C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
He might actually turn out better than both of Kakko & Lafreniere LOL

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I mean Laf looks like he's figuring it out this season. Kakko looks like he regressed. But if you think they're both busts can't you say that about a lot of prospects?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Kakko and Laf have nothing they do well. Gabe has a really good hockey IQ.

I mean Laf looks like he's figuring it out this season. Kakko looks like he regressed. But if you think they're both busts can't you say that about a lot of prospects?
5 pts in 11 games is figuring it out? He looks better yea but the production isn't there and still nothing like a 1st overall pick

2 knocks on Gabe were skating and not driving play as much as Leonard and Smith. Hopefully a skating coach can get him to be at least an above average skater but is he driving play or just being opportunistic?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Yes, it’s a lottery board after all and hindsight is 20/20 way down the road for all teams. Generally speaking tho, you’d want better value out of the prospects you pick at 1 & 2 on the board over guys picked at 16 & 20. It’s not bad if guys picked later on the board turn out better, it’s actually really good they do. But you’d want to be taking franchise pieces at 1 & 2, which Kakko and Laf haven’t been.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

5 pts in 11 games is figuring it out? He looks better yea but the production isn't there and still nothing like a 1st overall pick

I mean we're 11 games in. If Chytil could finish he'd be closer to a point per game and he doesn't get PP1 time. I didn't say he's some superstar but he's been one of our best players 5 on 5. If Chytil could finish his chances and he played on PP1 his statline would be a lot nicer. I know it's cool to rag on the kid but he's legit played well this year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, it’s a lottery board after all and hindsight is 20/20 way down the road for all teams. Generally speaking tho, you’d want better value out of the prospects you pick at 1 & 2 on the board over guys picked at 16 & 20. It’s not bad if guys picked later on the board turn out better, it’s actually really good they do. But you’d want to be taking franchise pieces at 1 & 2, which Kakko and Laf haven’t been.

Eh, sure. But if Perrault becomes good I won't care if he was taken 23rd or 1st. I'm sure Bruins fans don't care where Pasternak was taken.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
The problem with them was not what they did before they joined the big club.
The problem is they really never had any assets that would translate to the NHL. They were just dominating a bunch of their less physically developed peers. Gabe is the opposite in that he is nowhere close to physically developed but his hockey IQ and passing are actually elite and will hopefully translate.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The problem is they really never had any assets that would translate to the NHL. They were just dominating a bunch of their less physically developed peers. Gabe is the opposite in that he is nowhere close to physically developed but his hockey IQ and passing are actually elite and will hopefully translate.
I don’t wanna turn this into another Laf/Kakko thread, but they are both still like top 10/15 for their draft, and they were obviously drafted there for a reason, which suggests they should have capability to still get better.

As good as Perreault can be, I would still bet on Laf and Kakko having better careers.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I don’t wanna turn this into another Laf/Kakko thread, but they are both still like top 10/15 for their draft, and they were obviously drafted there for a reason, which suggests they should have capability to still get better.

As good as Perreault can be, I would still bet on Laf and Kakko having better careers.
Guess it depends what you think Laf and Kakko end up as. I have my doubts they ever really eclipse anything past being 35-45 pt players.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

2 knocks on Gabe were skating and not driving play as much as Leonard and Smith. Hopefully a skating coach can get him to be at least an above average skater but is he driving play or just being opportunistic?
I’m not sure “he doesn’t drive play” was really a knock so much as people not being sure if he was a passenger on that line with two players considered top talents

From what I’ve seen he facilitates a whole lot of play on the ice and is always looking for how to get into position and get the puck. His skating isn’t bad, he’s just not a strong skating downhill to the net kindnof player. His mobility is good and he’s not stiff and limbering around. Even possible he adds some explosiveness if he gets stronger.

Also to me looks like he’s still a touch off where he’d like to be and if he settles in more and really clicks this year he could have a huge second half of the season

Reactions: rangersfansince08

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I’m not sure “he doesn’t drive play” was really a knock so much as people not being sure if he was a passenger on that line with two players considered top talents

From what I’ve seen he facilitates a whole lot of play on the ice and is always looking for how to get into position and get the puck. His skating isn’t bad, he’s just not a strong skating downhill to the net kindnof player. His mobility is good and he’s not stiff and limbering around. Even possible he adds some explosiveness if he gets stronger.

Also to me looks like he’s still a touch off where he’d like to be and if he settles in more and really clicks this year he could have a huge second half of the season
Yea I'm hoping he can at least be like a 60th percentile skater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad