C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He wasn't he scored 29 in 21 when McDavid was out with the broken hand.

So without McDavid, Strome scored at a pace lower than Wright's pace this past season. Which is my point. Why do you keep bringing up Strome's point totals as though they're some sort of "evidence" against Wright when a significant reason for those totals is McDavid? I'm assuming your numbers are correct, so he literally scored LESS than Wright did this past season in games where he didn't benefit from the McDavid effect. Which was my point about bringing him up all the time.

I mean, what's next? Marc-Antoine Pouliot scored more points in a junior season than Wright ever has. Should he be a comparable if we ignore a certain linemate of his that contribute to those totals?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So without McDavid, Strome scored at a pace lower than Wright's pace this past season. Which is my point. Why do you keep bringing up Strome's point totals as though they're some sort of "evidence" against Wright when a significant reason for those totals is McDavid? I'm assuming your numbers are correct, so he literally scored LESS than Wright did this past season in games where he didn't benefit from the McDavid effect. Which was my point about bringing him up all the time.

I mean, what's next? Marc-Antoine Pouliot scored more points in a junior season than Wright ever has. Should he be a comparable if we ignore a certain linemate of his that contribute to those totals?

Crosby played mostly with Dany Roussin and Danny Stewart, if I recall properly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby played mostly with Dany Roussin and Danny Stewart, if I recall properly.
He played a good portion of time with both. Regardless he certainly played significant minutes on the PP with Crosby, which will inflate stats.

Which is my point. Bringing up Strome's totals every time Wright is mentioned is ignoring a bit of important context -- Strome played on the same team as McDavid and benefited from him on the PP and any double shifts they had together when the coaching staff wanted to stack a line when trailing (similar to McDavid/Draisaitl now).

It's not like Strome was the best player on his team and was the key reason for why his point totals were what they were.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think this draft is very comparable to 2014, with Wright sounding very similar to Reinhart (smart player, nothing outright elite in the toolbox). Those two seem fairly comparable

Draisaitl and slaf aren't as close, but only comparable in them being big players with tons of upside but higher risk

So a Reinhart/Patrick vs a Draisaitl/KK

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Shane Wright is quickly becoming the most interesting prospect of all-time, in the sense of how mysterious his trajectory will be, and given how high-profile he's been. It will be fascinating to follow his progression in the next 10 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Actually just remembered Otters benched McDavid the last game of the season where Strome won the scoring title with a 6 point game. So it actually raises to 1.59 based on that. Which is higher than Wright but not by anything substantial. And, I think I overcounted a game somewhere since it says McDavid played 47 of the Otters 68 games. Looking at it, I think I counted the 11/11 game which is where McDavid got injured where Strome had 2 points. So, if I'm correct its 1.57. Obviously McDavid helped pump his numbers significantly up to 1.90 but Strome was putting up comparable numbers to guys like Wright, and Sam Bennett without McDavid.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

This is just inherently wrong.

Wright's numbers in junior's don't touch Stromes - and Strome's production was not because of McDavid - he scored just as well when McDavid was in Erie as he did without him. They didn't even play on the same line I believe and the only time Strome and McD were on the ice together was on the PP.

Strome With McDavid
2013-14
6.png
Erie Otters
OHL60GP10G29A39PTS+1117PIM0.65ppg
2014-15
6.png
Erie Otters “A”
OHL68GP45G84A129PTS+3247PIM1.90PPG

Strome Without McDavid
2015-16
6.png
Erie Otters “C”
OHL56gp37G74A111PTS+4423PIM1.98PPG
2016-17
6.png
Erie Otters
OHL35GP22G53A75PTS+1836PIM
2.14ppg

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Actually just remembered Otters benched McDavid the last game of the season where Strome won the scoring title with a 6 point game. So it actually raises to 1.59 based on that. Which is higher than Wright but not by anything substantial. And, I think I overcounted a game somewhere since it says McDavid played 47 of the Otters 68 games. Looking at it, I think I counted the 11/11 game which is where McDavid got injured where Strome had 2 points. So, if I'm correct its 1.57. Obviously McDavid helped pump his numbers significantly up to 1.90 but Strome was putting up comparable numbers to guys like Wright, and Sam Bennett without McDavid.

Again I'm going to trust your numbers are correct (though I think they're off because I remember doing the calculations back leading up to the draft). Regardless the point is I first quoted you when you said Strome put up "way better numbers" than Wright. Saying something like that ignores the very context we've been discussing since because it makes it sound like Strome put up "way better numbers" due to his own performance and not because a certain #97 helped massively inflate his totals in the games they played together.

This is just inherently wrong.

Wright's numbers in junior's don't touch Stromes - and Strome's production was not because of McDavid - he scored just as well when McDavid was in Erie as he did without him. They didn't even play on the same line I believe and the only time Strome and McD were on the ice together was on the PP.

Strome With McDavid
2013-14
6.png
Erie Otters
OHL60GP10G29A39PTS+1117PIM0.65ppg
2014-15
6.png
Erie Otters “A”
OHL68GP45G84A129PTS+3247PIM1.90PPG

Strome Without McDavid
2015-16
6.png
Erie Otters “C”
OHL56gp37G74A111PTS+4423PIM1.98PPG
2016-17
6.png
Erie Otters
OHL35GP22G53A75PTS+1836PIM
2.14ppg

Why are you including Strome's Draft+1 year? We were discussing in their draft season what they produced. We have no idea what Wright might produce next year if he's returned to junior so including Strome's 3rd season is weird.

And I already pointed out that 50 of Strome's 129 points were on the PP where he 100% played with McDavid.

Reactions: le_sean and jc17

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Again I'm going to trust your numbers are correct (though I think they're off because I remember doing the calculations back leading up to the draft). Regardless the point is I first quoted you when you said Strome put up "way better numbers" than Wright. Saying something like that ignores the very context we've been discussing since because it makes it sound like Strome put up "way better numbers" due to his own performance and not because a certain #97 helped massively inflate his totals in the games they played together.

Why are you including Strome's Draft+1 year? We were discussing in their draft season what they produced. We have no idea what Wright might produce next year if he's returned to junior so including Strome's 3rd season is weird.

And I already pointed out that 50 of Strome's 129 points were on the PP where he 100% played with McDavid.
Gotcha - the argument goes on further than your one post - my bad.

But i'd like to point out that is that Stromes D+1 numbers are relevant in an argument like this because it showed there wasn't a reliance on McDavid - and once McD left Strome was fully capable of driving offense himself.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I think this draft is very comparable to 2014, with Wright sounding very similar to Reinhart (smart player, nothing outright elite in the toolbox). Those two seem fairly comparable

Possibly a fair comparison for 1 and 2 in that scouts were not completely sold on the players available were elite. The stats community held a very different view however and thought that there were a number of really high level talents in the draft and that there were as many as a dozen fantastic prospects. Not all of them hit of course, they never do but overall the "stat watchers" were pretty much bang on.

ETA Both Draisaitl and Reinhart were both significantly more productive than either Patrick or Wright.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004

Draisaitl and slaf aren't as close, but only comparable in them being big players with tons of upside but higher risk

So a Reinhart/Patrick vs a Draisaitl/KK
If Wright ends up like the PPG Reinhart we saw this past season I would be satisfied.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That isn't how I'd describe Wright. I see a player with elite shot, passing, IQ, and some strange lack of energy and strength on the puck. It is a more unusual case. Wright has the skating skill to go circles around Reinhart, you just wouldn't have seen that happen this year. Maybe in the future, I don't know.

Gotcha - the argument goes on further than your one post - my bad.

But i'd like to point out that is that Stromes D+1 numbers are relevant in an argument like this because it showed there wasn't a reliance on McDavid - and once McD left Strome was fully capable of driving offense himself.

Personally I think the discussion about the point production is misleading with these players. You can be a great 1st OA pick while producing about as much as Wright did. (cf. Rick Nash). And you can be a bad pick while producing significantly more (cf. Jordan Dumais). This is why we watch the games. The reason there is some question marks about Wright is from watching him play, that's where the real puzzle lies. Is he capable of playing more engaged, with more energy, winning more battles?

KrakenFan92

Mar 21, 2022
If Wright ends up like the PPG Reinhart we saw this past season I would be satisfied.

Reinhart was the 3rd best forward on Florida so Montreal would have to find 2-3 players better than Wright.

X
X
Suzuki/Wright

That is what Montreal is looking at if they want to build a real cup contender and that’s just the forwards.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I don't get how anyone can say Wright has no elite trait. He most definitely has an elite shot and an elite IQ. He might not become a superstar I can't see him bust either.

I am floored at how he is currently perceived by the scouting community.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't get how anyone can say Wright has no elite trait. He most definitely has an elite shot and an elite IQ. He might not become a superstar I can't see him bust either.

I am floored at how he is currently perceived by the scouting community.
How is he being negatively viewed by the scouting community? He's #1 on the vast majority of draft lists. #2 at worst on most of the balance.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

The most interesting part I found about this video was the talk about Wright's playstyle being "reactive", which might limit his upside.

Not sure If this has been asked before, but how does Wright compare to Lafreniere?

First time seeing this video. Kind of sounds like Wright is an ideal third line centre.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sam Bennett had better numbers than Wright. Dylan Strome had way better numbers.
Did they have numbers though, like Wright did, at 15? Has
Wright actually improved that much since he was 15? He was a great 15 year lad, but how good is he now when compared to then. How much more will he improve? I think the Habs will take
Wright with their top pick, but I don’t know if he will make improve as much as others drafted around him.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Shane Wright’s Exceptional Status label is overrated - if he were to have been born one day earlier. He would have been able to play in the OHL anyway.

Luca Del Bel Belluz was a third round pick in the same OHL draft as Wright. He has seen drastically more improvement than Wright since his OHL draft year. And “ES” Wright only scored 18 more points than Del Bel Belluz

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
How is he being negatively viewed by the scouting community? He's #1 on the vast majority of draft lists. #2 at worst on most of the balance.
On the list that most accurately reflects the views of NHL scouts he's #2, and it's been reported that the thinking among NHL scouts is that he may not be a top line player. This is a disappointment for a 1OA.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Did they have numbers though, like Wright did, at 15? Has
Wright actually improved that much since he was 15? He was a great 15 year lad, but how good is he now when compared to then. How much more will he improve? I think the Habs will take
Wright with their top pick, but I don’t know if he will make improve as much as others drafted around him.
I mean, in that case the only benchmarks are McDavid and Tavares. I personally believe his number were inflated that year as OHL east scoring numbers were nuts. Like Nick Robertson was scoring a goal a game that year and set an 18 year old record.

Reactions: Fatass

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Wright also shot at 52.94% at U18s last season, so his U18s stats were also probably inflated.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Shane Wright’s Exceptional Status label is overrated - if he were to have been born one day earlier. He would have been able to play in the OHL anyway.

Luca Del Bel Belluz was a third round pick in the same OHL draft as Wright. He has seen drastically more improvement than Wright since his OHL draft year. And “ES” Wright only scored 18 more points than Del Bel Belluz

He's born on January 5th, hence his number 51, the 5th day of the 1st month. Being 18 points clear of the next first year eligible in 5 fewer games is now an argument against Wright. Fancy that.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Reinhart was the 3rd best forward on Florida so Montreal would have to find 2-3 players better than Wright.

X
X
Suzuki/Wright

That is what Montreal is looking at if they want to build a real cup contender and that’s just the forwards.
Ughhh I hate this logic….there’s more than one way to build a contender. Doesn’t always need to copy the other teams.

You’re also making a ton of assumptions: that Wright becomes Reinhart and not better. Not to mention that FLA got swept in round 2 so it’s not like they found the answer. Why would they be your standard.

I hate it when people are like ohhh Colorado had this this and that so we need exactly this this and that. And then they try to say, ok well we have our “kadri” we have our “landeskog” and we just need our makar and McKinnon….you don’t need to just copy the other teams. More than one way to win

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Can't wait for this kid to play in Montreal. Hope the media lays off him a bit if he takes some time to get good (I know they won't lay off him btw )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad