That being said he has the potential to be an excellent goalie and is going in the right direction

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Since I posted the avatar Talbot has been playing lights out.
for real though lol.

And the 2015 Cup Champs is going to be a reality :yo:.

He has been, Im just a little uneasy with the 2015 champ declaration haha. don't ****ing jinx it!!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Listen, Talbot is not elite, nor should he be considered to be elite at this point. Moving forward, way down the line after he has accumulated 100 starts let's revisit the conversation. That being said he has the potential to be an excellent goalie and is going in the right direction

200 games is the requirement to be on the all-time list. Lets discuss this then.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York

Agreed.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Your general point (which you are seeming to make in a cockamaimy way) that it is more prudent to spend dollars elsewhere and ride with an above average goalie at a more reasonable rate, I don't necessarily disagree with. Several teams have won Cups in such a fashion. I prefer having an elite goaltender and defense. But that's just me.

Your insistence that the difference between Cam Talbot and Henrik Lundqvist is negligible is why people are freaking out. You're a Rangers fan. How long have you watched the Rangers? Have you been a fan for Hank's entire career? You can't appreciate just how great he is? He's going to go down in history as one of the greatest goaltenders to ever play the game. Do you realize that?

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Yet it was okay to draw conclusions when he had a rough start?

:dunno:
No, it wasn't, what's your point? I'm assuming you're just making a general statement because I haven't flip flopped on my opinion of Talbot.

Edit:
Actually, I'm drawing my own conclusion about what your point is. It's satire, right? You're going way over the top to show how absurd the preference for Cam Talbot over Lundqvist is, right? Much like I did with the whole Avery cult thing?

Well done, you had me going there...

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Talbot has just been unreal these past few games. I think he finally started settling into being the starter, which is why he's been good. That, and the fact that the Rangers brass had confidence in him, and didn't try to trade for another goalie.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
200 games is the requirement to be on the all-time list. Lets discuss this then.

100 games should be a pretty good barometer of where we are in teams of Cams ability, over all record stats etc... After Lundqvist accumulated 100 starts he was anointed the King and savior of the franchise and he still had some short comings that improved over time.

Either way by the time Talbot reaches 100 starts i'm 99% certain it will be with another team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Talbot is playing better since the trade deadline. Maybe he was just worried about being traded. He is a great back-up and can turn into a solid starter, but not here, because we have Lundqvist.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Cambot getting it done

nd8y0g.jpg

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Talbot's been good, no doubt, but the team has really rallied around him. This defensive hockey they're playing right now had only been seen previously in random spurts during the year.

They took on some of the toughest competition in the league and effectively shut them down.

Been great work all around.

EDIT --

All data 5v5 via War-On-Ice

Well, up until last night's game the consistency was really getting there for Cam 5v5

HN9d89L.png

Not taking another screenshot where that 'Plot Area' isn't involved. Deal with it :p:

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think a goalie needs a season+ of being a #1 starter before you even talk about how he can consistently stack up against the rest of the league. Jim Carey, anyone?

I also maintain the thought that I don't think Talbot is going to be handed a starter's job by any team around the league at this point. They'll look at a 27 year old backup and say hes a product of the great team in front of him, which may be partly true. What sets Lundqvist apart is he's been doing this for much longer and did it on some pretty mediocre teams from 2005-2011.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Would you agree that Cam would be too expensive at 1.45mil next yr when they have Skapski who can produce the same results at a 1/3rd of the cap hit?

I wonder if this all goalies are equal ******** will change when we lose Talbot

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I wonder if this all goalies are equal ******** will change when we lose Talbot

We can just sign Tokarski because he's just as good as Price.

What I wonder is why goalies are the only position which are apparently equal? Like why can't Tanner Glass play first line wing instead of Nash?

surGeon

Mar 4, 2011
Hockey is a game of luck and there is no skill involved in any position. Tanner Glass is super unlucky.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
what about 613 career games to 48?

Hahaha this is exactly what I was thinking. What an absolute joke of a discussion.

Talbot is nowhere close to the talent that Henrik is. Talbot has had the luxury of playing behind two quality teams the past two years for his victories. And an even better offense this year. Meanwhile Henrik has played behind some just offensively challenged teams during his career and he is what made those teams consistently competitive. A lot of Talbot's flaws are being masked. His rebound control has been bad. It was bad last night at times. Can't have that happen against quality teams. We need Henrik back.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
Talbot is playing better since the trade deadline. Maybe he was just worried about being traded. He is a great back-up and can turn into a solid starter, but not here, because we have Lundqvist.

Maybe it took him a month to "get in form." People regularly give Hank 2-3 months to find his form as a starter. Cam certainly is not used to being an NHL starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad