C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Quite early for eating crow on (any of the prospect) as none have played a game in the NHL.
You still have never answered any of my question regarding your take on herd mentality toward Wright.
I didn't answer your questions because I couldn't really make much sense of them. Not trying to be an ass, I'm very curious about the 2022 prospect crop and like discussing and reading about them. It just feels like it's been difficult for some people to admit that Wright comes with a lot of question marks and that some of the praise thrown at him as far as talent, character and leadership doesn't add up with what he has shown this last season.

That doesn't make him a terrible prospect, but perhaps it's time for you and the few people who have been overly defensive and don't really know much about prospect development to have more balanced takes and to open your mind a little?

It's OK. Wright isn't the uncontested #1 pick some people made him to be. Just accept it. You can do it.

Reactions: majormajor

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I didn't answer your questions because I couldn't really make much sense of them. Not trying to be an ass, I'm very curious about the 2022 prospect crop and like discussing and reading about them. It just feels like it's been difficult for some people to admit that Wright comes with a lot of question marks and that some of the praise thrown at him as far as talent, character and leadership doesn't add up with what he has shown this last season.

That doesn't make him a terrible prospect, but perhaps it's time for you and the few people who have been overly defensive and don't really know much about prospect development to have more balanced takes and to open your mind a little?

It's OK. Wright isn't the uncontested #1 pick some people made him to be. Just accept it. You can do it.

None of this matters until these players play in the NHL. Does it matter that Sean Couturier fell in the draft or does it matter that he became the player he is today? Does it matter that Nail Yakuopv was the near-consensus 1st overall, or that RNH was? Nobody will be eating crow on any of these players for 5 years minimum

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So are the Habs going to take the higher ranked W with size and physicality to his game or will they once again reach for the lower ranked C.

:naughty:
I think the Habs will (and should) take Wright. Not saying he will be the best player coming out of this top five.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

You came up with accusations and did not back that up. That was why I was challenging you to provide more depth to your claim that Habs fans are flip flopping all the times based on the KK/Tkachuk draft.

As for your accusation on Wright character, unless you have proof or at the very least reliable comment from press or scouts I consider them quite cheap shot and baseless.

Final take, if it's either Wright or Slaf or another player it seems pretty obvious that it would be the most terrible 1st overall in recent memories. Slafkovsky production at la liiga is not even 1st round worthy based on history.

Time will tell whichever is the best player in the long run maybe we will have some surprise but as pointed out by Bob McKenzie himself a split of 5/4 scouts on 1/2 overall is unheard of. It's not like it went 8/1 Slaf or even 6/3. It's basically a flip coin type of selection

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Wright's got character issues now? Okay.
I'd like to think I am more connected to the inside workings of the OHL, more than the average fan at least - and I have never heard anything bad about Wright. Quite the opposite. I don't know where this is coming from. One of the biggest reasons you draft wright is because of his character and how selfless he is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd like to think I am more connected to the inside workings of the OHL, more than the average fan at least - and I have never heard anything bad about Wright. Quite the opposite. I don't know where this is coming from. One of the biggest reasons you draft wright is because of his character and how selfless he is.
The only knock I've ever heard related to character is if you tie in shift to shift compete/intensity to character. Which is usually not what people mean when they throw around the character concern stuff. It usually reserved for kids who are absolute nightmares to deal with or block out coaching to freelance.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

It is just the latest fairy-tale reason for why you shouldn't pick the guy that was seen as the #1 pick for 5+ years.

Controversy sells better.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is just the latest fairy-tale reason for why you shouldn't pick the guy that was seen as the #1 pick for 5+ years.

Any ranking for a kid before he plays a game in junior in regards to his NHL future is essentially worthless which is why so many of these threads of pre-pubescent prodigies age horrifically. Some people thought Savoie was better at points prior to them being drafted into the WHL/OHL respectively.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
All the Wright fanboys acting like a bunch of babies. If Wright was number 1, the same people would be pointing to the list to bolster their arguments. But because it goes against what they want, now suddenly lists and ranking are worthless. Just goes to prove that most people only seek out information that reinforces their own views and can’t be objective.

With that being said, I’ve been critical of both Wright and Slafkovsky. I’ll be fine with whoever the Habs’ brass picks. Can’t wait until this draft is over with. People have been insufferable on here about it. I wish we could have objective discussions/debates on here in good faith, but there are just too many fanboys who don’t even want to consider anything they don’t already believe. Oh well, it is what it is.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Well, that's simple.. it's because Grant McCagg is a fraud with no sources anywhere and all he is trying to do is set himself up to be on the right side of anything that happens.

This is what he said literally THREE days ago

now he's saying this:

So if the Habs take Cooley or Slaf, he will drag one of these two tweets out and try to rebuild his credibility so people will buy his shitty draft guide. Everyone knows his one source was Timmins and he's not with the Habs anymore.

If the Habs take Wright? He will just say those were just regular disinformation tweets around draft season etc.

He's building all his contingencies. He's an idiot.

Kent Hughes will not do anything because of media pressure. Neither will Jeff Gorton. These are two guys unified around a singular vision and plan.

One thing they won't do is have the entire fan base thinking its Shane Wright going into the draft. The Habs have plenty of mouthpieces.. Engels being one. Renaud being the other. Engels article just two days ago was talking about the decision not being made but the two pieces he brought in put the debate more on Wright & Cooley than Slaf, but he didn't shut the door on Slaf. So, he doesn't know anything yet. Renaud hasn't tweeted anything.

Bob's list on Tuesday will be the first part. I went back to 08 and every single one of his #1 prospects have gone at #1. If its not Wright at #1, we know it won't be unanimous, but if its not, then its likely that person is going to be the Habs pick. But he will no doubt have information from the Habs and put it into the special/article.. and then you'll start see some of the messaging coming out if it's not Wright, so that when the Habs pick 1st.. that kid is met with nothing but cheers.

They are not going to risk anyone but Wright being picked #1 without the fan base being adequately prepared for the outcome and have that person start their Habs career hearing boos during one of the most important moments of their entire lives.

;D

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Seen as the number #1 pick by who? Obviously not NHL scouts because this survey shows they don't see him as a worthy 1OA or even a top line player. Is there someone out there who's opinion matters more than NHL scouts when it comes to evaluating players?

Reactions: majormajor

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Seen as the number #1 pick by who? Obviously not NHL scouts because this survey shows they don't see him as a worthy 1OA or even a top line player. Is there someone out there who's opinion matters more than NHL scouts when it comes to evaluating players?

Well if you were listening to the whole thing you would realize that Bob asked 5 more NHL scouts after those first 10 and the question asked was a simple "Wright or Slafkovsky @ #1?"

3 said Wright first
2 said Slafkovsky first

That brings the totals for #1 votes to: 7 Wright, 7 Slafkovsky, 1 Cooley.

He could have asked 10 teams that need a center in his previous polls (Wright won by a decent amount). This time it could have been scouts whose teams need a winger. Organizational need is a very important factor.

The teams with 2 good centers might have Wright #2. Montreal should have a center ranked #1.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well if you were listening to the whole thing you would realize that Bob asked 5 more NHL scouts after those first 10 and the question asked was a simple "Wright or Slafkovsky @ #1?"

3 said Wright first
2 said Slafkovsky first

That brings the totals for #1 votes to: 7 Wright, 7 Slafkovsky, 1 Cooley.

He could have asked 10 teams that need a center in his previous polls (Wright won by a decent amount). This time it could have been scouts whose teams need a winger. Organizational need is a very important factor.

The teams with 2 good centers might have Wright #2. Montreal should have a center ranked #1.

Center over winger is already factored in to those scouts' choices. If it wasn't, the poll might have been lopsided in Slafkovsky's favor.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Center over winger is already factored in to those scouts' choices. If it wasn't, the poll might have been lopsided in Slafkovsky's favor.

The 15 scouts that Bob spoke to were not even asked the same question as admitted by him. The first 10 were given one question and as I mentioned the last 5 were asked directly "Wright or Slafkovsky @ #1".

Once again, Montreal has an organizational need at center and they will be drafting a center with the #1 pick. Nobody is head and shoulders better than anyone else. Cooley or Wright will go #1.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The 15 scouts that Bob spoke to were not even asked the same question as admitted by him. The first 10 were given one question and as I mentioned the last 5 were asked directly "Wright or Slafkovsky @ #1".

Once again, Montreal has an organizational need at center and they will be drafting a center with the #1 pick. Nobody is head and shoulders better than anyone else. Cooley or Wright will go #1.

If the scouts didn't think that Slafkovsky was a better choice than Wright, then they wouldn't have said so. The center wins the tie. This was not a tie for the scouts that prefer Slafkovsky.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

According to some people,
saying he deserves to be the 1st overall pick = character issue

:laugh:

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
If the scouts didn't think that Slafkovsky was a better choice than Wright, then they wouldn't have said so. The center wins the tie. This was not a tie for the scouts that prefer Slafkovsky.

There was 1 vote between the two players from those 10 NHL scouts. 5 (Slaf)- 4 (wright) -1 (Cooley). You are speaking in absolutes about two prospects before they play a single NHL game with a random sample of 10 NHL scouts that was super close.

The next 5 NHL scouts Bob asked picked Wright (3) directly over Slaf (2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad