C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That level of inconsistency will make Lambert, who will almost certainly be a 1st Round pick as opposed to 4th-rounder Athanasiou, close to a bust. Is that what people really expect?
It's a possible outcome. Athanasiou probably should have been drafted a few rounds earlier, even with his warts. He is a .5 PPG NHL player over his career.

He just mostly gets 3rd line minutes and has a hard time earning coaches trust. I think Lambert could end up in a similar situation. Just my opinion.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
It's a possible outcome. Athanasiou probably should have been drafted a few rounds earlier, even with his warts. He is a .5 PPG NHL player over his career.

He just mostly gets 3rd line minutes and has a hard time earning coaches trust. I think Lambert could end up in a similar situation. Just my opinion.
I doubt you'd get much support claiming Athanasiou "should have been drafted a few rounds earlier".

I am well aware of what a polarizing player Lambert is, and as a Finn you've seen way more of him than I have, but the widespread vilification of a surefire 1st-rounder seems way overblown to me.

Really curious to see what he makes of his career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I doubt you'd get much support claiming Athanasiou "should have been drafted a few rounds earlier".

I am well aware of what a polarizing player Lambert is, and as a Finn you've seen way more of him than I have, but the widespread vilification of a surefire 1st-rounder seems way overblown to me.

Really curious to see what he makes of his career.
Do you know how many players bust in a draft class? If you play 300+ games in the NHL that alone would move you up 1-2 rounds in re-draft as a 4th round pick. He has decent production to go along with it too.

To be clear, I am not a Finn and it is possible that 1 ) I am way off and 2 ) you are right the concerns on him are overblown.

But from what I have seen, the majority of scouts now have Lambert in the back half of round 1, and it is primarily over concerns with his hockey IQ.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He probably should have. Since people dramatically under-estimate the hit rate of picks outside the top 15 or so of getting something that is above waiver fodder. But, agreed. Teams don't want fast but dumb players who tend to drive lines to their level. Kapanen was a better example of this. Exciting player, but if you put him on the 3rd line he was great, but he'd drive you legit insane when he was asked to be the 3rd wheel in the top 6 with guys like Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner. Those players have use, but you generally aim higher in the top 20 to 25 or so.

Lambert is likely a guy his line will play to whatever level he plays too, which is a gift and a curse and unless you are truly elite makes you a 3rd liner since you won't click with a lot of upper echelon players.

Reactions: Frk It

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Do you know how many players bust in a draft class? If you play 300+ games in the NHL that alone would move you up 1-2 rounds in re-draft as a 4th round pick. He has decent production to go along with it too.

Here's a great study about this topic, highlighting the probability of playing 200 NHL games by draft position. Apologies for it being a .pdf download, but it is safe. If you base your pick value off of this study, you could reasonably argue that Athanasiou should have been drafted no lower than 50, and likely higher than that. Seeing as he was taken 60 picks behind that #50 spot, that's easily a 2 round difference in a re-draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frk It

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

A year before his draft AA was a lock to be a Top 10 pick. That’s how much he fell because of his character issues.

The thing with Lambert though, is people are assuming a lot about a 18 yr old kid. People are assuming he’s a problem but unless somethings come out in the last week or so, it’s never even been an issue talking to coaches and teammates.

It’s just a very strange thing. His talent alone will see him picked High. If he falls past 13th, then we know there’s an issue that hasn’t been public. Still say he can go as high as 5th overall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A year before his draft AA was a lock to be a Top 10 pick. That’s how much he fell because of his character issues.

The thing with Lambert though, is people are assuming a lot about a 18 yr old kid. People are assuming he’s a problem but unless somethings come out in the last week or so, it’s never even been an issue talking to coaches and teammates.

It’s just a very strange thing. His talent alone will see him picked High. If he falls past 13th, then we know there’s an issue that hasn’t been public. Still say he can go as high as 5th overall.
I was just attempting to draw parallels in their on-ice games, FWIW.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Right, he's switched teams a few times in kind of an odd way. His dad is rumored to be difficult, but I ahven't heard anything bad about Brad, yet he gets the "character issue" label
If he falls past 13th, then we know there’s an issue that hasn’t been public. Still say he can go as high as 5th overall.
It could also just be the lack of production in Liiga that cools teams on him

Reactions: lafellaesobar

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Right, he's switched teams a few times in kind of an odd way. His dad is rumored to be difficult, but I ahven't heard anything bad about Brad, yet he gets the "character issue" label

It could also just be the lack of production in Liiga that cools teams on him

Switching teams seem to be the biggest cause for those rumours definitely.
& sounds like a big driver in those moves has been playing time, for example Jyp was out of the race and Lambert got a chance to go help Pelicans and play meaningfull games. Of course given his history that wasn’t looked well.

If I was a Gm I’d take him to na next year under better controll/guidance.
Controll his development, get him out of his fathers reach.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Well, Lambert did have that "Middle Finger" incident.
Is that even worth mentioning? At least in my circles that's just the equivalent of 'f*** you'. Scheifele is the only player in NHL without character issues if that's what it takes.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Switching teams seem to be the biggest cause for those rumours definitely.
& sounds like a big driver in those moves has been playing time, for example Jyp was out of the race and Lambert got a chance to go help Pelicans and play meaningfull games. Of course given his history that wasn’t looked well.

If I was a Gm I’d take him to na next year under better controll/guidance.
Controll his development, get him out of his fathers reach.
I wonder if his dad follows him to North America? Ross is Canadian, and I think most of his family is still in North America. For example, Ross’ brother/Brad’s uncle is Lane Lambert, the new Isles head coach.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I wonder if his dad follows him to North America? Ross is Canadian, and I think most of his family is still in North America. For example, Ross’ brother/Brad’s uncle is Lane Lambert, the new Isles head coach.
Which is why everyone is just mocking Lambert to them, even if there are way more factors that make Lambert a logical pick for said team at 13

Reactions: ponder

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It's not a good sign that he crumbled under the pressure of being a top 5 selection.

I don't think this happened at all. Lambert was top 5 pick candidate like three years ago already(?). A lot can change in that time. These things happen very often. He hasn't been able to lift his game to the next level.

Reactions: Ippenator

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
haha, Lou letting a head coach dictate who they are drafting. Now, I've seen it all.
Lambert is not a Lou player and would probably struggle in that sort of system. But they do need more puck transporters. They should target a guy like Savoie, Nazar, or Ostlund if they're available IMO.

They'll probably just go for a big body though. Lou hasn't been a great drafting GM in the last 15+ years.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Lambert is not a Lou player and would probably struggle in that sort of system. But they do need more puck transporters. They should target a guy like Savoie, Nazar, or Ostlund if they're available IMO.

They'll probably just go for a big body though. Lou hasn't been a great drafting GM in the last 15+ years.
It's not really about need (unless NYI trade the pick for a LD who can work the breakout, which is an urgent need) at #13. But if it were, NYI have too many players who are either puck handlers *or* who score (if at all) right at the net. They need players who have a plan when they don't have the puck. I feel pretty certain Savoie + Kemmell will both be gone at 13. So it's for "need" imo Isaac Howard is the best fit. I don't think Lambert fits all that well.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Can chirping other players get you a game misconduct and a 1 game suspension?
I bet it could if all player conversations were televised live for the audiance. The only reason something as minor as a middle finger results to anything, is because everyone watching can see and some will undoubtably complain how their kids are watching

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I bet it could if all player conversations were televised live for the audiance. The only reason something as minor as a middle finger results to anything, is because everyone watching can see and some will undoubtably complain how their kids are watching
Right, and the fact that everyone watching can see it means that you would have to be bit of a dumbass to do it.

Reactions: jc17

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Right, and the fact that everyone watching can see it means that you would have to be bit of a dumbass to do it.
Sure it's a little bit dumb if you think about it like that, but doing something a bit dumb is off being immature and having character issues, like some here have discussed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad