C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm sticking with that I think he could be a left-handed lazy seasons Panarin. A million assists. Can score goals when he wants to, but going to be a lot more assists. The skating, compete, size, and perimeter play is not going to be a strength and could detract from how good he is, but if you put up a million points it doesn't matter, as long as you aren't paying that guy as one of the top players in the league.

That's only the upside. Downside is like a Ryan Spooner empty calorie points player that can't stick in the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I'm sticking with that I think he could be a left-handed lazy seasons Panarin. A million assists. Can score goals when he wants to, but going to be a lot more assists. The skating, compete, size, and perimeter play is not going to be a strength and could detract from how good he is, but if you put up a million points it doesn't matter, as long as you aren't paying that guy as one of the top players in the league.

That's only the upside. Downside is like a Ryan Spooner empty calorie points player that can't stick in the NHL.
Ryan Spooner is just mean. At one point, I thought Spooner had a shot to be a superstar. Spooner was flat out allergic to defense

I understand the comparison but Perrault is much further along defensively than Spooner ever was. Offensively, I definitely see the comparison. I do think Spooner was a better skater at that age but Perrault's hockey sense is on another level from him

Perrault feels like the classic player who just gets better the more comfortable they are. It took him a few games to get used to the speed, space and timings and now, he's playing great. BC's powerplay looked like trash for the first couple games and now a lot of the play on the first unit ends up going through him and it looks light years better. He's also grinding it out in the corners more as the season has progressed and gotten used to the physicality

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ryan Spooner is just mean. At one point, I thought Spooner had a shot to be a superstar. Spooner was flat out allergic to defense

I understand the comparison but Perrault is much further along defensively than Spooner ever was. Offensively, I definitely see the comparison. I do think Spooner was a better skater at that age but Perrault's hockey sense is on another level from him

Perrault feels like the classic player who just gets better the more comfortable they are. It took him a few games to get used to the speed, space and timings and now, he's playing great. BC's powerplay looked like trash for the first couple games and now a lot of the play on the first unit ends up going through him and it looks light years better. He's also grinding it out in the corners more as the season has progressed and gotten used to the physicality
My worry with him defensively is that he’s at best average against juniors/college players, and the height, weight, speed limitations are real and will only become more more severe as he reaches the NHL, even if the effort and hockey sense allows him to not be bad at it now.

If he committed to making it a focal point I think he could be a quality defensive player purely due to how good his hockey sense is, but there are trade offs. If you commit that much to the defensive side, you are probably taking some points off the scoresheet for the season. Not saying it would be the wrong call either to make. A team may just decide they want him scoring the points and if he flies the zone a little early it’s not a big deal.

Reactions: wetcoast

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
My worry with him defensively is that he’s at best average against juniors/college players, and the height, weight, speed limitations are real and will only become more more severe as he reaches the NHL, even if the effort and hockey sense allows him to not be bad at it now.

If he committed to making it a focal point I think he could be a quality defensive player purely due to how good his hockey sense is, but there are trade offs. If you commit that much to the defensive side, you are probably taking some points off the scoresheet for the season. Not saying it would be the wrong call either to make. A team may just decide they want him scoring the points and if he flies the zone a little early it’s not a big deal.
I don't see why his skating, weight and compete level can't rise before he makes the NHL>

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Man, would be nice for non-Rangers fans to contribute to this thread.

I have seen every game of BC's so far this season as I have vids of their goalie Jacob Fowler on my youtube ch, Perreault has looked better, nice playmaker/vision. I've been more impressed with him then Leonard. I thought he played well last night in what was a fun game to watch as it's been a long time since Maine was good but they were impressive and gave BC a run for their money.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have seen every game of BC's so far this season as I have vids of their goalie Jacob Fowler on my youtube ch, Perreault has looked better, nice playmaker/vision. I've been more impressed with him then Leonard. I thought he played well last night in what was a fun game to watch as it's been a long time since Maine was good but they were impressive and gave BC a run for their money.
i don't think he's been as good today despite the points but i agree that he's been more impressive than leonard this season. smart kid and i like his odds.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
The compete is already there.

Worrying about an 18 year olds defense is pretty f***ing dumb tbh. Most 18 year old skill forwards aren't very good at defending.
Plus I think there is something to the idea that stud forwards try to be flashy and show off and develop their offensive skills in college. He'll simplify his game when he gets to the pros I am sure but that IQ/passing isn't going anywhere.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i don't think he's been as good today despite the points but i agree that he's been more impressive than leonard this season. smart kid and i like his odds.

I'm usually a day behind on BC games as I got BU to watch at the same time. I'll watch tonight's game some time tomorrow.

Perreault is smart for sure, with Leonard I guess I'm just disappointed as I had heard so much hype at draft that the I thought for sure the Habs were going to pick him. He's smaller then I expected but that line in general has just been so much fun to watch this year. Smith is another smart one.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm usually a day behind on BC games as I got BU to watch at the same time. I'll watch tonight's game some time tomorrow.

Perreault is smart for sure, with Leonard I guess I'm just disappointed as I had heard so much hype at draft that the I thought for sure the Habs were going to pick him. He's smaller then I expected but that line in general has just been so much fun to watch this year. Smith is another smart one.

You heard the Habs will pick Perrault or Leonard? I guess someone with a name like Perrault should have been picked by Montreal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You heard the Habs will pick Perrault or Leonard? I guess someone with a name like Perrault should have been picked by Montreal.

lol, Leonard. There was a lot of talk on the Habs board of Reinbacher and Leonard being who they were looking at if Will Smith went top 4. His dad played for the Habs for a couple years so it would have been neat had they picked him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The compete is already there.

Worrying about an 18 year olds defense is pretty f***ing dumb tbh. Most 18 year old skill forwards aren't very good at defending.

Some of the points he's put up have come off of very good defensive plays he's made though. He's a sneaky heads up player.....maybe a bit like Marc Savard. As for his skating....not fast but great edge work. I would worry about size/strength right now if he were in the pros but he's not. I think he's going to do two college seasons with the skating and strength issues in mind.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
lol, Leonard. There was a lot of talk on the Habs board of Reinbacher and Leonard being who they were looking at if Will Smith went top 4. His dad played for the Habs for a couple years so it would have been neat had they picked him.
I had Perreault above Reinbacher :cry:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It could have been an epic night for him had he scored on the breakaway and on that tic tack toe play that he just missed getting it on net as that would have been a highlight reel goal and one you assume he makes most of the time.

I was so impressed overall with Maine though, wow was this one heck of a series, these 2 teams went at pretty good for a game in November.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This thread is so dead compared to the Will Smith thread.
Will went higher. He was also talked about for much longer. It's not surprising that fans remember his name and check in on what he's doing more than somebody who went much later.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Still one of the more baffling things I have seen on draft day, the fact that this kid slid to #23.
I really liked him for the Hawks at 18. Really like Moore as well (didn't think he would be there) as he is the safer pick over Gabe. But I was really kinda fantasizing over Gabe on Bedard's wing. Just imagine Gabes playmaking setting up a guy like Bedard with his shot. They would have been a scary duo and you could of just throw a solid two way guy on the other wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad