C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Went of the top of my head, so close enough, but you can’t seriously believe any of this? If so, makes me wonder if you’ve ever actually even seen him play.

His by far biggest issue is exactly what to do with the puck when he gets in the offensive zone with it, his by far biggest strength is his transistion play. Despite this he scored 0,32ppg in Liiga when Räty did 0,17ppg, despite Lambert being almost a full year younger.
Too bad that transition play doesn't lead to more points or other useful things. Hogs the puck, selfish, bad defence, too many "hope passes" that don't work, risky plays in his own zone, physically weak. I'd say at Liiga level Lambert is just kinda useless. Should not have even been playing in Liiga.

Reactions: Ippenator

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I just listened to an interview with Blades GM on why he traded Lambert's rights:

Basically, Lambert's camp said he has "95% chance" of playing pro next year. NHL GMs have told him that if they draft him, they would send him to either the AHL or Europe. Also, the rights were expiring and they were unlikely to get him to come over.

Reactions: Jukurit

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
the production is really the only red flag. anything about his personality or effort level is just made up bullshit. hockey iq is a meaningless term as well
BS, because hockey IQ is basically down to small stuff. is he a team player? Is he gonna fight when it comes time? is he gonna do something smart to kill the clock when theres 6 men out for the opposition? Its the little things they care for.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Luulen, että hän putoaa 2. kierrokselle. Liian monta punaista lippua, jotta joukkueet voisivat perustella korkean valinnan hänelle.
That's possible but how likely that's another story.
If Lambert is still available somewhere 25th-30th overall range some team takes a risk and goes with Lambert.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
tuotanto on oikeastaan ainoa punainen lippu. kaikki hänen persoonallisuudestaan tai ponnistelutasostaan on turhaan. jääkiekon iq on myös merkityksetön termi
Scoring and offensive production are red-flags for Lambert
But if i was NHL scout or general manager i would also question Lambert's commitment and competing level.

Is not a good sing when young hockey player bounces like rubbery stress-ball from team to team.
I truly wish that team who will draft Lambert has very good player development staff.

And they put Lambert to AHL or CHL and keep Ross Lambert far away of Brad's NHL hockey career.
That control-freak psycho has done enough harm for his son's development.
So it's a time to cut a leash where Brad has been last 2-3 years.

In other words, it's time for Brad to get off the potty and begin to grow into a grown man
If his goal is to play pro hockey in NHL next 15-20 years.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Watch him go to tampa and figure everything out.

I´am a Philly fan but I hope the best for all Finnish prospects and I got to say I really hope Tampa or Canes draft him because he's a boom or bust player and it's more likely that he will succeed in their organizations than let's say Flyers, Jets or with a coach like Maurice etc...

I do think Kemell is a sure talent and that he will succeed in someway, Lambert on the other hand? I mean, at the 2021 WJC´s he seemed to be able to dominate when he was on his A-game.
For me, he´s a bit like Samu Tuomaala in the way that if their development sets off in the right organization they really do have the potential to become good top6-players. Classic high risk, high reward picks.

The thing is, Lambert is a better skater even if Tuomaala is really fast as well. On the other hand? Tuomaala has a great shot and he's no sure bet in either the Liiga or NHL right now.
So yeah, the question marks are bigger than they were for Räty in my opinion. Aatu had impressing numbers before and he dominated in youth ranks against other nations in every stage of his career.

Just a last little comparison, if you would have given me Aatu Räty in a youth tournament I would have been comfortable with him against the big nations and I would have trusted him to succeed. The summer showcase really showed that he's on a another level compared to other "Regular" prospects.
With Lambert I wouldn't have any expectations but I wouldn't be surprised if he skated circles and created chances in every game, neither would I be that surprised if he were anonymous and let us all down.
Is Kemell and Räty sure bets as pros? Pretty much yes. Are Tuomaala and Lambert still exciting prospects?Especially the latter one, yes I do think so. It will be fun to follow and I wish them all the best.

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I just listened to an interview with Blades GM on why he traded Lambert's rights:

Basically, Lambert's camp said he has "95% chance" of playing pro next year. NHL GMs have told him that if they draft him, they would send him to either the AHL or Europe. Also, the rights were expiring and they were unlikely to get him to come over.
So AHL it is then.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Beautiful skater and stick-handler, hard worker, with an east-west playstyle that was out of step with most of the play at that time. That said, he was a magnet for criticism (a lot of puck hog accusations). Some of the dislike was I'm sure born out of envy, but some was definitely legit. He had a big tendency to ignore high percentage passing plays in favor of keeping the puck,

I hope he gets drafted to a team that wants him to play his game because I'm not sure how adaptive he is, but if he hooks up with the right coach (like a Tony Granato), I think he could have a solid NHL career.

Yikes! Red flag for me. On my do not draft list. It will be a highest 3rd round pick.
Thise such yakupov-ish players do not progress well.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Lambert doesn't feel like a sharks pick at all, since they've really never drafted in Finland in a while in round 1. Their last finnish pick in round 1 was Rihijarvi, which was in 1995

The same logic could have been applied when they drafted Eklund last year. Actually, Eklund was the very first Swede they ever took in the 1st round.

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
1000%. Hockey IQ is just the latest buzzword to say something without saying anything at all.
So, how would you describe it when two players of similar skills and attributes are faced with similar choices on the fly, and one consistently makes all the right decisions and the other consistently makes the wrong decisions?

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
someone really said hockey IQ doesn't matter. Same level as someone saying plate discipline don't matter for a baseball player. Hockey IQ matters a lot in picks, and If lambert wants to still be a top 20 pick he gotta show that

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
"Hockey IQ" is very meaningful, and describes a player's ability to do the right thing at the right time when on the ice. It is not to be confused with the ability to explain game theory, solve mathematical puzzles, or write concise, brilliant essays on Shakespeare, or world events.

Gordie Howe was not necessarily a high IQ individual, but he had a high hockey IQ.
Gretzky was a hockey genius.
Bergeron has a very high hockey IQ.
Ryan Suter has a high hockey IQ.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
So, how would you describe it when two players of similar skills and attributes are faced with similar choices on the fly, and one consistently makes all the right decisions and the other consistently makes the wrong decisions?

I admit it was a bad take on my part. I meant just more about how a lot of people will throw it around without truly expounding their position.

I don't think Lambert displayed low Hockey IQ, I think he dissects plays very well but he was lacking trust in his teammates last year.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hockey IQ could also be summarized by ability to make a smart and effective play. Two things Lambert struggles with.

A lack of hockey IQ is the hardest ability to teach. You can go through skating or stickhandling coaches to improve abilities and even spend entire offseasons trying to improve an ability like shot accuracy; but you can't really teach a player the ability to make smart plays.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Watch him go to tampa and figure everything out.
Tampa Bay Lightning hasn't ever drafted Finnish born player in 1st round.
So i doubt that Tampa is going to take Brad Lambert.
But if it truly happens then so be it.

Of course i wanna see all Finnish players playing well and succeeding in NHL.
but i don't want some Finnish NHL scout like Tampa's Kari Kettunen starts perfer Lambert just because he's Finn.

So if Tampa really wants Brad Lambert and they are ready to use resources and time to develop Brad
and help him to reach his full potential as a NHL player then that means Lambert needs to be clear
Best Player Available when tampa makes their pick next week's NHL draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad