Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If I were GM, I would trade Talbot for a 1st rounder in this draft, preferably in the top 20. Maybe San Jose, who will certainly let Niemi walk, could bite at that deal.

And there is a big market for borderline starter goalies/backups this offseason. Gustavsson, Fasth, Niemi, Enroth, Neuvirth all seem like feasible backups, at least for the short term for this team. Sign one of them to a 2yr contract and hope Skapski is ready to backup the King when he's 22.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I'm really confused about something. I was told that Talbot sucks, but he continually has gotten better with more games.

Ita almost as if a goalie may struggle when thrown right into the thick of things after being a backup their whole NHL career.

...better yet, nah, just a hot streak. There's no way HF can be wrong!

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
If I were GM, I would trade Talbot for a 1st rounder in this draft, preferably in the top 20. Maybe San Jose, who will certainly let Niemi walk, could bite at that deal.

And there is a big market for borderline starter goalies/backups this offseason. Gustavsson, Fasth, Niemi, Enroth, Neuvirth all seem like feasible backups, at least for the short term for this team. Sign one of them to a 2yr contract and hope Skapski is ready to backup the King when he's 22.

If you can get a first in this years draft for Cam you gotta deal him. Roll with Skapski as the backup. The kid looks like he can play, plus like you said the market will be flush with goalies this off season.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm really confused about something. I was told that Talbot sucks, but he continually has gotten better with more games.

Ita almost as if a goalie may struggle when thrown right into the thick of things after being a backup their whole NHL career.

What is this logic talk that you are speaking. Damn it man this is HF boards not Vulcan!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Something like that. I remember being pissed that the Devils were going to draft Nichuskin then they traded it for Schneider

Yep that is the one. Pierre went bonkers after that trade too. My brother and I laugh our ***** off at that often

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Schneider was traded for the pick that became Bo Horvat.

We should be thankful that they made that trade since Horvat is looking like a stud and with out Schneider, the Devils are in contention for McEichel.

Theres a very realistic chance thats just it and honestly with the schedule being what it is, it couldn't have come at a better time.

Lets be real though, he sucked for the large majority of last month. Both he and the D in front of him have been better for the last 2 weeks.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

he did suck. whatever the reasoning is...he did suck.

just like Henrik sucked at the beginning of the past few seasons.

just because a player sucks for a time, doesnt mean people (at least most people) thinks he will always sucks..

i tend to evaluate what i see. if a player sucks, im going to say it.

he's been much much MUCH better of late, and is playing exactly the way i was hoping he would coming into this injury.

perfect time to sell high though.

i seriously wonder if you could get something like a top 10 draft pick for him + hagelin.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Talbot keeps building his value. I think his ceiling is now a very high second (Edmonton) or a late first but right now there are several teams that need a goaltender and there may be some real competition for his services. The only comparable player I see available is Martin Jones (LA) and he is an RFA with two more years of team control. Flipping him for a draft pick makes too much sense. Best of all, the teams I would think that would have the strongest interest (Buffalo, Edmonton, Dallas, Arizona, San Jose) have acquired extra draft picks in the 1st and 2nd round to help stir the pot. My guess right now is that he goes to Edmonton for their second (#32 as of this minute) That would be a huge win for all involved.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

Why would you want to trade a very good goaltender? Im not even saying that you may need him in a few years, when Hank pass his prime. But you do need a good backup to play part of the season so Hank is not out of gas come playoff time.
:shakehead

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Why would you want to trade a very good goaltender? Im not even saying that you may need him in a few years, when Hank pass his prime. But you do need a good backup to play part of the season so Hank is not out of gas come playoff time.
:shakehead
Cam Talbot may be increasing his value to the point where he'll definitely be leaving to become a starter for another team in a year and a few months. Which means that he's an expiring asset. It's relatively easy to sign a veteran UFA goaltender to be a backup. It will be much, much more difficult to entice Talbot to stay as a backup, when he could potentially start elsewhere.

So it's about asset management. And if Cam is worth a decent 1st round pick, and it seems likely that a decent UFA goaltender could be signed, it's probably in the Rangers' best interests to trade him.

To your point specifically, you don't need a starter playing backup to be a decent backup and reduce Lundqvist's load. You just need a decent backup.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Cam Talbot may be increasing his value to the point where he'll definitely be leaving to become a starter for another team in a year and a few months. Which means that he's an expiring asset. It's relatively easy to sign a veteran UFA goaltender to be a backup. It will be much, much more difficult to entice Talbot to stay as a backup, when he could potentially start elsewhere.

So it's about asset management. And if Cam is worth a decent 1st round pick, and it seems likely that a decent UFA goaltender could be signed, it's probably in the Rangers' best interests to trade him.

To your point specifically, you don't need a starter playing backup to be a decent backup and reduce Lundqvist's load. You just need a decent backup.
Hank will be 35 in a few years. You need someone to play at least 30 games a season. Not only play but win a lot of these games as well. But I do understand your point that a player like Talbot cant be a backup much longer since he is elite IMO.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If the Rangers don't sell high of Talbot this off season, they will lose him for nothing the next. With the Rangers dearth of high picks the next two years its the best way to recoup assets.

Asset management at its best. If they can get a mid to late first they could move up in the first if they wanted to by adding their 2nd (preferably) in 2016. By making a couple moves the Rangers could end up with a 10-20 pick in a good draft. Sign one of the top UDFA's with the addition of Hayes this year would make up for not having their own first the last 4 years.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hank will be 35 in a few years. You need someone to play at least 30 games a season. Not only play but win a lot of these games as well. But I do understand your point that a player like Talbot cant be a backup much longer since he is elite IMO.

We have a lot of guys in the system. Skapski, Halverson and Shesterkin all have a chance to be at least a quality backup in the NHL. There's also talk from Brooks that we are trying to sign Matt O'Conner from BU.

Talbot has been great for us, but if we can get a low 1st/high 2nd for him in this draft, I think we have to do it.

NYRANGERAMI*

Well, it happens during games as well. Folks are to impatient. They want an immediate result. Somethings take a struggle to accomplish. Growing pains, what have you.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd be really surprised if a team was willing to give up a 1st round pick for Talbot. I'm also hesitant to deal him as this team has had a very difficult time finding adequate back-up goaltenders over the years. If a team offered a 1st? Yeah, you'd almost have to deal him to recoup a lost asset, but I'd balk at anything below that or a very good prospect.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd be really surprised if a team was willing to give up a 1st round pick for Talbot. I'm also hesitant to deal him as this team has had a very difficult time finding adequate back-up goaltenders over the years. If a team offered a 1st? Yeah, you'd almost have to deal him to recoup a lost asset, but I'd balk at anything below that or a very good prospect.

He's gone after next year regardless. So basically what it comes down to is, would you give up 1 year of Talbot for a 2nd round pick? If we trade him at the draft, we have plenty of time to address the backup situation.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
He's gone after next year regardless. So basically what it comes down to is, would you give up 1 year of Talbot for a 2nd round pick? If we trade him at the draft, we have plenty of time to address the backup situation.

What you say makes sense, but there is one little detail. Do you really believe that Hank can play till his is 40 and maintain the same level of play as he does now? Do you remember Marty in his late 30th?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What you say makes sense, but there is one little detail. Do you really believe that Hank can play till his is 40 and maintain the same level of play as he does now? Do you remember Marty in his late 30th?

When he went to the cup final?

The funny part is it's not like Talbot is some spring chicken in his early 20's

As others have said, I don't expect a 1st round pick return for him and I don't expect a team to hand over the #1 goalie spot to him. We'll see.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think we have HAnk at his best for this year, next year, and the year after. We'll see a slight decline, but Hanks work ethic will buy 1-2 additional years of play, perhaps not elite, but mostly formidable play. With our Defense rounding into form, and having some up and coming key guys, I think it's easy to swallow.

Hank is 33 as of today (Birthday was a week ago). His contract takes him to 40 years old... I think he plays like he is now until he is around 36 years old, and I think the following 2 years he still plays in solid form, which takes him to 38. Shestyorkin or Halverson can play full time backup at that point, each should be capable of taking 35 games/year at that rate.

Believe both goalies are 18. Assuming in 6 years they are ready to go, Hank will be in the final 2 years of his contracts.

The best becomes the starter, the next best becomes the backup

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Imagine if someone on here said talbot would only let in 3 goals between Nashville, Detroit and Chicago like a week ago? They would be burned at the stake.

Glad i was one of the people that actually believed in the guy every step of the way.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I knew he'd be capable. Those taking huge ***** on him after:
5 bad games, while taking over a starter position, while playing in a New York market, while trying to help the team tread water to hold a top 4 spot in the conference, while the defense was a **** show thanks to the 6D spot not getting solidified....

I can go on. The guy was thrust into a very difficult situation, and he's stayed cool and calm over the course of it. Nevesis posted some solid material after loss #2 Talbot posted. He's been spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad