C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Your whole argument for Slafkovsky is that he has a hypothetical potential advantage and did extremely well in two small sample size tournaments. That is the epitome of risk, compared to Wright.

The only way that is the "epitome of risk" is if you can otherwise guarantee with near-certainty that Wright will be the better player. I guess you could try and claim that, but since you're not a scout for an NHL team involved in this decision and thus will not "potentially have your job depend on it" to quote you, it's conversely no skin off your back if you get it wrong.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Slafkovsky might be bit riskier but also higher reward.
So then why’d you quote my post? You admit he’s riskier.

The only way that is the "epitome of risk" is if you can otherwise guarantee with near-certainty that Wright will be the better player. I guess you could try and claim that, but since you're not a scout for an NHL team involved in this decision and thus will not "potentially have your job depend on it" to quote you, it's conversely no skin off your back if you get it wrong.
Your logic makes no sense. You’ve set up a situation where since none of us have real skin in the game that we can’t give our opinions. I think it’s a pretty widely held opinion that Wright is as close as a guarantee to be a good player as there is in this draft, while Slafkovsky carries significant risk.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
So then why’d you quote my post? You admit he’s riskier.

Your logic makes no sense. You’ve set up a situation where since none of us have real skin in the game that we can’t give our opinions. I think it’s a pretty widely held opinion that Wright is as close as a guarantee to be a good player as there is in this draft, while Slafkovsky carries significant risk.
I think you might have a backwards. More risk with Wright.

Reactions: majormajor

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I think it’s a pretty widely held opinion that Wright is as close as a guarantee to be a good player as there is in this draft, while Slafkovsky carries significant risk.
It's a widely held but vastly inaccurate opinion.

As is the opinion that Slafkovsky is a much higher reward prospect than Wright.

For some reason, several uneducated North Americans like to label every Euro prospect as a "higher risk, higher reward player" when they don't know what else to say. That, and praise North American guys as "having character", even when it's patently obvious the guy has as much character as a spider plant.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's widely held but vastly inaccurate opinion.

For some reason, several uneducated North Americans like to label every Euro prospect as "higher risk, higher reward player" when they don't know what else to say. That, and praise North American guys as "having characters" even when it's patently obvious the guy has as much character as a spider plant.
He’s high risk because he hasn’t played up to the level of being the best player in his draft class in large samples.

I also didn’t say Slafkovsky has higher upside. I don’t think he does. I didn’t say anything about character either. Try addressing what I actually said.

I think you might have a backwards. More risk with Wright.
I don’t see what’s risky about Wright. There’s no part of the game he’s actually bad at. He’s produced at a good level everywhere he’s played. Will he be one of the best centers in the NHL? It’s too early to know, but where’s the big risk?

Reactions: jj cale

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't understand how Slafkovsky can be seen as risky when his size, Skating, and elite board skills guarantee him playing in the NHL.

At worst Slafkovsky is a Winger version of Danault.

Realistically I don't see how Slafkovsky or Wright could not have an NHL career.

Reactions: Colezuki

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It's a widely held but vastly inaccurate opinion.

For some reason, several uneducated North Americans like to label every Euro prospect as a "higher risk, higher reward player" when they don't know what else to say. That, and praise North American guys as "having character", even when it's patently obvious the guy has as much character as a spider plant.
Wow you must be the smartest guy here then, smarter than most NHL scouts too. Why don’t you work for an NHL team? We have an expert in our midst everyone. Don’t question his supreme scouting expertise and learn what you can from his presence here.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Don't understand how Slafkovsky can be seen as risky when his size, Skating, and elite board skills guarantee him playing in the NHL.

At worst Slafkovsky is a Winger version of Danault.

Realistically I don't see how Slafkovsky or Wright could not have an NHL career.
The risk I see, is that he isn't necessarily a proven point producer. I have a really hard time extrapolating an entire career off of 16 or so games.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Wow you must be the smartest guy here then, smarter than most NHL scouts too. Why don’t you work for an NHL team?
I used to, but then I got a better job that allowed a more stable family life so I could raise kids that wouldn't end up like... I don't know... you?

And I don't need to be smarter than most NHL scouts. They aren't the ones massively spreading misinformation about Slafkovsky. That's more the realm of average Joes like you.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I used to, but then I got a better job that allowed a more stable family life so I could raise kids that wouldn't end up like... I don't know... you?

And I don't need to be smarter than most NHL scouts. They aren't the ones massively spreading misinformation about Slafkovsky. That's more the realm of average Joes like you.
Did you know it’s against the rules here to claim credentials without verifying them? Just an FYI.

And show me where I’ve spread misinformation about Slafkovsky or any other prospect.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

Well you are claiming that a widely held opinion about Wright is “vastly inaccurate”. A lot of scouts think Wright is a very safe bet to be a top-6 NHL centerman. It follows that if you think they are all wrong, you must be quite confident in your scouting abilities. What are your credentials my man? I think it’s time you reveal them if you’re going to be talking to us like you have in this thread. You just claimed you worked for an NHL team in the past; who are you?

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
How does Slafkovsky have a higher reward than Wright? Let's say that all goes well for both prospects and they each reach their proverbial ceilings. How would that make Slaf better than Wright? Wright not only has the better floor, he has a higher ceiling.

I can not wait for the draft and see Wright in a hab uniform. Methinks he's going to make alot of these so called scouts look foolish.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How does Slafkovsky have a higher reward than Wright? Let's say that all goes well for both prospects and they each reach their proverbial ceilings. How would that make Slaf better than Wright? Wright not only has the better floor, he has a higher ceiling.
Although the players aren't similar, it's like the Taylor vs Tyler. 70pt winger vs 70 pt center, the choice is easy when you only have one top 6 center

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Well you are claiming that a widely held opinion about Wright is “vastly inaccurate”. A lot of scouts think Wright is a very safe bet to be a top-6 NHL centerman. It follows that if you think they are all wrong, you must be quite confident in your scouting abilities.
I am quite confident, yes but I don't know why you think I am disavowing the scouting community.
My opinion is that both Slafkovsky and Wright are likely going to be top 6 players. Both prospects also have a pretty similar top end potential as bonafide first liners but that's a lot less of a safe bet than certain years because they both come with question marks. It's not really a year for surefire, low risk, all-star players at the top.

I have a preference for Slafkovsky but there are 3 or 4 other players who I think have shown a similar potential and Wright is certainly right up there.

Reactions: majormajor

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

I can not wait for the draft and see Wright in a hab uniform. Methinks he's going to make alot of these so called scouts look foolish.
But Slafkovsky is taller so he's better at reaching the ceiling.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

The most interesting part I found about this video was the talk about Wright's playstyle being "reactive", which might limit his upside.

Not sure If this has been asked before, but how does Wright compare to Lafreniere?

Reactions: Fatass

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

The most interesting part I found about this video was the talk about Wright's playstyle being "reactive", which might limit his upside.

Not sure If this has been asked before, but how does Wright compare to Lafreniere?

Lafreniere was very easily the better prospect.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Slafkovsky might be bit riskier but also higher reward.
Slaf isn't just a bit riskier he is A LOT more riskier. Players like Armia had better stats then Slaf and they turned out to be third line players. The only reason Slaf edged out Wright is because scouts are still so obsessed with size. Hell a scout even said that he didn't even think of his shitty 10 point season because to him "the true real deal Slaf" came out in those two small tournaments like what?!?!?!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Slaf isn't just a bit riskier he is A LOT more riskier. Players like Armia had better stats then Slaf and they turned out to be third line players. The only reason Slaf edged out Wright is because scouts are still so obsessed with size. Hell a scout even said that he didn't even think of his shitty 10 point season because to him "the true real deal Slaf" came out in those two small tournaments like what?!?!?!
You can apply the exact same logic to Wright. Its a moot point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sam Bennett had better numbers than Wright. Dylan Strome had way better numbers.

Reactions: Fatass

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
You can apply the exact same logic to Wright. Its a moot point.

I mean obviously on a probability scale 94 pts in the ohl in your draft year is more conductive of a future good nhl player than 10 points in finland lol. Seems a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad