C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Elaboration, pls?
Finnish physical training coach who makes his players lift big weights, has even said that he hasn't changed a thing about his training program since the 1990s which is crazy considering how much the demands of the sport have changed since then.

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
Yeah, I know Hannu Rautala is a big figure in Finnish hockey, just not clued in to his distinctions as a trainer, or how it's effected Laine in particular.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Elaboration, pls?

Just full on off ice training, gym, heavy weights, running with weights on to gain more acceleration, running stairs, playing floorball.

Anything but skating, they don’t or didn’t at the time skate once during that training regime.
Yet the goal was to become a better/quicker skater while no actual skating took part.

Which lead to examples of Laine and Kakko looking out of shape at the beginning of seasons and looking like they skate in mud even though they were in top physical shape. They just trained for different sport.

Rautala had a legendary reputation around the time Laine joined them but he was very much stuck in the past.
Artturis father went off on that style of training in podcast recently with good reason.

If your goal/need is to become a better skater you can’t go 4 months in the offseason without skating.

Edit, this for example played a part on Laine getting a reputation of being a lazy person

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just full on off ice training, gym, heavy weights, running with weights on to gain more acceleration, running stairs, playing floorball.

Anything but skating, they don’t or didn’t at the time skate once during that training regime.
Yet the goal was to become a better/quicker skater while no actual skating took part.

Which lead to examples of Laine and Kakko looking out of shape at the beginning of seasons and looking like they skate in mud even though they were in top physical shape. They just trained for different sport.

Rautala had a legendary reputation around the time Laine joined them but he was very much stuck in the past.
Artturis father went off on that style of training in podcast recently with good reason.

If your goal/need is to become a better skater you can’t go 4 months in the offseason without skating.

Edit, this for example played a part on Laine getting a reputation of being a lazy person
When Laine's big weakness was skating it was ridiculous to me that during an entire summer where the goal should have been to work on skating, they go on the ice 2 times in total. Tampere has Finland's best facilities for hockey, there's absolutely no excuse unless one somehow thinks that the best way to become a better skater is to not skate, which to me is ridiculous.

Rautala's only recent success story is Mikko Rantanen when it comes to improving skating and it's looking more and more like that was just a fluke.

Even if Brad Lambert's dad is overly invasive, he at least makes sure that Lambert has a more modern, North American way of training and it's no wonder he's the best skater out of Finland in years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When Laine's big weakness was skating it was ridiculous to me that during an entire summer where the goal should have been to work on skating, they go on the ice 2 times in total. Tampere has Finland's best facilities for hockey, there's absolutely no excuse unless one somehow thinks that the best way to become a better skater is to not skate, which to me is ridiculous.

Rautala's only recent success story is Mikko Rantanen when it comes to improving skating and it's looking more and more like that was just a fluke.

Even if Brad Lambert's dad is overly invasive, he at least makes sure that Lambert has a more modern, North American way of training and it's no wonder he's the best skater out of Finland in years.

Yep the actual skating should have been priority #1 and then the rest, not the other way around like in this case.
& we have seen the end result, I hope training with Barkov now will help to save some of the lost development.

Also didn’t Rantanen change his training group some years ago or atleast make changes to it?

But in relation to Lambert he had very different looking offseason as he spent a good amount of it in na with top tier pros

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finnish physical training coach who makes his players lift big weights, has even said that he hasn't changed a thing about his training program since the 1990s which is crazy considering how much the demands of the sport have changed since then.
Hannu Rautala has actually retired last year, it's his son Marko in charge these days.

And based on this story this, it's more than just weight training:

Also, if the training is so bad, why is Mikko Rantanen shining?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajax84

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hannu Rautala has actually retired last year, it's his son Marko in charge these days.

And based on this story this, it's more than just weight training:

Also, if the training is so bad, why is Mikko Rantanen shining?

The training style has been talked about here alot.
Just go back a bit.

& you can’t have the same program for everyone.

Everyone knows Laines biggest weakness is his skating, the one thing that’s been really holding him back. So makes a lot of sense to train off ice for 4+ whatever months and not do any skating, any skating skill workouts.

We’ve seen the end result, same goes with Kakko

That training program got stuck in the past and we lost the best years of Laines development

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The training style has been talked about here alot.
Just go back a bit.

& you can’t have the same program for everyone.

Everyone knows Laines biggest weakness is his skating, the one thing that’s been really holding him back. So makes a lot of sense to train off ice for 4+ whatever months and not do any skating, any skating skill workouts.

We’ve seen the end result, same goes with Kakko

That training program got stuck in the past and we lost the best years of Laines development
I don't think you read the article I linked.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think you read the article I linked.

I followed those offseason workouts at the time real close and read Laines interviews, watched all the material we got from those

Where he at the beginning of his career for example said he hadn’t skated for 4+ months

Those draft year offseasons and the nex 2-3 where the offseasons for most development possible and they were dominated by office training and heavy weightlifting

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I followed those offseason workouts at the time real close and read Laines interviews.

Where he at the beginning of his career for example said he hadn’t skated for 4+ months

Those draft year offseasons and the nex 2-3 where the offseasons for most development possible and they were dominated by office training and heavy weightlifting
Because of an injury...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because of an injury...

Nope

It was how they build their training program at the time

Look at Barkovs development vs Laines.
2 awkward looking skaters at the time of draft and one is elite today

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nope

It was how they build their training program at the time

Look at Barkovs development vs Laines.
2 awkward looking skaters at the time of draft and one is elite today
Barkov's been training at the Sports Science Lab in Turku.

Also, he's not an elite skater. He's good.

Reactions: Ippenator

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He looked excellent again in the first period. Almost scored on his first shift and made a great pass that should have led to a goal on the PP.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Seattle currently sit 3rd in CHL weekly rankings. If Lambert didn't make Winnipeg, an assignment to Seattle would make for a crazy junior team including Korchinski, Schaefer, etc...

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Seattle currently sit 3rd in CHL weekly rankings. If Lambert didn't make Winnipeg, an assignment to Seattle would make for a crazy junior team including Korchinski, Schaefer, etc...
They made the WHL finals last year and still have so many great players on their team.

Lucas Ciona (CGY)
Jordan Gustavsson (VGK)
Nico Myatovic (2023 Draft)
Scott Ratzlaff (2023 Draft)
Gracyn Sawchyn (2023 Draft)
Tij Iginla (2024 Draft)
Kyle Crnkovic (One of the best overagers in WHL)
Jared Davidson (MTL, one of the best O/A in WHL)
Thomas Milic (One of the best G’s in WHL)

They are so stacked they were able to trade away Sam Oremba (A very talented 2023 Draft prospect) because they had so much depth up front and not enough playing time.

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
Thanks for the responses. I'd read about summer training programs and thought it was crazy that there was so little actual skating involved, but assumed that professional trainers/coaches/players know what they're doing, and that it wasn't unusual.

I saw a number of Rantanen's games in the AHL, and he was falling down a lot...

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He looked excellent again in the first period. Almost scored on his first shift and made a great pass that should have led to a goal on the PP.
It wasn't a great game for him overall. Calgary was playing most of it's regular season lineup and the lack of space had a noticeable impact on Lambert's game. He was mostly invisible and made a number of mistakes. He's not ready for the NHL at this point, nor does he need to be. IMO he needs 2 more years of development, assuming everything goes well.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad