C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Of course you can. Hardly any NHL players end up putting up a point per game, the initial assumption for every single player is that they won't be that type of player. When you watch a prospect he may show abilities that change that, but if you compare Wright to the type of prospects that had a really high chance to be that ppg player he's way way behind. I mean he isn't even close. That's not to say he has no chance but he's more likely to be a 40 point player than an 80 point player based on what he's shown in the CHL this year. The real likleyhood is that he falls somewhere in between.

I don't see elite hockey sense in fact I think hockey sense is a deficiency for him He didn't dominate the CHL the way he should have with his physical tools, this points to something missing in his hockey IQ. Either that or he's just plain lazy, which would be worse.

Expecting a prospect to be a 60 point player isn't being negative, most prospects don't come close to that and even high draft picks don't generally exceed that.

You and others seem to think that because Wright is the "consensus 1st overall pick" it means he'll automatically be an elite player, but it's not draft position that decides that it's play on the ice, and Wrights actual play this year doesn't justify that assumption. He'll likely go 1OA but only because the other alternatives are equally uninspiring, it's a particularly weak draft at the top end and some people need to come to grips with that.
44 players were at least a PPG this year so it's not that rare.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Of course you can. Hardly any NHL players end up putting up a point per game, the initial assumption for every single player is that they won't be that type of player. When you watch a prospect he may show abilities that change that, but if you compare Wright to the type of prospects that had a really high chance to be that ppg player he's way way behind. I mean he isn't even close. That's not to say he has no chance but he's more likely to be a 40 point player than an 80 point player based on what he's shown in the CHL this year. The real likleyhood is that he falls somewhere in between.

I don't see elite hockey sense in fact I think hockey sense is a deficiency for him He didn't dominate the CHL the way he should have with his physical tools, this points to something missing in his hockey IQ. Either that or he's just plain lazy, which would be worse.

Expecting a prospect to be a 60 point player isn't being negative, most prospects don't come close to that and even high draft picks don't generally exceed that.

You and others seem to think that because Wright is the "consensus 1st overall pick" it means he'll automatically be an elite player, but it's not draft position that decides that it's play on the ice, and Wrights actual play this year doesn't justify that assumption. He'll likely go 1OA but only because the other alternatives are equally uninspiring, it's a particularly weak draft at the top end and some people need to come to grips with that.
his hockey sense is a deficiency??? What a complete load of BS. Obviously, you do not have a clue and will say anything to gain attention.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

From generational talent to 40 point player in one year, I’ve seen it all lmfao

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
He was never a generational talent. He was just a young player who matured way earlier than his peers.
You cannot say if a player will or won't be a generational before he is even drafted. Generation=25-30 years. He was granted exceptional status something that only a handful of players have received. Many of these went on to be star players. Not many generational players in the league and wrightly so if the word has any significance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You cannot say if a player will or won't be a generational before he is even drafted. Generation=25-30 years. He was granted exceptional status something that only a handful of players have received. Many of these went on to be star players. Not many generational players in the league and wrightly so if the word has any significance.
You label them generational prospects. Since 1980 there have been 4 clear ones. Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, and McDavid. These are guys who are expected to walk into the league, potentially win a Hart on their ELC, and finish with a ton of awards. All of these guys will end up in the Hall of Fame, and the only one who fell short of expectations was Lindros (still made the HHOF) due to having his career destroyed by concussions. Ovi was either in this or just missed as a prospect. Then there are guys the level below them such as Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon, Tavares, Stamkos, Malkin, etc. It was hope Wright would be in that tier, but generational was always a reach. He landed in the tier below that which contains big successes like Draisaitl/Barkov, good players like Duchene/Hischier and frustrating players like Sam Bennett and Dylan Strome. Doesn't mean he can't be an elite player, but there is much less certainty around it as a prospect that those two clear tiers above him.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

If you think hockey sense is a deficiency then you just eliminated yourself from being a serious poster on this topic. You disqualified yourself from having an opinion!

I can’t take you seriously at all and too bad. Will engage the more serious and realistic posters instead in hopes of having a meaningful discussion.

Have fun mindlessly hating on Wright. I won’t get in your path to stupidity.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you think hockey sense is a deficiency then you just eliminated yourself from being a serious poster on this topic. You disqualified yourself from having an opinion!

I can’t take you seriously at all and too bad. Will engage the more serious and realistic posters instead in hopes of having a meaningful discussion.

Have fun mindlessly hating on Wright. I won’t get in your path to stupidity.
I agree with you that his IQ is an asset as opposed to a liability, but I also think it gets a bit overrated. He is a smart player, no doubt, but I don't think he has elite overall IQ.

When you look at his physical gifts vs a guy like Tavares at the same age, and you would expect Wright to be able to match Tavares production. Wright is a better skater and shooter than Tavares was, yet still is waaay behind in terms of goal scoring. Tavares had a better set of hands, which obviously helped, but he also just had a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Wright hasn't shown that ability. And while his positioning is sound and he demonstrates an "elite" understanding of the game, I don't see "elite" anticipation skills. I think that may limit his upside at the next level.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I agree with you that his IQ is an asset as opposed to a liability, but I also think it gets a bit overrated. He is a smart player, no doubt, but I don't think he has elite overall IQ.

When you look at his physical gifts vs a guy like Tavares at the same age, and you would expect Wright to be able to match Tavares production. Wright is a better skater and shooter than Tavares was, yet still is waaay behind in terms of goal scoring. Tavares had a better set of hands, which obviously helped, but he also just had a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Wright hasn't shown that ability. And while his positioning is sound and he demonstrates an "elite" understanding of the game, I don't see "elite" anticipation skills. I think that may limit his upside at the next level.
I love Wright’s give and go game and ability to see the play unfold before it occurs. He has an elite shot and is an excellent passer who can make no look passes due to his innate ability to read the play. Its the same reason why he is elite defensively because he anticipates ands reads plays.

His skillsets will improve naturally. People that say his skillsets at 18 are plateaued are clueless.

Wright has no obvious flaws that would impede his development. That’s why I think he will surpass negative, lowball projections on this site.

The more i watch video on Wright, the more I appreciate his game. I went from a sceptic to a believer on SW.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I love Wright’s give and go game and ability to see the play unfold before it occurs. He has an elite shot and is an excellent passer who can make no look passes due to his innate ability to read the play. Its the same reason why he is elite defensively because he anticipates ands reads plays.

His skillsets will improve naturally. People that say his skillsets at 18 are plateaued are clueless.

Wright has no obvious flaws that would impede his development. That’s why I think he will surpass negative, lowball projections on this site.

The more i watch video on Wright, the more I appreciate his game. I went from a sceptic to a believer on SW.
But he really wasn't elite defensively this year in the OHL?

He's a very underrated passer though, especially through the neutral zone.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
But he really wasn't elite defensively this year in the OHL?

He's a very underrated passer though, especially through the neutral zone.
He was elite in transitioning defense to offense. Breaking up plays then organizing breakouts.

He does things no other junior conceives of. Like positioning and trajectories without the puck to open up avenues. He is fantastic. As a coach of young kids, its rare to see that. It’s uncommon for NHl players to do that.

Danault was a master at trajectories and he single-handedly boosted the puck possession numbers for his line. Wright does this in junior! I love this shit!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You lost me there. It screams to me stats watching and not actually watching him play.

Everybody who have watched him have come up with the same observation. Dominant playmaker who creates many chanes for his teammates and great hockey sense (both ways). His best attributes by far is his hockey sense. That's not even a question.

What has been frustrating watching him play and made people question him as been the effort/intensity/desire in his play not his hockey sense. You are right in a sense that he should have dominated more because he is smarter and he has all the tools but the lack of effort is the big reason of that.

His hockey sense is way above everybody else in this draft if we go with comparables and what make him still the best talent in this draft.

Reactions: viceroy and Angler

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I really like the comparison type of prospect. I think they are both mature young players at 15 years old, they play a not flashy game, but they are both studs.
If Wright can bring the same level impact as Ekblad at C, Montreal is getting a W.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
A bit off-topic but in my opinion, Nolan Patrick has failed so far in his NHL career because of the plethora of head injuries he has sustained in his young career.
Exactly, that’s why the comparison with him is not good at all, the kid couldn’t develop due to injuries. A healthy Patrick would probably have a 50-60 pts two way C career right now

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Wright's got a better shot from distance than Tavares (or rather, a harder one). But I think you're intentionally underselling Tavares' hands around the net to put Wright's scoring down. It wasn't just Tavares' ability to know where to be that allowed him to score a lot of goals, it was his quick hands in close and his quick reaction time to gobble up rebounds/tip in pucks.

That's like saying that Player X should have scored more than Crosby because Crosby's game is built more about being in the right place, right time. Wright's got a better shot than Crosby (at least the 18 year old version of Crosby), too. But what allowed Crosby to score a tonne in junior wasn't just hockey IQ/hockey sense. It was his otherwordly ability around the net (quick hands, hand-eye coordination, tremendous shot placement accuracy, etc.).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
CF. Nolen Patrick...

Great comparison. Wright's also had multiple injuries/concussion issues as well to make this such a compelling and thought out comparable!

Your posts in this thread are displaying your lack of following Wright (or most of these prospects in general since you seem to think Patrick became what he did for no apparent reason outside of just his skillset not being good enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad