C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
All i know is that if we were in europe, a local kid would be referred to any one part of the same country, regardless of which city he's from.

If columbus doesn't see a fellow american as a local kid under the context of having to draft a swede or a russian, then i think it underlines some fundamental issues with america.
? Montreal misses out on draft lottery for local kid, Connor Bedard.

Reactions: Anardil

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What if the kid was from Gaspesie?

Wouldnt he be considred to be local?

Gaspesie is 2 1/2 hours away, further than Columbus and Boston
I'm not familiar with all of the cities and towns in Quebec.

If a player grew up in Calgary (3 hour drive) we would not consider him a "local kid". At least I wouldn't. He'd fall more into the "alberta boy" category, and anyone outside of that would be a canadian kid.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
All i know is that if we were in europe, a local kid would be referred to any one part of the same country, regardless of which city he's from.

If columbus doesn't see a fellow american as a local kid under the context of having to draft a swede or a russian, then i think it underlines some fundamental issues with america.
That's because European countries are much smaller, and more comparable to individual states than the entire country.

For reference, Ohio has a larger population than Sweden.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
That's because European countries are much smaller, and more comparable to individual states than the entire country.

For reference, Ohio has a larger population than Sweden.

No it has absolutly nothing to do with that.... its because in europe countries are actually united, the culture is shared amongs the people.

You're focused on the tree in front of you and not the forest behind

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

"Local players" are really kind of a novelty. Sometimes it works on the ice/field and from a marketing standpoint but those situations don't present themselves very often. Besides, Americans don't really seem to care where a player is from.

Reactions: Monk

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I'm not familiar with all of the cities and towns in Quebec.

If a player grew up in Calgary (3 hour drive) we would not consider him a "local kid". At least I wouldn't. He'd fall more into the "alberta boy" category, and anyone outside of that would be a canadian kid.

Everything is relative towards your perspective and the scale.

Under the context of CBJ, which has 3 players to pick from, 1 american, 1 swede, and 1 russian, its ok to say the american is a local boy relative to the other 2.

I dint say he's a ohio loco...

Any way who cares.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
No it has absolutly nothing to do with that.... its because in europe countries are actually united, the culture is shared amongs the people.

No, you're just assuming something that isn't true. Not being local has zero negative connotation like you seem to be assuming.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Sure, keep telling that to yourself.

What if the kid was from Gaspesie?

Wouldnt he be considred to be local?

Gaspesie is 2 1/2 hours away, further than Columbus and Boston
Is there an NHL team is Gaspesie? Because there is one in Boston. In fact, there are many teams that are closer to Boston than Columbus.

In your analogy, Connor Bedard would indeed be "a local kid" for Montreal. That's how ridiculous you sound.

So instead of just admitting you were mistaken, you double down and claim that it's not you who is actually wrong, rather that an entire country is fundamentally flawed.

Brilliant piece of rationalization.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Your English is great, you're just not using "local" correctly in this context. Don't sweat it.

Local is a relative term. It varies with the context.

On an international level, local = country
On a national context, local = cities/states/regions
With in the context of the universe, local = galaxies group
On a galaxy level, local = systems/group of systems etc.

I think people are used to talk about local kids at a national level, this is why they got confused with what i said.

I was using it at an international level, ex: american boy being selected before the europeans.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Local is a relative term. It varies with the context.

On an international level, local = country
On a national context, local = cities/states/regions
With in the context of the universe, local = galaxies group
On a galaxy level, local = systems/group of systems etc.

I think people are used to talk about local kids at a national level, this is why they got confused with what i said.

I was using it at an international level, ex: american boy being selected before the europeans.

The context here is specifically "hockey prospects" and in that context, you're wrong. People have already explained why, so I'm going to bow out now.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The context here is specifically "hockey prospects" and in that context, you're wrong. People have already explained why, so I'm going to bow out now.
bow out as much as you want,

i'm still not wrong

thank you

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
A league which 25/32 in the States make its a national level of local

Canadians can still sometimes be the local kid because they have 7 franchises in their major population centers

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
"I'm not wrong, it's everyone else that is wrong. And if I am wrong, it's only because there is something fundamentally wrong about America"

Where did i say that? You made a whole straw-man argument based off the way i used the word "local"??

I love America, i have no idea what you're talking about

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Where did i say that? You made a whole straw-man argument based off the way i used the word "local"??

I love America, i have no idea what you're talking about
Here:

Reactions: CutOnDime97

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
A league which 25/32 in the States make its a national level of local

Canadians can still sometimes be the local kid because they have 7 franchises in their major population centers

Yes at a national level, local would refer to states/regions/cities.counties etc.

However im not american, im from the outside, for me and for everyone else living outside of america, an american team picking the one american boy of lot of 3 players could be considered "local". Same culture, same country, same ethnicity (arguably).

There's no reason to be offended.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Do you have proof that CBJ management is not considering Smith as a local boy under the highlighted context?

I rest my case
Yes, because they aren't crazy people.

You said "If columbus doesn't see a fellow american as a local kid under the context of having to draft a swede or a russian, then i think it underlines some fundamental issues with america."

So either it's "I'm right" or "there a fundamental issue with America".

Reactions: Riggins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad