C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
He’s a harder shooter than I realized too. Nice. He’s exciting to watch and surely ends up a top-6 skill guy.

Getting away from his father and playing in his own age group has done him wonders. I like his game and I think Winnipeg got a steal. Lambert haters are awful quiet now.
I’ll take the bait. How do you think he’d look in Spokane?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
His play has been completely dynamic since joining Seattle. He absolutely flies around the ice and buries alot of his chances. He's been unbelievable

He's building a ton of confidence and next training camp in Winnipeg fans will see a completely different player

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
He’s a harder shooter than I realized too. Nice. He’s exciting to watch and surely ends up a top-6 skill guy.

Getting away from his father and playing in his own age group has done him wonders. I like his game and I think Winnipeg got a steal. Lambert haters are awful quiet now.
He also played in his own age group at WJC and sucked.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Why do Finns have to be so hatefull?
He seems to have an agenda against JYP prospects or something.

I have to admit that I have been skeptical of him too, but his recent performance has been very impressive.

Reactions: hn777

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have to say I'm relieved at his "turnaround". I had him 2nd on my 2022 draft list behind only Cooley.

That looks less ridiculous now, especially when you consider how he looked in preseason and the AHL before getting COVID.

He's t-5th in the WHL in PPG at 1.52 (>10gp), just ahead of Savoie who went 9th over. Stankoven is the only drafted player ahead of him in PPG.

Since he's joined Seattle, he's been the best player on the best team in junior hockey IMO. He's been flat out flying for the last month - since Guenther joined the team, Lambert has been the driver of the best duo in junior hockey:

Lambert
15gp 11g 25p +20 66 shots
Guenther
15gp 7g 20p +20 51 shots

The fact that he's outproducing a former 9th OA like Guenther is pretty impressive. Had Lambert played junior during his draft year he probably puts up 90+ points. I think he'd have been a top 5 pick ahead of Gauthier and maybe Wright.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
He seems to have an agenda against JYP prospects or something.

I have to admit that I have been skeptical of him too, but his recent performance has been very impressive.
Is Lambert a JYP prospect? He's played most of his life with Pelicans and 1 and half seasons with JYP. I'd say he's a Pelicans prospect.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Good that he is performing well. He definitely has potential. But it is still fair to say that he performed poorly in international tournaments for team Finland and thats where a lot of hate comes from.

I hope he provea all the doubters (including myself) wrong and has a great NHL career.

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Good that he is performing well. He definitely has potential. But it is still fair to say that he performed poorly in international tournaments for team Finland and thats where a lot of hare comes from.

I hope he provea all the doubters (including myself) wrong and has a great NHL career.

I don't think the hate comes from playing poorly for team Finland. He was playing absolutely horrible in Liiga while getting massive hype. He actually regressed as a hockey player in his draft season. His development needed some time in the CHL, so good to see him producing but I still think he doesn't have the hockey IQ to play as a top 6 player in the NHL. Shame because he has fantastic tools otherwise.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think the hate comes from playing poorly for team Finland. He was playing absolutely horrible in Liiga while getting massive hype. He actually regressed as a hockey player in his draft season. His development needed some time in the CHL, so good to see him producing but I still think he doesn't have the hockey IQ to play as a top 6 player in the NHL. Shame because he has fantastic tools otherwise.
Did he really regress as a player, or was he just playing with no confidence because he was in a terrible situation?

The fact that he played so well in the Jets' rookie tournament, and then the preseason, and then at the start of the AHL season (before injuries and COVID) suggest that maybe he was already pretty good. He was a top 5 forward in the WHL the moment he stepped on the ice...

It's funny you mention his perceived IQ problems, as his vision and passing have been arguably his most impressive attributes. He just flies around setting up teammates all game.

I encourage you to watch his play in Seattle before you write him off.

Here is the highlight reel from his last game. Shows you what I am talking about (a nice backcheck in there as well).

This is from Friday's game, where he had 2 more really nice assists plus a beautiful goal:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Did he really regress as a player, or was he just playing with no confidence because he was in a terrible situation?

The fact that he played so well in the Jets' rookie tournament, and then the preseason, and then at the start of the AHL season (before injuries and COVID) suggest that maybe he was already pretty good. He was a top 5 forward in the WHL the moment he stepped on the ice...

It's funny you mention his perceived IQ problems, as his vision and passing have been arguably his most impressive attributes. He just flies around setting up teammates all game.

Here is the highlight reel from his last game. Shows you what I am talking about (a nice backcheck in there as well).
I think he has some offensive vision (mostly regarding offensive positioning and jumping into spots like that one highlight, not so much passing), but obviously when you give players time in juniors vs relatively little time vs men you get the difference in reaction speed and it shows. Maybe he learns to process things faster and gets in habits that produce offense but those things did go away during his last Liiga-season.

He always produced what offense he did produce by his fantastic skating and decent puckhandling. And those opportunities became pretty rare in Liiga at some point.

That's what finns mean by him regressing. I'm sure this has been explained before but there you go.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

He made no improvements as a hockey player for a whole year (on the contrary). The reason why that happened only he knows, but no confidence and situation with dad I'm sure didn't help.

A lot more time to think/process plays in juniors than in professional hockey, which has always been his #1 issue, consistency the other IMO

Maybe he improves with time but until I see him do it on pros I will stick to my projection which was that he will be a Mason Raymond/Michael Grabner type of player. If that's hating then I'm a hater.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
He made no improvements as a hockey player for a whole year (on the contrary). The reason why that happened only he knows, but no confidence and situation with dad I'm sure didn't help.

A lot more time to think/process plays in juniors than in professional hockey, which has always been his #1 issue, consistency the other IMO

Maybe he improves with time but until I see him do it on pros I will stick to my projection which was that he will be a Mason Raymond/Michael Grabner type of player. If that's hating then I'm a hater.

Maybe a kid who started the year at 18 years old will improve? Way to go out on a limb...

The speed of pro hockey is too fast for most kids in their D+1 season. That's why with few exceptions, they still play junior / college.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think he has some offensive vision (mostly regarding offensive positioning and jumping into spots like that one highlight, not so much passing), but obviously when you give players time in juniors vs relatively little time vs men you get the difference in reaction speed and it shows. Maybe he learns to process things faster and gets in habits that produce offense but those things did go away during his last Liiga-season.

He always produced what offense he did produce by his fantastic skating and decent puckhandling. And those opportunities became pretty rare in Liiga at some point.

That's what finns mean by him regressing. I'm sure this has been explained before but there you go.
His passing has been excellent? That's such an odd thing to critique in his game.

Yet he was excellent in the NHL preseason and in the AHL before getting injured and then getting COVID. There was serious discussion about him cracking the Jets opening roster as an 18 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad