C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
How does Lambert compare to Josh Ho-Sang? I've literally never watched Ho-Sang play a game, but reading some thoughts about him, he sounds pretty similar to Lambert. Both guys drafted around the same range too (Ho-Sang #28, Lambert #30).

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lambert has a bigger frame and IMO is faster although Ho-Sang was exceptionally “quick”.

I think Lambert has more latitude to develop into a possession dominating middle-six terrier at the next level if he embraces a complimentary forechecking role. Put less pressure on him to develop along the lines of an offensive “hub” player which he may not have the on-ice awareness for and play to his physical strengths. In a third line type role with lesser talented linemates he’s less likely to short-circuit any offensive flow with “hero ball” and in fact his ability to occasionally blow by and dangle through multiple defenders all on his own would lend some offensive danger to a team further down the line-up. I really think this is the ideal path for him.

Anyways it’s much too early to be fatalistic about his NHL chances. He skates like the wind and has good hands and size - that gives him a long leash for development in the current NHL.

I don’t believe there was much doubt about Ho-Sang being a boom or bust project at the time with little middle ground.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Winnipeg have an excellent player development system in place. They know exactly when to graduate a player to the NHL, and when to take their time. Sounds like Lambert could use a couple years in the AHL.
Lambert has some serious work to do before he’s even ready for the AHL.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Lambert has a bigger frame and IMO is faster although Ho-Sang was exceptionally “quick”.

I think Lambert has more latitude to develop into a possession dominating middle-six terrier at the next level if he embraces a complimentary forechecking role. Put less pressure on him to develop along the lines of an offensive “hub” player which he may not have the on-ice awareness for and play to his physical strengths. In a third line type role with lesser talented linemates he’s less likely to short-circuit any offensive flow with “hero ball” and in fact his ability to occasionally blow by and dangle through multiple defenders all on his own would lend some offensive danger to a team further down the line-up. I really think this is the ideal path for him.

Anyways it’s much too early to be fatalistic about his NHL chances. He skates like the wind and has good hands and size - that gives him a long leash for development in the current NHL.

I don’t believe there was much doubt about Ho-Sang being a boom or bust project at the time with little middle ground.
What made Ho-Sang such a "boom or bust"? And why is Lambert not as much of a "boom or bust"?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What made Ho-Sang such a "boom or bust"? And why is Lambert not as much of a "boom or bust"?
He was very slightly built at the time of the draft and although he's filled out as he's gotten older (a perfectly natural phenomena although it also might have taken a tick or two off the quickness that made him so good as a youth/junior player out of his game) - he never profiled as a guy who was going to able to play a checking role at the NHL level and he was always a guy I thought could be easily outmuscled on the puck when games got physical.

I get that Lambert has shown very little natural predilection towards being some kind of physical defensive team-based player and but he's got a good physical base and I think his skating power will hold up better in transitioning to a pro game that Ho-Sang's skating which was great but relied a lot on edgework and finesse.

I'm not saying Lambert is NOT going to bust at all...I'd say he has a pretty good chance of becoming...well...not much...just like any #28 overall pick. I'm just saying I can envision someday a 28 year-old Lambert finding a niche as a nice complimentary player even if he doesn't become a top six scoring star whereas I don't think many people on 2014 draft day held the same kind of "backup" vision for JHS,

Reactions: Jukurit

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

b25lY21zOjQ1ZDIzOWQwLWIyNjUtNDUwOS1iNDY2LWYxNjlmYjY4NWQ2YjoyOWJkYWEzZi03ZjAwLTQ3OGEtODVlZS1lMz...jpg

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He continues to remind me a lot of Jason Blake. Elite speed, great skill, brutal tunnel vision. Blake turned that into a solid NHL career, maybe Lambert can too.

Tell me that first wraparound goal isn’t pure Lambert:

Reactions: Ippenator

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He continues to remind me a lot of Jason Blake. Elite speed, great skill, brutal tunnel vision. Blake turned that into a solid NHL career, maybe Lambert can too.

Tell me that first wraparound goal isn’t pure Lambert:

That's a pretty good comparison. Only thing missing from Lambert's game is the warrior mentality that Blake had. At least when he played in Anaheim he was willing to fight for the puck and engage physically even though he wasn't the biggest guy. If Lambert could get some of that into his game I would be more confident of him becoming an NHL player.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
That's a pretty good comparison. Only thing missing from Lambert's game is the warrior mentality that Blake had. At least when he played in Anaheim he was willing to fight for the puck and engage physically even though he wasn't the biggest guy. If Lambert could get some of that into his game I would be more confident of him becoming an NHL player.
In Toronto Blake became a shit contract with the guarantee to pick the corners every game, and by pick the corners I mean launch it right into the goalie's chest.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was very slightly built at the time of the draft and although he's filled out as he's gotten older (a perfectly natural phenomena although it also might have taken a tick or two off the quickness that made him so good as a youth/junior player out of his game) - he never profiled as a guy who was going to able to play a checking role at the NHL level and he was always a guy I thought could be easily outmuscled on the puck when games got physical.

I get that Lambert has shown very little natural predilection towards being some kind of physical defensive team-based player and but he's got a good physical base and I think his skating power will hold up better in transitioning to a pro game that Ho-Sang's skating which was great but relied a lot on edgework and finesse.

I'm not saying Lambert is NOT going to bust at all...I'd say he has a pretty good chance of becoming...well...not much...just like any #28 overall pick. I'm just saying I can envision someday a 28 year-old Lambert finding a niche as a nice complimentary player even if he doesn't become a top six scoring star whereas I don't think many people on 2014 draft day held the same kind of "backup" vision for JHS,
Interesting post and in some ways he reminds me of a chance of having a Magnus Paajarvi type of career with a little more offense.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Think he's looked pretty good in Penticton. Creates a lot of good chances, sometimes for both teams but his speed and hands really shine on the smaller ice. Expect he'll have a much better year if he sticks over in NA somewhere.
Yeah he's definitely got some maturing to do with his all around game, but his game was made for small ice. I'm not surprised he's playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad