C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I still want in him LA so we have all of The Fresh Princes

1684255749781.png

1684255768019.png

Hopefully soon...

1684256358011.png

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The fresh prince of the US National Team Development Program, Smith is the team’s top centre. He recently led the American squad to the gold medal at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Smith scored nine goals and 11 assists for 20 points in the nine-game tournament. Smith led the tournament in goals and points. He was named Tournament MVP, Best Forward, a tournament All-Star, and a top-three player on the team. This performance came on the heels of an incredible season with the NTDP. He put up 51 goals and 76 assists for 127 points in 60 games.

Smith also played in the 2022 Under-18s, winning a silver medal as an underage player. He put up two goals and two assists in four tournament games. Smith split the 2021-22 season between the NTDP Under-17 and Under-18 teams. He scored 31 goals and 33 assists for 64 points in 63 games. Smith is committed to playing his college hockey for the Boston College Eagles next year. Should he change his mind and go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL. They drafted him ninth overall in the 2021 QMJHL American Draft.

Good writeup overall, but the first three words make your site look a bit non-serious and could deter people from future clicks, just as a friendly heads up.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Good writeup overall, but the first three words make your site look a bit non-serious and could deter people from future clicks, just as a friendly heads up.

Im sorry that we made a small joke and want to have a little fun in our articles.

Like anything, some people liked the joke and some people dont. Sorry you fall in the second group.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have major questions about whether Smith will actually project/play as a C in the NHL.

He's a massive talent - a Patrick Kane style hot dog with magic hands/vision/creativity and elusive skating - but his motor/three-zone game is very poor for a player with aspirations of quickly getting to the NHL. Constantly blowing the zone early. Big circles when his team loses the puck. Consistently gliding back as the last man behind the play defensively. Low motor, very limited compete level defensively.

To me he looks like a guy cut from the Kane/Gaudreau/Zegras cloth (and yeah Zegras is playing C in the NHL, but the fact he's playing C is one of the reasons Anaheim finished last). Same deal as with Kent Johnson who appears hugely questionable to stay at C right now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have major questions about whether Smith will actually project/play as a C in the NHL.

He's a massive talent - a Patrick Kane style hot dog with magic hands/vision/creativity and elusive skating - but his motor/three-zone game is very poor for a player with aspirations of quickly getting to the NHL. Constantly blowing the zone early. Big circles when his team loses the puck. Consistently gliding back as the last man behind the play defensively. Low motor, very limited compete level defensively.

To me he looks like a guy cut from the Kane/Gaudreau/Zegras cloth (and yeah Zegras is playing C in the NHL, but the fact he's playing C is one of the reasons Anaheim finished last). Same deal as with Kent Johnson who appears hugely questionable to stay at C right now.
Pretty low on the list of factors, but sure. Either way he'll probably be moved to wing to run a one-two punch of Fantilli and McTavish

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

We'll find out when he's drafted. If a team thinks he's a C in the NHL that could be the difference in him going over Carlsson or Michkov. If no team views him as a C then he probably falls lower.

Based on Bob's last rankings though, I would say it sounds like teams think he can be developed into an NHL centre.

Reactions: CanuckCity

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Pretty low on the list of factors, but sure. Either way he'll probably be moved to wing to run a one-two punch of Fantilli and McTavish
When you're drafting a guy to be your 1C franchise guy to build around, those are pretty high on the list of factors...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
When you're drafting a guy to be your 1C franchise guy to build around, those are pretty high on the list of factors...
Zegras was drafted 9th overall. You're not usually looking for franchise 1Cs in that slot, but that's besides the point. There are a multitude of factors that made Anaheim awful this year. Looking at a team leader in scoring who is a sophomore player for the two way game you expect from a center when said two way game is still developing, that's a pretty low consideration on the list.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Zegras was drafted 9th overall. You're not usually looking for franchise 1Cs in that slot, but that's besides the point. There are a multitude of factors that made Anaheim awful this year. Looking at a team leader in scoring who is a sophomore player for the two way game you expect from a center when said two way game is still developing, that's a pretty low consideration on the list.
Sorry misread your quote, didn't see your highlighted part, thought you were talking about Smith.

Reactions: HanSolo

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Welcome to Columbus, in all likelihood

No for real, i hope your Management is thinking of grabbing him, there's nothing better than having a local kid develop into a superstar. I think he'll fit CBJ perfectly.

Columbus should take him at 3.
Sharks should take Michkov at 4.

Yes, Smith to CBJ is the best for both the NHL and the club.

Assuming the NHL lottery is rigged, i don't think they'll have an issue arranging this either.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If CBJ takes Smith, I’m 98.9% sure the Sharks take Carlsson. Big, Swedish center will be irresistible.
I kind of agree with this. Although I have the Jackets taking Carlsson and the Sharks taking Michkov, if the Jackets opt for Smith, I think the Sharks can't pass on a future Carlsson-Eklund combo meal.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I don’t consider Connor McDavid to be a “local kid” for the Oilers.

You said "local kid".

Boston is not local to Columbus.

Unless you think there are 25 teams that could draft him as a "local kid"

You got to pick a player from Sweden, Russia and USA.

In this context it is correct to use the word local boy, i think it was self evident.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
When people talk about drafting a "local kid" it has a specific meaning

All i know is that if we were in europe, a local kid would be referred to any one part of the same country, regardless of which city he's from.

If columbus doesn't see a fellow american as a local kid under the context of having to draft a swede or a russian, then i think it underlines some fundamental issues with america.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad