C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Shane Wright not at the top of another list (hockey prospects). A lot of Hab fans still think this is just all for media attention lol?

Next season he will put up around 40 points. Career wise he will be like a ~70 point dude in his prime.

Sounds exactly like what most people are expecting him to be, including most Montreal fans.

Is anybody else worth drafting over that while also being a safe bet?

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
Must be fun coming up with excuses for why people don't think Wright is the best player available in this draft.

Guess it's easier than accepting the reality that he's done nothing to really separate himself from the pack.
You never stop do you?

We get it, Shane Wright is not your first overall pick. Neither is he mine but i don't scream it every other minute.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Must be fun coming up with excuses for why people don't think Wright is the best player available in this draft.

Guess it's easier than accepting the reality that he's done nothing to really separate himself from the pack.
Even if that’s true, that’s just a convenience for some.

For some, although the reason he may not live up to the billing is legit, for some, the reason they don’t want him to live up to the billing really has nothing to do with legitimate arguments.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds exactly like what most people are expecting him to be, including most Montreal fans.

Is anybody else worth drafting over that while also being a safe bet?

Lmao as you said that is literally what most of us expect 30-35 goals and 35-45 assists while being a good two way centre is the expectation.

Basically O'Reilly or Couturier with some extra goals cause he has a nasty shot.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Most Habs fans I've seen are predicting a 70-80pt player. Some people just like to exaggerate things and generalize fanbases with the goal of "adding" to their argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wright is like a robot taking the most optimal geometrical path on the ice, but he lacks the animalistic drive that takes over games. That's from watching about 2-3 hours of footage, nothing more.

He will not be the best player from this draft, but I still don't see anybody else worth drafting over him except maybe Slafkovsky. You gotta put yourself in Montreal's shoes, they cannot take a big gamble with the 1st overall pick and end up with a complete bust.

Wright and Slaf have higher floors. Wright for his IQ, Slaf for his board play. At worst they end up as unremarkable 3rd liners.

Not a fun year to be at the top.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Either have any of the players you would pick at 1OA but here we are.

A lot of posters don't have Wright as #1, its just something about your posting that I find extra obnoxious. Its like you're hanging out in this thread waiting to tell people they're wrong.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
At the 2021 draft, I believe Jeff Gorton said something along the lines of “I don’t want to draft a kid that has had a beard since he was 15”. Alluding to the fact he didn’t like drafting kids that are more physically mature than their peers and relyed on that to put up numbers.

He is now with the Canadiens and is poised to draft a kid at #1 who has had the ability to grow a beard since he was 15. Just funny really.
Interestingly enough he drafted Lafreniere, who also had the ability to grow a beard pre-draft, the year before with the top pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Most Habs fans I've seen are predicting a 70-80pt player. Some people just like to exaggerate things and generalize fanbases with the goal of "adding" to their argument.
I think more people have issues with the potential Selke winner/Bergeron that gets attached to it by some posters. A 70-80 point Bergeron/ROR/Couturier are much different in value than a 70-80 point Sean Monahan.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
I think more people have issues with the potential Selke winner/Bergeron that gets attached to it by some posters. A 70-80 point Bergeron/ROR/Couturier are much different in value than a 70-80 point Sean Monahan.
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Someone compares the style of two players and you misinterpret the post as someone saying that Wright will be as good as Bergeron. Context is everything, and some people simply ignore it. Maybe there's a poster or two who think he will have a career as good as Bergeron, but I haven't personally seen any posts suggesting that.

Reactions: viceroy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Someone compares the style of two players and you misinterpret the post as someone saying that Wright will be as good as Bergeron. Context is everything, and some people simply ignore it. Maybe there's a poster or two who think he will have a career as good as Bergeron, but I haven't personally seen any posts suggesting that.
We've seen multiple posts claiming he'll be high-end defensively. And, if you are going to point to Bergeron, yeah, high-end defensive ability matters. It's like when I was told Laine was stylistically similar to Mario Lemieux for pages because he was tall and lanky. Plus, if you think Wright plays with the compete and style of Bergeron, I'd say its very far reaching.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
We've seen multiple posts claiming he'll be high-end defensively. And, if you are going to point to Bergeron, yeah, high-end defensive ability matters. It's like when I was told Laine was stylistically similar to Mario Lemieux for pages because he was tall and lanky. Plus, if you think Wright plays with the compete and style of Bergeron, I'd say its very far reaching.
Well that's their opinion and they are welcome to it. But for someone to take what they said and twist it into "You think he'll be as good as Bergeron?!" is not an accurate portrayal of what most of those people were actually trying to say.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well that's their opinion and they are welcome to it. But for someone to take what they said and twist it into "You think he'll be as good as Bergeron?!" is not an accurate portrayal of what most of those people were actually trying to say.
How can someone be stylistically comparable to Bergeron and not be a potential Selke winner? It beyond loaded when you use that comparable. It implies he will be an elite 2-way player. Just like saying someone is stylistically similar to Matthews you'd expect them to be an elite goal scorer. It is such a defined part of their game to be stylistically similar implies they are high-end in that regard.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
How can someone be stylistically comparable to Bergeron and not be a potential Selke winner? It beyond loaded when you use that comparable. It implies he will be an elite 2-way player. Just like saying someone is stylistically similar to Matthews you'd expect them to be an elite goal scorer. It is such a defined part of their game to be stylistically similar implies they are high-end in that regard.
Ummm because style doesn't equal skill level? It's pretty straight forward. Two players with different levels of talent can play a similar style of hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then make the argument as to why you think they are wrong. Don't twist the post and create a strawman argument based on something they never actually implied.
I said why. He doesn't play close to the shift to shift effort and compete of Wright, which is why I said it was bad. If you don't think saying a 70-80 point player but plays stylistically like Bergeron is loaded, then you are ignoring the implications of the comparison. Part of what makes Bergeron as great as he is, is his ability to constantly win battles with his compete combined with his awareness. You simply can't stylistically play like Bergeron without elite awareness combined with a high-compete level.

There are many examples here talking about how high-end 2-way he is without that. My main point was, their is a large gap between being a high-end defensive player who gets 70-80 points as a center, and being someone like Sean Monahan.

It's like me saying Brad Lambert plays like Connor McDavid, while just omitting the part where its Brad Lambert plays like Connor McDavid if he had the hockey IQ of door knob.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peasy

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Then make the argument as to why you think they are wrong. Don't twist the post and create a strawman argument based on something they never actually implied.

Describing a prospect's "style" is perhaps even more useless than asking someone how they're feeling after winning the Stanley Cup.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
I said why. He doesn't play close to the shift to shift effort and compete of Wright, which is why I said it was bad. If you don't think saying a 70-80 point player but plays stylistically like Bergeron is loaded, then you are ignoring the implications of the comparison. Part of what makes Bergeron as great as he is, is his ability to constantly win battles with his compete combined with his awareness. You simply can't stylistically play like Bergeron without elite awareness combined with a high-compete level.

There are many examples here talking about how high-end 2-way he is without that. My main point was, their is a large gap between being a high-end defensive player who gets 70-80 points as a center, and being someone like Sean Monahan.
Listen, I originally posted that people were taking other posters comments out of context and trying to use it against them. It's how modern politicians argue and its rampant on these boards. That was my point. Did you think I was specifically talking about you? Because I wasn't, you weren't amongst the posters that I have seen do this. Anyway, this is really going nowhere...

Reactions: viceroy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Listen, I originally posted that people were taking other posters comments out of context and trying to use it against them. It's how modern politicians argue and its rampant on these boards. That was my point. Did you think I was specifically talking about you? Because I wasn't, you weren't amongst the posters that I have seen do this. Anyway, this is really going nowhere...
No, I was pointing to why there are disputes even if people agree on the 70-80 point range. If someone thinks he's an Bergeron, ROR or Couturier level 70-80 point guy, and the other group thinks he's a Monahan/Duchene 70-80 point guy it leaves a lot of room for dispute.

Reactions: Peasy

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad