C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He won’t miss any BC games besides an exhibition. Most schools take a good break on December. BC has adapted its schedule over the year to not be impacted by the WJC. He’ll have every opportunity to catch up in points during the 2nd half
Ah didn't realize that, thanks!

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
After seeing it twice now, both at BC and now at the WJC, I think Perrault is just the type of player who needs a stretch of games at whatever level of play he's at to get acclimated to the speed of the game to then find the room for space and soft spots.

Also, after watching him play every game this year, I think I've settled on my comp for him, he reminds me a ton of the way Krejci played, just as a winger

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
After seeing it twice now, both at BC and now at the WJC, I think Perrault is just the type of player who needs a stretch of games at whatever level of play he's at to get acclimated to the speed of the game to then find the room for space and soft spots.

Also, after watching him play every game this year, I think I've settled on my comp for him, he reminds me a ton of the way Krejci played, just as a winger

Agreed. It took him to the knockout round to really find his game but he shined brightest when the games mattered most. Excellent performances in the QF and Final.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had the most points in the tournament for non-19 year olds. This is always said to be a 19 year old tournament, so he was the leading scorer of everyone else.

And this is the same thing he's doing at BC and did last year. No disrespect to Smith and Leonard, but he went far after them in the draft and the one of the line that is scoring the most now in three settings (NTDP, BC, U18, U20 Worlds) is Perreault. He's the best scorer of the three.

It might not translate to the NHL, but he's been a top scorer everywhere the last two years. It's hard to not get excited that we might have found an eventual replacement for Panarin (a left-handed version) at 23OA last year.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He had the most points in the tournament for non-19 year olds. This is always said to be a 19 year old tournament, so he was the leading scorer of everyone else.

And this is the same thing he's doing at BC and did last year. No disrespect to Smith and Leonard, but he went far after them in the draft and the one of the line that is scoring the most now in three settings (NTDP, BC, U18, U20 Worlds) is Perreault. He's the best scorer of the three.

It might not translate to the NHL, but he's been a top scorer everywhere the last two years. It's hard to not get excited that we might have found an eventual replacement for Panarin (a left-handed version) at 23OA last year.

I always look for underagers (17, 18 years old) at the WJC's. When these guys stand out, that means something.

There are exceptions of course (like Puljujarvi), but it's hard to ignore a younger guy excelling at a difficult tournament like this.

Perreault has an exceptional mind for the game. This is what will help him translate in the NHL, I believe.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Gabe deserves lots of props, as his core strength is coming along much better than some thought it would. It’s allowing him to keep control in traffic much better than even 9 months or a year ago. He had an NHL type tournament. Meaning a lot of the things he was doing well, translate to the NHL.

Far too often, fans watch these games and don’t understand how different the NHL game is. That’s why we only see, a certain percentage of great junior players, go on to play in the league. Hutson for example, looks fantastic at this level, but think of how good Zellweger was just last year. Same with Cormier recently. Pure quickness doesn’t translate. Especially when you’re small and have a thin build. Buffalo is probably a little concerned with Savoie after this tournament.

A player like Geekie, had a good tournament but it was all size and strength. None of that means anything at the next level. Not a big concern with him yet, but if you watch players like Poitras, Minten and Danielson, they have a lot of NHL tools, and think the game, two steps ahead of their teammates. It’s why they looked so good against NHL players already. Canada made a mistake not playing them together. Perreault showed a lot of that “thinking the game” too. Had a great tournament.

Perreault was one of the 10-20 players, where he had NHL written all over his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad