C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I always find it amusing when random people on the internet "know" that this kids dad is a psycho and no team should draft him.

Unless there was actual footage posted online of his dad being a nutbar over the years, nobody knows shit. I wouldn't doubt if he pushes his kid hard and wants him to become a pro player real bad but that's what most parents do

Gotta love how easy it is to spread untrue rumors on here about prospects.

It reminds me of years ago when Barzal was younger and he was just goofing around in the dressing room having fun with his teammates and he tripped on a stick and messed his kneee up... then on this site apparently that meant he was a bad teammate, didn't care, goofed around too much and didn't even care about hockey
wait what???

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
*clip of Lambert making a nonsensical decision with the puck and throwing a terrible pass up the middle in the d-zone*

"- His teammates aren't helping him enough, they are the problem."

Nothing I've seen from Lambert really gives me much confidence. For a guy that's supposed to be all about skill and skating, he seems to skate himself into trouble far too often and make really dumb decisions to try and dangle players instead of making the simple plays. Even a lot of the clips that are supposed to show him doing good things are kind of questionable if you look past some of the flash of his skating.
I think Lambert's supposed "skill" is actually overrated. He's good with skating with the puck on his stick and I think that's about it. Can sometimes make nice passes. Weak shot. Good hands when he carries the puck, but not good enough to pull of moves with them very successfully.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
When has there been a prospect with such variety of opinions where they should be drafted? Some think Lambert should be top 3 pick, some think he should fall to second round. Most seem to put him around middle of first round.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When has there been a prospect with such variety of opinions where they should be drafted? Some think Lambert should be top 3 pick, some think he should fall to second round. Most seem to put him around middle of first round.
It's definitely bizarre, but the last few years have been bizarre as well.

Reactions: hn777

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lambert is not a Lou player and would probably struggle in that sort of system. But they do need more puck transporters. They should target a guy like Savoie, Nazar, or Ostlund if they're available IMO.

They'll probably just go for a big body though. Lou hasn't been a great drafting GM in the last 15+ years.
On talent alone you don’t pass him up at 13. His uncle will know exactly what the issue was. He’s more talented than any of those guys you mentioned. Even Savoie. That’s why I say if he drops past 13, somethings not known publicly.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Lambert is not a Lou player and would probably struggle in that sort of system. But they do need more puck transporters. They should target a guy like Savoie, Nazar, or Ostlund if they're available IMO.

They'll probably just go for a big body though. Lou hasn't been a great drafting GM in the last 15+ years.
Lou is very hit/miss it seems, but Lambert would be a guy he would be 100% fine with if he can be like a Barzal (skilled, fast, and can transition between each zone), but Lamberts struggles are the transition game and shot). If you go by your logic, then it'll be someone like Mcgroarty, Bischel, Pickering, or maybe even a Geekie if he's there at #13.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I still have Lambert at #2. I'm terrified I'm going to be way off on him, but when I watch what he's able to do vs others in this draft, he's just on another level. He's a few tweaks from being a force IMO.

Looking forward to being outrageously wrong.
austin.gif

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I still have Lambert at #2. I'm terrified I'm going to be way off on him, but when I watch what he's able to do vs others in this draft, he's just on another level. He's a few tweaks from being a force IMO.

Looking forward to being outrageously wrong.
That sounds like how I "scout" the draft. I watch highlight videos and look for guys who make plays that a really good NHL player would make. This year Lambert and Yurov were the two guys that jumped out at me. Savoie's highlights, for example, is a lot of barely contested shots that you never see in the NHL. Unscientific, but sometimes I think the pros overthink things.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That sounds like how I "scout" the draft. I watch highlight videos and look for guys who make plays that a really good NHL player would make. This year Lambert and Yurov were the two guys that jumped out at me. Savoie's highlights, for example, is a lot of barely contested shots that you never see in the NHL. Unscientific, but sometimes I think the pros overthink things.
Highlights are just a small part of each player’s game. Unfortunately when you really watch Lambert’s game outside of the highlights you see loads of losing the puck because of hanging on to it until he turns it over. Or if he rarely decides to pass it, it happens almost always too late so his team mate isn’t really open well any more, so he causes also bad situations to his teammates and not just to himself.

He has also awful and lackluster defensive play, which all together with his offensive weaknesses makes him a pretty much awful team mate to play with. I wouldn’t probably draft him at all, but as the NHL has a real hard on for skating, he might even get picked in the first round - which would be absolutely undeserved based on what he really is as a player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Highlights are just a small part of each player’s game. Unfortunately when you really watch Lambert’s game outside of the highlights you see loads of losing the puck because of hanging on to it until he turns it over. Or if he rarely decides to pass it, it happens almost always too late so his team mate isn’t really open well any more, so he causes also bad situations to his teammates and not just to himself.

He has also awful and lackluster defensive play, which all together with his offensive weaknesses makes him a pretty much awful team mate to play with. I wouldn’t probably draft him at all, but as the NHL has a real hard on for skating, he might even get picked in the first round - which would be absolutely undeserved based on what he really is as a player.

His shift to shift consistency is definitely a concern for me, but again his talent level is so high that it's hard to ignore.

But his biggest weakness is his awareness of back pressure and how to manage it. For a guy who processes the play in front of him so well, he hasn't figured out how to apply that to the play behind him. But I also think that's a very coachable problem. And with so much time and space on the bigger ice surface, he often gets caught trying to do too much and making a pass that isn't there. I think a lot of that goes away on smaller ice.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I always find it amusing when random people on the internet "know" that this kids dad is a psycho and no team should draft him.
Lambert Sr. has very much made the kid "damaged goods" atleast in Finland. He WAS THE prospect from Finland for 2022 for years, but Good Ol Daddy messed things up. His kid should have been put on a pedestal and get everything for free. He is lackluster defensively and just tries to do too much himself. He has the speed and skill, but isnt playing a team-game. Why do you think he already went through 3 Liiga-teams? His dad also sticks his nose in everything and is probably the most to blame for Lamberts regression.

Reactions: hn777 and Ippenator

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Lambert sucks man idk what all this hype is. There are better more proven prospects still left on the table like Ryan Chelsey

Evergreen

I admire the conviction.
There's actually not a lot of conviction in making a bold prediction and then saying it's probably wrong. It's just a way of trying to look right either way. If he goes high, you say "I told you so." If he doesn't, you say "I told you I was probably wrong."

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad