Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The guy has had a few tough games. Last night he was very sharp. Did not look like a backup goalie.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
There were never any Talbot "haters" to begin with. The Talbot "haters" said Talbot is one of the best backups in the league.

The only reason the board has become so polarized on the issue is because one person had to say that Talbot is just as good as Hank, and that the Hank extension was a mistake because of how good Talbot was.

The Talbot "hate" is completely manufactured from the "Trade Hank" side of this board.
How dare you call him a backup you hater

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
:shakehead

Nothing can ever be fully enjoyed, there's always some kind of debate or something to discuss rather than just letting a good thing be enjoyed.

Kid was fantastic last night, team as a whole really.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Well he's gone two or three games without a soft goal/s, either he's getting used to the situation or he's getting a bit lucky.

All aside, we couldn't have asked for any better from a backup thrown in mid season to play every game for 6 weeks or so.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Utterly, completely, and categorically false. All you have to do is look up the game day threads where Cam let in soft goals and you'll see the dictionary definition of hate

You have to understand the difference between hate and hyperbole. Hank gets the same treatment when he ***** the bed.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
You have to understand the difference between hate and hyperbole. Hank gets the same treatment when he ***** the bed.

Hank is in an elite category very few goalies can ever touch. For some reason when Talbot is praised, to some people this equates to stating Talbot is as good or better.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Utterly, completely, and categorically false. All you have to do is look up the game day threads where Cam let in soft goals and you'll see the dictionary definition of hate

I don't think you understand the difference between people hating a player versus people hating the way a player played on a particular day.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Hank is in an elite category very few goalies can ever touch. For some reason when Talbot is praised, to some people this equates to stating Talbot is as good or better.

Actually, I think if you'd read this thread, you'd see a lot of the Talbot "haters" praising the way he is playing and thanking our lucky stars that we have him.

People get annoyed when people actually claim that in an ideal world, we should trade one of the best players in the history of this franchise to accommodate Talbot, that way we could use the cap space to sign #1C Paul Stastny.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's gone after next year regardless. So basically what it comes down to is, would you give up 1 year of Talbot for a 2nd round pick? If we trade him at the draft, we have plenty of time to address the backup situation.

We might have time to address it, but like I said, we've been pretty poor historically when it comes to addressing it. We found a very solid option in Talbot and he's done a bang-up job of keeping us at the top of the division since Hank went down. Imagine if we had a guy who fell apart like Biron? Or who was as grossly inconsistent as Valiquete? Might be a much different situation, and with a team who has cup aspirations this year and next year, we can't afford to cut corners.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The thing you guys have to remember is Talbot has a say in this also. Why would he stick with a backup job when he can make more money as a starter and get significant playing time?

If someone offers a 1st round pick for him, you take, run, and never look back. Well, maybe look back at the fact you got a 1st round pick for an undrafted FA.

Assuming this guy stays pretty consistent with his play until Hank comes back, the question you have to ask if whether you trade him now or at the trade deadline next season. He's signed for 1 more year at $1.5 million iirc. This year's draft is incredibly deep, so if you acn get a 1st round pick for him this year, you might want to consider taking it. However, next year, depending on the situation, you might get a better deal, however it's far more of a gamble. A team like Edmonton is definitely looking for a goalie, so if you can sell him to the Oilers, especially with how many assets they have, you might get a decent return and will have an easier time finding another backup. Signing him next year at the trade deadline is a gamble because you can't be sure how desparate teams would be for a goalie, and with his being signed only for next year, a team like Edmonton wouldn't pay much for a pure rental.

Talbot's been playing out of his freaking mind, and I hope he continues until Hank comes back, not just for the wins, but so he can become a valuable asset for us.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

I don't think these posters are haters of Cam. It just they are so in love with Hank that any admiration about a different goalie especially a NYR goalie, creates a huge irritation with these posters.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don't think these posters are haters of Cam. It just they are so in love with Hank that any admiration about a different goalie especially a NYR goalie, creates a huge irritation with these posters.
Admiration for other goalies isn't what irritates people, ignorance and disrespect does

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if we can get a 1st for him, he's gone. no doubt. that would be the best move for both parties.

then we can sign another backup with nhl experience. assuming hanks healthy of course.

hopefully, one of skaper, halvy or shesty will be the heir apparent to the king. I'm thinking 3-5 yrs away for that though.

when you back up henrik lundqvist, and you finally get playing time and start 20 games, you are auditioning for a full time job. he's past his audition. he's established that he's a legit minder.

cambot will be traded before he's resigned. it is what it is.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL

If that's your definition of hate, then this entire team is hated. Not one player on the roster is free of criticism. Our posters take players to the woodshed for any lapse in perfection on every GDT.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if we can get a 1st for him, he's gone. no doubt. that would be the best move for both parties.

then we can sign another backup with nhl experience. assuming hanks healthy of course.

hopefully, one of skaper, halvy or shesty will be the heir apparent to the king. I'm thinking 3-5 yrs away for that though.

when you back up henrik lundqvist, and you finally get playing time and start 20 games, you are auditioning for a full time job. he's past his audition. he's established that he's a legit minder.

cambot will be traded before he's resigned. it is what it is.

I agree, its also good asset management.

lets face it here. the team in front of our goalie is VERY good. you dont need an elite backup to get some wins.

play our backup in the soft games. if its skapski, its skapski.

i dont think backup goalie is that important of a position for us. I think starting goalie is.

Henrik is oneof the best in the universe. trade talbot for a first..im sure someone would give it up for him..hes looked REALLY good.

then use that player to help replenish the farm. again, with edmonton being what it is...i seriously wonder if you could flip talbot, hagelin, and mcilrath for their top pick.

im not saying i would if i were in their shoes...im saying, they are probably dumb enough to do it.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Outlandish comparisons and disrecpect is what creates irritation.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
If that's your definition of hate, then this entire team is hated. Not one player on the roster is free of criticism. Our posters take players to the woodshed for any lapse in perfection on every GDT.

That's true. But one player is free of it. You will catch lots of heat here if you break this rule.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
That's true. But one player is free of it. You will catch lots of heat here if you break this rule.

Is that so? Clearly you didn't watch the beginning of this year or every time Hank let in a softie in the playoffs last year.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
I think the only way you keep Talbot past his current contract in a backup role is if we win back-to-back cups, with him having a significant role with a good amount of playing time next year too. And you also have give him a nice raise on his next deal. If he sees it as an opportunity to win a third cup in a row he might stick around. But I think this is highly unlikely.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Is that so? Clearly you didn't watch the beginning of this year or every time Hank let in a softie in the playoffs last year.

:thumbu:

Lundqvist getting ripped for Stamkos breakaway and Stamkos open at faceoff dot near slot were my favorites.

Back on Talbot, really solid of late. Glad to see him pick up his game, goalies generally don't get much for trade value. I can't imagine him having a first. Maybe late 2nd? Are there any comparable situations?

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL

I have ripped Henrik to shreds for playing crappy hockey, which he was doing early this season. And yes, you do hear it from the Henrik cheerleaders, but oh well. There are staunch defenders of certain players all over the place. Years after Sean Avery left, we got threads on here about how we were going nowhere without his toughness and grit... it was nauseating. Especially since Henrik is actually good and Sean was a marginal NHL'er at that point.

Some people root for players over the team. I'm not one of those people, but you can't tell people how to appreciate the game.

Rip on Henrik all you want if he is playing ******. I do. There is no one immune to criticism on this team, IMO.

Edit: and to tie this in to Cam, he is getting his own cheerleading section now. Deservedly so, after some stellar play lately.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
#4 Trade him at the 2016 deadline to a team that is hurting for a goalie.(provided Hank is healthy)

I like #4 best
The problem with #4 is that the team will have had to carry 2 quality backups throughout the season. What netminder is going to want to toil in the minors until the trade deadline? And if you want to assume that one will be available at the trade deadline, that's usually when expiring UFA goaltenders are available. That's just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, it doesn't help the situation.

Better to trade him before the season, get a very good asset, and pick up a veteran who can rest Lundqvist for 20-30 games who is signed for more than one season.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
# 3 is the best option, but I agree it will never happen. Thank you Sather.
Only someone incredibly biased would believe #3 is the best option.

Talbot is a good backup and has a chance to be a decent NHL starter. He's not elite by any means. Lundqvist is the best at his position. He's the kind of netminder you win championships with.

Talbot is not. He's not consistent enough. Consistency is what separates the best from the rest. Talbot is in "the rest."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad