C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wright's got a better shot from distance than Tavares (or rather, a harder one). But I think you're intentionally underselling Tavares' hands around the net to put Wright's scoring down. It wasn't just Tavares' ability to know where to be that allowed him to score a lot of goals, it was his quick hands in close and his quick reaction time to gobble up rebounds/tip in pucks.

That's like saying that Player X should have scored more than Crosby because Crosby's game is built more about being in the right place, right time. Wright's got a better shot than Crosby (at least the 18 year old version of Crosby), too. But what allowed Crosby to score a tonne in junior wasn't just hockey IQ/hockey sense. It was his otherwordly ability around the net (quick hands, hand-eye coordination, tremendous shot placement accuracy, etc.).
I literally said that Tavares had the better hands, which helped. How is that "intentionally underselling" lol.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
That Caufield pick was our True #1 in the last 210 years lol

Oh yeah, and it felt like everyone knew how lucky we were the second the team picked him. It's probably how NYI's fans felt when they draft Barzal

He was never a generational talent. He was just a young player who matured way earlier than his peers.

ZZzzzzz

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Exactly, that’s why the comparison with him is not good at all, the kid couldn’t develop due to injuries. A healthy Patrick would probably have a 50-60 pts two way C career right now
Didn't he get injured during his draft year too?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I literally said that Tavares had the better hands, which helped. How is that "intentionally underselling" lol.

Because I disagreed with how you made it sound like Wright has better tools, but Tavares excelled because of his hockey IQ. IMO, Tavares' "tools" as a goal scorer are better than Wright's for the reasons listed in my previous post. Wright having a harder shot doesn't automatically mean his overall shooting ability is better. So the notion that Wright should have scored more than Tavares if his hockey IQ is so high doesn't hold water because it suggests that Wright's goal scoring tools are as good as or better than Tavares'.

That's why I brought up Crosby. A guy like Zibanejad has a "better shot" than Crosby, but I don't think Crosby's career superiority in terms of goal scoring comes down to simply Crosby's higher IQ allowing him more opportunities. It discounts Crosby's physical ability to score goals that doesn't have to do with velocity, like release, accuracy, hand-eye coordination (for tips/deflections).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Because I disagreed with how you made it sound like Wright has better tools, but Tavares excelled because of his hockey IQ. IMO, Tavares' "tools" as a goal scorer are better than Wright's for the reasons listed in my previous post. Wright having a harder shot doesn't automatically mean his overall shooting ability is better. So the notion that Wright should have scored more than Tavares if his hockey IQ is so high doesn't hold water because it suggests that Wright's goal scoring tools are as good as or better than Tavares'.

That's why I brought up Crosby. A guy like Zibanejad has a "better shot" than Crosby, but I don't think Crosby's career superiority in terms of goal scoring comes down to simply Crosby's higher IQ allowing him more opportunities. It discounts Crosby's physical ability to score goals that doesn't have to do with velocity, like release, accuracy, hand-eye coordination (for tips/deflections).
I think their tool sets are probably roughly equal overall. Wright with the much better skating and more dangerous mid - long range shot, Tavares the better hands / finishing around the net.

GalHabsGal

Dec 14, 2012
Again, just for fun, if we take the covid year into consideration, this year was not the third year of Shane Wright in the OHL, but more like is second year.

Then, if we compare Shane Wright to the second year of McJesus, I think he got a pretty good second season after 18 months off...

2013-14McJesusOHL56287199
2021-22WrightOHL63326294

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Again, just for fun, if we take the covid year into consideration, this year was not the third year of Shane Wright in the OHL, but more like is second year.

Then, if we compare Shane Wright to the second year of McJesus, I think he got a pretty good second season after 18 months off...

2021-22WrightOHL63326294
Yes, this is exactly how it works 🙄

Shane Wright was locked away frozen and preserved for 18 months and then unfrozen before the OHL season started.

I guess this means Wyatt Johnston is a better prospect considering he put up 124 points in 68 games in his second OHL season.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Yes, this is exactly how it works 🙄

Shane Wright was locked away frozen and preserved for 18 months and then unfrozen before the OHL season started.

I guess this means Wyatt Johnston is a better prospect considering he put up 124 points in 68 games in his second OHL season.
Johnston wasn't frozen...he was vacuum packed.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

2021-22WrightOHL63326294
Johnston > McDavid confirmed

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I mentioned this in the Slafkovsky thread about a week ago and was shot down by Habs fans...

The Black Book also has a lot of quotes from scouts that have some not so nice things to say about Wright, and how Montreal might pick him just because media pressure.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mentioned this in the Slafkovsky thread about a week ago and was shot down by Habs fans...

Well, that's simple.. it's because Grant McCagg is a fraud with no sources anywhere and all he is trying to do is set himself up to be on the right side of anything that happens.

This is what he said literally THREE days ago

now he's saying this:

So if the Habs take Cooley or Slaf, he will drag one of these two tweets out and try to rebuild his credibility so people will buy his shitty draft guide. Everyone knows his one source was Timmins and he's not with the Habs anymore.

If the Habs take Wright? He will just say those were just regular disinformation tweets around draft season etc.

He's building all his contingencies. He's an idiot.

The Black Book also has a lot of quotes from scouts that have some not so nice things to say about Wright, and how Montreal might pick him just because media pressure.

Kent Hughes will not do anything because of media pressure. Neither will Jeff Gorton. These are two guys unified around a singular vision and plan.

One thing they won't do is have the entire fan base thinking its Shane Wright going into the draft. The Habs have plenty of mouthpieces.. Engels being one. Renaud being the other. Engels article just two days ago was talking about the decision not being made but the two pieces he brought in put the debate more on Wright & Cooley than Slaf, but he didn't shut the door on Slaf. So, he doesn't know anything yet. Renaud hasn't tweeted anything.

Bob's list on Tuesday will be the first part. I went back to 08 and every single one of his #1 prospects have gone at #1. If its not Wright at #1, we know it won't be unanimous, but if its not, then its likely that person is going to be the Habs pick. But he will no doubt have information from the Habs and put it into the special/article.. and then you'll start see some of the messaging coming out if it's not Wright, so that when the Habs pick 1st.. that kid is met with nothing but cheers.

They are not going to risk anyone but Wright being picked #1 without the fan base being adequately prepared for the outcome and have that person start their Habs career hearing boos during one of the most important moments of their entire lives.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Well, that's simple.. it's because Grant McCagg is a fraud with no sources anywhere and all he is trying to do is set himself up to be on the right side of anything that happens.

This is what he said literally THREE days ago

now he's saying this:

So if the Habs take Cooley or Slaf, he will drag one of these two tweets out and try to rebuild his credibility so people will buy his shitty draft guide. Everyone knows his one source was Timmins and he's not with the Habs anymore.

If the Habs take Wright? He will just say those were just regular disinformation tweets around draft season etc.

He's building all his contingencies. He's an idiot.

Kent Hughes will not do anything because of media pressure. Neither will Jeff Gorton. These are two guys unified around a singular vision and plan.

One thing they won't do is have the entire fan base thinking its Shane Wright going into the draft. The Habs have plenty of mouthpieces.. Engels being one. Renaud being the other. Engels article just two days ago was talking about the decision not being made but the two pieces he brought in put the debate more on Wright & Cooley than Slaf, but he didn't shut the door on Slaf. So, he doesn't know anything yet. Renaud hasn't tweeted anything.

Bob's list on Tuesday will be the first part. I went back to 08 and every single one of his #1 prospects have gone at #1. If its not Wright at #1, we know it won't be unanimous, but if its not, then its likely that person is going to be the Habs pick. But he will no doubt have information from the Habs and put it into the special/article.. and then you'll start see some of the messaging coming out if it's not Wright, so that when the Habs pick 1st.. that kid is met with nothing but cheers.

They are not going to risk anyone but Wright being picked #1 without the fan base being adequately prepared for the outcome and have that person start their Habs career hearing boos during one of the most important moments of their entire lives.

Then again, booing young players in Montreal is a long-lasting tradition. Only have to think of Doug Harvey :laugh:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Are you the thread police? I will post as much as I'd like, ignore button is easily accessible.
Lol I remember a day when the "thread police" watched over what you were wearing. Whiskey you can post all you like however I have to say that I only agree with about 80% of what you say and I'm not telling which is which.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
We should stop giving this guy attention. It's exactly what he wants. Again, I can't wait for this 1st overall pick to be over with. Never in my life I would imagine us having the 1st overall pick being such a dramatic and negative thing. Media are stupid in creating such none sense and it's tarnishing the whole anticipation and draft for us.

Getting the 1st overall pick is such a blessing and such a positive thing for our organization, for us fans. I know for a fact that Shane is going to be a Habs on draft day. And it will be such a great moment! And if he's not, then whoever we choose, will still be a key player for our core. This is the only thing we need to focus on. And, the other 13 picks we have too. The excitement of moving up in the draft, trading players and being held in Montreal at the Bell Centre is just so exciting. That's what I embrace.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Everyone should consider Grant's NHL source was Trevor Timmins, who is unemployed. He's got 0 insight to who the Habs are picking.

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
Picking Slaf makes no sense to me at #1. Wight and Cooley are centers and have elite ceilings.
Slaf does too, but it's not high enough IMO to draft him over a center when you're picking #1.

I take Wright all day at #1, personally. As Bob Gainey would say: he's a thoroughbred.

I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if Slaf falls to #4-5.
Jiricek and Nemec are both great options at 3-4-5 range IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad