Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Don't see why the backup is a conversation piece other than the bad goals he's given up that creates tension for the fans.

Guy is 7-1-2 since Hank went down. Most would consider it a good thing if the backup went 5-5 in a ten game stretch with the starter out.

Cam needlessly handles the puck a little too much, but out of the possible 20 points, he's gotten 16. How much more can you ask for?

The team in front of him scoring nearly 4 goals per game has gotten a lot of points. Cam giving up a softie nearly every start hasn't helped.

God Bless the rest of the roster for stepping up. I don't recall Lundqvist getting goal support like this at any point in his career.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Our defense wouldn't allow the goalie to have an .870 sv%. His would be league average at least .910.

No matter what I say you guys have your mind made up so I respectfully agree to disagree.

And to the poster(s) that is insulting me, you are showing your true colors.

Thats funny, because they basically have...

Talbot has given up 7 goals that he should have had, 4 of which were atrociously unforgivable and not on the defense what so ever (Robidas, Tavares, Boychuk, Savard.)

If he stops those 4, his sv% is right at .910.

The D in front of him hasn't been great, but hes just as much to blame for the recent spike in GA as they are.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York

Talbot has given up 7 goals that he should have had, 4 of which were atrociously unforgivable and not on the defense what so ever (Robidas, Tavares, Boychuk, Savard.)

The D in front of him hasn't been great, but hes just as much to blame for the recent spike in GA as they are.

Not debating that, he has been poor lately. I have faith he will turn it around though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Let's quantify this!

Rangers (all situations) scoring chances against/game since 2/4: 27.1

Rangers (all situations) scoring chances against from Oct - 2/3: 24.4

Worse, by a pretty good margin.

Here's what's worse:

Rangers % of scoring chances against that turn into goals against since 2/4: 10.7%

Rangers % of scoring chances against that turn into goals against from Oct - 2/3: 9.5%

Worse, by a pretty good margin. So, even if the Rangers were giving up a normal amount of scoring chances against, Talbot still getting burned 1.2% more of the time.

Which means, if the Rangers were giving up 24.4 scoring chances against, which they were doing before Hank went down, at a 10.7% clip? 2.61 goals against per game. At a 9.5% clip? 2.32 goals against per game.

This is frightening, it is. Do you see the Rangers scoring 4 or more goals a game this consistently forever? I don't.

D needs to be better.

Talbot needs to be better.

(I wonder what those percentages look like excluding the Buffalo game)...

Trade Lundqvist, start Skapski.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Believe it or not, an argument that Talbot is playing great is stronger than your core argument that all NHL goalies are basically the same.

All NHL goalies are the same. The Rangers would get the same performance from Cam as they would from Hank. Now that we're actually seeing it happen and it's nothing like that at all, I'm sure it's a statistical aberration.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
All NHL goalies are the same. The Rangers would get the same performance from Cam as they would from Hank. Now that we're actually seeing it happen and it's nothing like that at all, I'm sure it's a statistical aberration.

You're talking about a 9 game sample size.

And I don't think all NHL goalies are the same. Some are slightly better than others.

It's the difference in the amount of money some make that I have a problem with.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
You're talking about a 9 game sample size.

And I don't think all NHL goalies are the same. Some are slightly better than others.

It's the difference in the amount of money some make that I have a problem with.

You based Talbot's future on a 20 game sample size.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
I'm also talking about a tremendous dip in quality of goaltending.

Not fair since people would bring up the point of sample size if Talbot was playing exceptional. You have to keep it fair both ways.

Right now all we can say is Talbot has played poorly since taking over as starter. That doesn't mean he would post a 90 Save% over a 65 game season. 9 games isn't enough to judge.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
You based Talbot's future on a 20 game sample size.

43 games is much better than 9 games.

Since last season (incl. playoffs) Talbot (in 43 games) has an AdSv% of 92.94 and Lundqvist (in 127 games) has 92.63
Hence, Talbot at the moment is 4-5% better than Lunqdvist judging by the most important goalie stat we have.

I'm just stating facts. Talbot shouldn't be called a lifetime backup because he has a bad stretch of games.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not fair since people would bring up the point of sample size if Talbot was playing exceptional. You have to keep it fair both ways.

Right now all we can say is Talbot has played poorly since taking over as starter. That doesn't mean he would post a 90 Save% over a 65 game season. 9 games isn't enough to judge.

Doesn't mean it's enough to form a conclusive argument either way. It sure doesn't look good though.

Your claims about goalie difference have been outlandish in my opinion from the start. We're seeing why now.

If you're waiting for Cam to get 65 games for comparison, you're making a point that will never be proven or disproven because he's never going get that many games on this team.

Also, this stretch, while a small sample is lending credence to the idea that starting is harder than being a back up, which is pretty foundational to most people's critique of your theory.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Doesn't mean it's enough to form a conclusive argument either way. It sure doesn't look good though.

Your claims about goalie difference have been outlandish in my opinion from the start. We're seeing why now.

If you're waiting for Cam to get 65 games for comparison, you're making a point that will never be proven or disproven because he's never going get that many games on this team.

Also, this stretch, while a small sample is lending credence to the idea that starting is harder than being a back up, which is pretty foundational to most people's critique of your theory.

Fair enough. But Talbot is getting more games before Lundqvist returns which should give us a slightly clearer picture of how good he is.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Aside from him stopping more pucks, I'm also hoping he plays the puck well like he did last game. Those breakout passes are a thing of beauty when he gets them right.

Agreed. I think he gets a little too carried away with them sometimes though too. He's got to find a happy medium where he goes from them when the opportunity is there but doesn't force them when they're not.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Agreed. I think he gets a little too carried away with them sometimes though too. He's got to find a happy medium where he goes from them when the opportunity is there but doesn't force them when they're not.

Yeah happy medium is right, he's too trigger happy. It would be pretty awesome to have him score an EN goal though. When was the last time a Ranger goalie did that?

Edit: Wikipedia says it's been done 14 times but never by a NYR goalie.

surGeon

Mar 4, 2011
TALBOT CONFIRMED FOR BETTER THAN LUNDQUIST AND BEST GOALIE IN THE VERSE. ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR.

#tradelundquist

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
TALBOT CONFIRMED FOR BETTER THAN LUNDQUIST AND BEST GOALIE IN THE VERSE. ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR.

#tradelundquist

lol Talbot is better statistically but needs more GP to know for sure if he's better.
His puck handling skill on top of his stats makes a hell of a case though.

Please don't shoot me down again guys, I'm still hurting from last time lol.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
lol Talbot is better statistically but needs more GP to know for sure if he's better.
Talbot's stats and his puck handling skill makes a hell of a case though.

I don't even know where to begin. Talbot makes absolutely zero case that he's better than Lundqvist. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad