Proposal: Calgary/Los Angeles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
To LA:
Monahan, Valimaki and Wolf

To Calgary:
Kopitar

Why LA does this?
They are a rebuilding club with little need of an aging $10m center for the next 2 years after this one.

Monahan-27 yrs old($6.3M for 1 more year)) is coming off of hip surgery, but is a proven 30 goal/60+ point guy, if he regains form it's a huge win, if not let him walk for the cap space.

Valimaki-23 years old($1.55m for 2 more years RFA) is a talented top 4 Dman but currently isn't get much play from Sutter for 2 reasons, the crazy play of Kylington and Sutter likes his big bad bruisers on the bottom pair, most Flames fans are pissed he's not playing, he could drop into the top 4 on just about any team.

Wolf-20 years old(AHL rookie) 2 time WHL goalie of the year and has started his pro career in fine form, 6-0-2 with a 2.22 GAA/931 SAV

Why Calgary does this?
Sutter wants to win in the next 2 years and then retire to the farm, even at 34 Kopitar fits the bill of the big talented center if only for 2 years, Valimaki would be a tough loss but Kylington came out of nowhere and took his spot, I have no doubt Wolf will be a good goalie but with Markstrom being signed long term and Vladar being under team control long term I think the Flames are just developing him for someone else(sad story of the Flames)

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This doesn't work cap wise for Calgary. Kopitar also has a 7 team trade list and I'm not certain he would waive for Calgary.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
To LA:
Monahan, Valimaki and Wolf

To Calgary:
Kopitar

Why LA does this?
They are a rebuilding club with little need of an aging $10m center for the next 2 years after this one.

Monahan-27 yrs old($6.3M for 1 more year)) is coming off of hip surgery, but is a proven 30 goal/60+ point guy, if he regains form it's a huge win, if not let him walk for the cap space.

Valimaki-23 years old($1.55m for 2 more years RFA) is a talented top 4 Dman but currently isn't get much play from Sutter for 2 reasons, the crazy play of Kylington and Sutter likes his big bad bruisers on the bottom pair, most Flames fans are pissed he's not playing, he could drop into the top 4 on just about any team.

Wolf-20 years old(AHL rookie) 2 time WHL goalie of the year and has started his pro career in fine form, 6-0-2 with a 2.22 GAA/931 SAV

Why Calgary does this?
Sutter wants to win in the next 2 years and then retire to the farm, even at 34 Kopitar fits the bill of the big talented center if only for 2 years, Valimaki would be a tough loss but Kylington came out of nowhere and took his spot, I have no doubt Wolf will be a good goalie but with Markstrom being signed long term and Vladar being under team control long term I think the Flames are just developing him for someone else(sad story of the Flames)
The cap doesn’t work for this proposal, unless Calgary can clear about 2mil in a separate trade.

Can’t see why the Kings would want Monahan back in any deal.

LA has many goalie and defensive prospects so Calgary would have to up the offer to acquire Kopitar.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Add in a first, top prospect (other then Coronato) and Lucic for cap. Would Kings fans do it?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I appreciate everything Kopitar is, but a 10M dollar 1C doesn't make a ton of sense for us. Lindholm is a 1C. If we need a center our cap situation dictates we rent one like Kadri or Hertl. I'm not sure we do need one. I think we need a RHS RW.

Reactions: MapleLeafs94

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why would the Kings ever trade Kopitar and piss off their fanbase like that?
Because he's 34, makes 10M per and they are kind of rebuilding? I wish we had traded Iginla at 32 instead of 35. The return would have actually been something.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If picks and prospects are involved i would do it

Something like 1st + Lucic + Dillon Dube + Wolf
Certainly a fair trade. Just doesn't work for our cap moving forward. We don't have room for a 10M 1C. We also have Lindholm. Our hole is a RHS RW and we need to rent him. We are already needing to drop 5M in salary somewhere for next year at minimum.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Given the moves made by the Kings this past off-season, I do believe they thought their rebuild was over...

With that said, if I were the Kings and I was looking to send Kopitar to Calgary, I'd try to bring in a 3rd team like Arizona...

Calgary out: 2022 1st & 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Wolf, Valimaki, Monahan, Lucic, Pitlick
Calgary in: Kopitar, Brown (50% retained), Kessel (50% retained)

Los Angeles out: Kopitar, Brown (50% retained)
Los Angeles in: Wolf, Keller, Valimaki, Pitlick

Arizona out: Keller, Kessel (50% retained)
Arizona in: CGY's 2022 1st & 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Monahan, Lucic

Calgary are all in with a major upgrade at C and RW, while also clearing the salaries of Monahan and Lucic from next season's payroll

Los Angeles add an elite goalie prospect from California in Wolf, a young top 6 winger in Keller who's signed long term, and a young LD with upside who could benefit from a change of scenery. With Quick signed to just 1 more season, the timeline of Wolf's promotion works well, as he can split time with Petersen in 2024 and 2025, before taking over the starter's job in 2026 as Petersen's contract comes off the books

Arizona get another 2022 1st, and 2 more 2022 2nds, while also clearing Keller's contract off their books. Monahan and Lucic are just a couple of warm bodies to help them reach the cap floor next season

Possible Flames top 9:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Kopitar - Brown
Coleman - Backlund - Kessel

Possible Kings lineup:

Keller - Byfield - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Danault - Kaliyev
Kempe - Turcotte - Vilardi/Kupari

Reactions: BSHH

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Given the moves made by the Kings this past off-season, I do believe they thought their rebuild was over...

With that said, if I were the Kings and I was looking to send Kopitar to Calgary, I'd try to bring in a 3rd team like Arizona...

Calgary out: 2022 1st & 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Wolf, Valimaki, Monahan, Lucic, Pitlick
Calgary in: Kopitar, Brown (50% retained), Kessel (50% retained)

Los Angeles out: Kopitar, Brown (50% retained)
Los Angeles in: Wolf, Keller, Valimaki, Pitlick

Arizona out: Keller, Kessel (50% retained)
Arizona in: CGY's 2022 1st & 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Monahan, Lucic

Calgary are all in with a major upgrade at C and RW, while also clearing the salaries of Monahan and Lucic from next season's payroll

Los Angeles add an elite goalie prospect from California in Wolf, a young top 6 winger in Keller who's signed long term, and a young LD with upside who could benefit from a change of scenery. With Quick signed to just 1 more season, the timeline of Wolf's promotion works well, as he can split time with Petersen in 2024 and 2025, before taking over the starter's job in 2026 as Petersen's contract comes off the books

Arizona get another 2022 1st, and 2 more 2022 2nds, while also clearing Keller's contract off their books. Monahan and Lucic are just a couple of warm bodies to help them reach the cap floor next season

Possible Flames top 9:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Kopitar - Brown
Coleman - Backlund - Kessel

Possible Kings lineup:

Keller - Byfield - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Danault - Kaliyev
Kempe - Turcotte - Vilardi/Kupari

You have made this worse for LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad