C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because I disagreed with how you made it sound like Wright has better tools, but Tavares excelled because of his hockey IQ. IMO, Tavares' "tools" as a goal scorer are better than Wright's for the reasons listed in my previous post. Wright having a harder shot doesn't automatically mean his overall shooting ability is better. So the notion that Wright should have scored more than Tavares if his hockey IQ is so high doesn't hold water because it suggests that Wright's goal scoring tools are as good as or better than Tavares'.

That's why I brought up Crosby. A guy like Zibanejad has a "better shot" than Crosby, but I don't think Crosby's career superiority in terms of goal scoring comes down to simply Crosby's higher IQ allowing him more opportunities. It discounts Crosby's physical ability to score goals that doesn't have to do with velocity, like release, accuracy, hand-eye coordination (for tips/deflections).
Crosby actively depresses his wrist shot by the stick he chooses for the advantage of having a better backhand. The tradeoff obviously works for him. I believe he uses a very flat blade with a high level of stiffness compared to someone like Matthews for example who uses a Sakic curve and a more whippy stick.

The draft is in Montreal. Imagine how the crowd would react if the Habs chose anyone other than Wright at 1OA? It would make for good viewing.
If they are going with someone who isn't Wright they probably have to leak to media ahead of time so it doesn't look ugly if it happens.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
. It discounts Crosby's physical ability to score goals that doesn't have to do with velocity, like release, accuracy, hand-eye coordination (for tips/deflections).

I think their tool sets are probably roughly equal overall. Wright with the much better skating and more dangerous mid - long range shot, Tavares the better hands / finishing around the net.

I think we would be remiss if we didn't add puck protection to the comparison. It is a critical part of the skillset for both Crosby and Tavares. They are comfortable making plays with a man draped on their back.

That is actually the part of Wright's game that concerns me the most. I don't know if it is a lack of lower body balance or perhaps something with his training is off, but he looks weak and rushed with a man on him.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If they are going with someone who isn't Wright they probably have to leak to media ahead of time so it doesn't look ugly if it happens.

I personally don't care who they pick but I would like the Habs to leak that it isn't Wright just so we can see all the "180s" from the more chauvinistic Habs fans on HF. I think it will take them about three days to totally turn against Wright.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I personally don't care who they pick but I would like the Habs to leak that it isn't Wright just so we can see all the "180s" from the more chauvinistic Habs fans on HF. I think it will take them about three days to totally turn against Wright.
No, i'll still think the pick is a mistake if they take slaf, I think he's being overrated on his size and despite everything that they say about Wright he's still been a consensus and he's a center. Now with all of that said, if they have some wonky ass trade worked out to get Dubois and they think that Slaf is head and shoulders better then everyone else then I could be ok with it. but I still think Wright will be the best player from this draft

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Yup.

I remember when we last had the 3rd overall and posters on the Habs board were entertaining that theory that Bergevin was "going to pick Tkachuk because he was obssessed with BLOODLINES and that it was of the utmost importance not to draft him and to instead pick the center"

Then a few years later, those EXACT same people were like "lolz... I always knew it should huv been Tkachuk but Bergevin was obssessed with drafting by needs but I knew better"

The same posters are at it again with weird theories and infatuations. If the Habs pick Slafkovsky they're going to make a 180 and not even be embarassed about it, because that's what people with the herd mentality do on HF. And if the pick bombs they'll make a second 180 years later.

You have to remember that a lot of these people used to think Trevor Timmins was a genius. Not in an exagerrated way. Like, they genuinely thought this clown was a wizard of drafting. It kind of tells you how much sme of these guys know abot prospects.

Reactions: majormajor

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yup.

I remember when we last had the 3rd overall and posters on the Habs board were entertaining that theory that Bergevin was "going to pick Tkachuk because he was obssessed with BLOODLINES and that it was of the utmost importance not to draft him and to instead pick the center"

Then a few years later, those EXACT same people were like "lolz... I always knew it should huv been Tkachuk but Bergevin was obssessed with drafting by needs but I knew better"

The same posters are at it again with weird theories and infatuations. If the Habs pick Slafkovsky they're going to make a 180 and not even be embarassed about it, because that's what people with the herd mentality do on HF. And if the pick bombs they'll make a second 180 years later.

You have to remember that a lot of these people used to think Trevor Timmins was a genius. Not in an exagerrated way. Like, they genuinely thought this clown was a wizard of drafting. It kind of tells you how much sme of these guys know abot prospects.
Who are "these guys"?
Are you saying that Wright is this year KK?
Herd mentality on what exactly?
Is timmins a genious then by who?
Your post is very confusing.

I've had strong opiniated arguments with many other posters around here but I have rarely seen people opinion flip flop as you mention. Especially on the Tkachuk/KK situation. I think the consensus among all is that Wright is the safest and most logical choice. Does that make anybody with that opinion part of a herd mentality? Please explain your thought on that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Grant McCagg was a big fan of Trevor Timmins, take it for what its worth. Maybe Timmins would have reached for Slav like he did for Kotkaniemi
Even Bergevin would have picked Wright. He spent 10 years telling us it’s impossible to trade for Top 6 centres, that no one wants to give them up. He also preached character over everything else. He wouldn’t have passed on the opportunity to pick Wright.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Even Bergevin would have picked Wright. He spent 10 years telling us it’s impossible to trade for Top 6 centres, that no one wants to give them up. He also preached character over everything else. He wouldn’t have passed on the opportunity to pick Wright.
Especially when you consider the other options. Maybe Cooley but definitely not slaf

Reactions: le_sean

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

So what is the difference in character and leadership between Wright and Slafkovsky and Cooley? I've heard people mention that Wright is a great leader but what is some more concrete evidence of that?

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So what is the difference in character and leadership between Wright and Slafkovsky and Cooley? I've heard people mention that Wright is a great leader but what is some more concrete evidence of that?
I’m not in the dressing room so I can’t answer for certainty. But it’s the first thing people talk about when they mention Shane Wright. Captain of the U18 team, captain of the Fronts. Good head on his shoulders as you can see in interviews.

Slafkovsky, don’t know what he’s like. I’d imagine he’s probably more reserved since he’s on a men’s team and was 17. Cooley didn’t even wear a letter at the U18 but that doesn’t necessarily mean he lacks character.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Captain of his Junior team, Captain of the u18 team, genuinely being described as that from previous coaches

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Captain of his Junior team, Captain of the u18 team, genuinely being described as that from previous coaches
Drouin was alternate captain on the Mooseheads and same at the WJC and I wouldn't even trust the guy to lead his way out of a paper bag. I don't know that you can read much into that.

Matt Duchene, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Nolan Patrick, Max Domi, Alex Galchenyuk have all worn letters, among many players with character issues.

Meanwhile, Shea Weber, widely considered one of the greatest leader of his generation, was never captain of anything before reaching the NHL.

Maybe Wright is a great leader when it comes to perfecting his golf skills or saying he deserves to be drafted #1, but other than that, the jury is still out on the former phenom who underachieved in his draft year.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I’m not in the dressing room so I can’t answer for certainty. But it’s the first thing people talk about when they mention Shane Wright. Captain of the U18 team, captain of the Fronts. Good head on his shoulders as you can see in interviews.

Slafkovsky, don’t know what he’s like. I’d imagine he’s probably more reserved since he’s on a men’s team and was 17. Cooley didn’t even wear a letter at the U18 but that doesn’t necessarily mean he lacks character.
Cooley's character, his work and intensity on the ice is enough, he's more gonna be a leader on the ice than being a leader who'll say it with words. Like Suzuki i feel like.

I feel like Wright it's the other way around he might have some sort of presence. I read an article about him around the lottery, his agent said he was the kind of guy his teammates tried to copy in the locker room but then the journalist talked about the game he watched and how Wright was kind of invisible.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Drouin was alternate captain on the Mooseheads and same at the WJC and I wouldn't even trust the guy to lead his way out of a paper bag. I don't know that you can read much into that.

Matt Duchene, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Nolan Patrick, Max Domi, Alex Galchenyuk have all worn letters, among many players with character issues.

Meanwhile, Shea Weber, widely considered one of the greatest leader of his generation, was never captain of anything before reaching the NHL.

Maybe Wright is a great leader when it comes to perfecting his golf skills or saying he deserves to be drafted #1, but other than that, the jury is still out on the former phenom who underachieved in his draft year.
the question was does he have a leadership history, I provided it, it's clear you have an axe to grind so why even bother wasting your time in this thread if for nothing more then to provide no substance to the discussion.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Sorry but you are truly coming in with bad faith in this thread with strawman arguments like you provided.
Might as well list all captains that dissapointed or list all non captain players that succeeded.

As for the record, Weber did have a letter with Kelowna and none of the guy you listed were ever captain as 17 years old or at the u18.

As for his 'leadership' qualities. It has been noted many scouting outlet and NHL personnel. Might as well disregard their opinion as well?

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

His coaches have all praised his leadership abilities so unless you have any specific inside information you are just making BS up.

Reactions: InAG-P

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Wright is a bit reserved, almost shy in a group setting. He leads by example and hard work. He is not the rah rah type at all.

With his own age group he is reserved, with a room full of men I am quite certain he wouldn't say boo.

His preparation and focus is pro like and has a singular focus on hockey.

Off the ice he is very similar to John Tavares especially when comparing them at the same age.

Reactions: Price is Wright

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He leads by example and hard work.

On the ice? He's a great player but on first glance doesn't seem like the type that everyone can follow his lead. His low workrate/ high iq combination is kind of the opposite of some leaders. Like I'm thinking of players like Boone Jenner that empty the tank every night and squeeze everything they can out of their limited skill set.

My sense of it is that the Kingston team really underperformed their talent level and that shouldn't look good for their captain. Perhaps Wright is actually a great leader in the making I'm just hesitant to believe it because hockey Canada types are always anointing top skilled players like that as great leaders and it is sometimes just hot air.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
On the ice? He's a great player but on first glance doesn't seem like the type that everyone can follow his lead. His low workrate/ high iq combination is kind of the opposite of some leaders. Like I'm thinking of players like Boone Jenner that empty the tank every night and squeeze everything they can out of their limited skill set.

My sense of it is that the Kingston team really underperformed their talent level and that shouldn't look good for their captain. Perhaps Wright is actually a great leader in the making I'm just hesitant to believe it because hockey Canada types are always anointing top skilled players like that as great leaders and it is sometimes just hot air.
This is some of the evidence I use to calculate Shane's Gem factor.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I just don''t see the habs taking Slaf - after looking for C's for 3 decades, why not take the guy projected to be a 70 pt C?
Wright looks like the kind of player who will do whatever it takes to improve his game.
I don't care if Slaf will create a death line with Caufield and Suzuki, Ch needs to spread the depth around.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just don''t see the habs taking Slaf - after looking for C's for 3 decades, why not take the guy projected to be a 70 pt C?
Wright looks like the kind of player who will do whatever it takes to improve his game.
I don't care if Slaf will create a death line with Caufield and Suzuki, Ch needs to spread the depth around.

If Habs' scouts think that Wright is going to be that caliber of player, then yes 100% they are going to take him.

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021

IDK maybe the fact that he shares the spotlight. Never takes all the credit. Praises teammates. Never blames his teammates, even when they're bad.

The whole team could play like shit and he could be the best player on the ice and he'd tell you. "I didn't do enough". He's 18 years old. Says all the (w)right things and carries himself with a lot poise and maturity. All there is evidence of him being a great leader. He captained Canada at 17 and won a gold medal. Wright has had the spotlight on him for years.

That doesn't mean Slaf or Cooley aren't good teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad