Proposal: Calgary/Los Angeles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not nearly enough for Kopitar. Monahan is essentially a cap dump at this point, and even still not enough cap going to LA.

Maybe something like:

Monahan
Lucic
Valimaki
Pelletier
2022 1st

for

Kopitar
Moore

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Not nearly enough for Kopitar. Monahan is essentially a cap dump at this point, and even still not enough cap going to LA.

Maybe something like:

Monahan
Lucic
Valimaki
Pelletier
2022 1st

for

Kopitar
Moore

Pelletier and the first definitely have value. You have said Monahan is a camp dump, so what does that make Lucic? Moore can definitely be had but this is getting too cloudy. IF La moves kopitar one of the goals will be to make room for some of their prospects. Bringing in two cap dumps (not that I really think Monahan is one) does not do that.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Don't think he is worth his contract

Agreed, however, he might be close to it if he was able to play alongside some all-star talent...

He's still only 23, so put him on a line with Byfield, and see if that takes his game to the next level

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pelletier and the first definitely have value. You have said Monahan is a camp dump, so what does that make Lucic? Moore can definitely be had but this is getting too cloudy. IF La moves kopitar one of the goals will be to make room for some of their prospects. Bringing in two cap dumps (not that I really think Monahan is one) does not do that.
They are both cap dumps, but you could probably retain on Monahan and flip him for actual assets at the deadline (since you have the cap space to do so).

Valimaki should also have a good amount of value, he just turned 23 and is definitely an NHL quality defender.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They are both cap dumps, but you could probably retain on Monahan and flip him for actual assets at the deadline (since you have the cap space to do so).

Valimaki should also have a good amount of value, he just turned 23 and is definitely an NHL quality defender.

Valimaki cannot be core piece of Kopitar deal.
The first and Pelletier are to take on the cap dumps

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Agreed, however, he might be close to it if he was able to play alongside some all-star talent...

He's still only 23, so put him on a line with Byfield, and see if that takes his game to the next level

Still would not like that deal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Valimaki cannot be core piece of Kopitar deal.
The first and Pelletier are to take on the cap dumps
Monahan as a cap dump still has value, it's just essentially neutral because of his cap hit. And he and Lucic are only on the books for another 1.5 years so it's not a long term cap commitment.

Monahan at 50% retained probably returns at least a 2nd round pick, which is something LAK should be willing to consider given their cap situation. You could probably do something similar with Lucic and get a 3rd/4th round pick.

Valimaki
Pelletier
2022 1st
2022 2nd
2022 4th

for

Kopitar
Moore
$5M retained on Monahan/Lucic contracts

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Monahan as a cap dump still has value, it's just essentially neutral because of his cap hit. And he and Lucic are only on the books for another 1.5 years so it's not a long term cap commitment.

Monahan at 50% retained probably returns at least a 2nd round pick, which is something LAK should be willing to consider given their cap situation. You could probably do something similar with Lucic and get a 3rd/4th round pick.

Valimaki
Pelletier
2022 1st
2022 2nd
2022 4th

for

Kopitar
Moore
$5M retained on Monahan/Lucic contracts

Still more quantity vs is quality. Don't get me wrong there is value there, but if LA was moving Kopitar there would have to be one key piece coming back.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

The only all star talent LA has is being moved out in this thread. Why would LA trade Kopitar for a guy who might be able to take his game to the next level if given elite linemates? If LA is trading Kopitar (for some reason), only elite players should be in the conversation to come back LA's way.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Given the moves made by the Kings this past off-season, I do believe they thought their rebuild was over...

With that said, if I were the Kings and I was looking to send Kopitar to Calgary, I'd try to bring in a 3rd team like Arizona...

Calgary out: 2022 1st & 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Wolf, Valimaki, Monahan, Lucic, Pitlick
Calgary in: Kopitar, Brown (50% retained), Kessel (50% retained)

Los Angeles out: Kopitar, Brown (50% retained)
Los Angeles in: Wolf, Keller, Valimaki, Pitlick

Arizona out: Keller, Kessel (50% retained)
Arizona in: CGY's 2022 1st & 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Monahan, Lucic

Calgary are all in with a major upgrade at C and RW, while also clearing the salaries of Monahan and Lucic from next season's payroll

Los Angeles add an elite goalie prospect from California in Wolf, a young top 6 winger in Keller who's signed long term, and a young LD with upside who could benefit from a change of scenery. With Quick signed to just 1 more season, the timeline of Wolf's promotion works well, as he can split time with Petersen in 2024 and 2025, before taking over the starter's job in 2026 as Petersen's contract comes off the books

Arizona get another 2022 1st, and 2 more 2022 2nds, while also clearing Keller's contract off their books. Monahan and Lucic are just a couple of warm bodies to help them reach the cap floor next season

Possible Flames top 9:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Kopitar - Brown
Coleman - Backlund - Kessel

Possible Kings lineup:

Keller - Byfield - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Danault - Kaliyev
Kempe - Turcotte - Vilardi/Kupari

Why do we suddenly include Arizone in here?

There are some agreements already and Kopitar is not leaving without 1st coming back.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Monahan’s ice time and production is dropping like a rock.

If Monahan wasn’t a center he probably would have been healthy scratched already.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The only all star talent LA has is being moved out in this thread. Why would LA trade Kopitar for a guy who might be able to take his game to the next level if given elite linemates? If LA is trading Kopitar (for some reason), only elite players should be in the conversation to come back LA's way.

That's all well and good to say, but which team is trading an elite player for a 34 year old Kopitar?

Reactions: Big guns

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
My guess is that if it was easy it would have happened this offseason. That allows you to keep 2 of them assuming you can move Monahan. You're losing one of them still.
I think they could have moved Monahan if they wanted to just not for any value. They want to build it up. And if I had to i would move Tkachuk. I do not think he is worth 9-10 Mill. I was pissed they didn't include him for Eichal. If we would get Kopitar this season along with the 3 wingers we could maybe make a push for a cup even.

tarapoto2006

Mar 2, 2018
No thanks I'd rather have a proven 30 goal scorer as my third line centre and keep the top 4/possibly top 2 future dman. We're in first place and we didn't sell the farm for Eichel, why would we give up Monahan and Valimaki, let alone any other pieces, for 35 year old Kopitar?

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad