C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
this whole part of crosby's narrative has always been a weird point of focus to me. he's hardly the only kid destroying his parents' stuff practicing his shot. i did that to my parents' garage, and i never turned pro. my little brother did this as well, as did many of our friends. we used to play hockey in the daylight basement, and put plenty of holes in the walls, broke furniture, etc., and when it wasn't raining, we played in the driveway, destroying the garage door and dozens of windows.
The key is that you needed to shoot at a dryer, not a garage door. You made a mistake, and it cost you a career as a NHL all-star.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
this whole part of crosby's narrative has always been a weird point of focus to me. he's hardly the only kid destroying his parents' stuff practicing his shot. i did that to my parents' garage, and i never turned pro. my little brother did this as well, as did many of our friends. we used to play hockey in the daylight basement, and put plenty of holes in the walls, broke furniture, etc., and when it wasn't raining, we played in the driveway, destroying the garage door and dozens of windows.

Eh, that brings back memories. We would take a pair of socks and tape it into a ball, then we would play on the floor with mini hockey sticks along the corridor at my house, with my cousins and friends. Basically shooting at each other and playing the goalie. Good times.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
The key is that you needed to shoot at a dryer, not a garage door. You made a mistake, and it cost you a career as a NHL all-star.
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f5972664c2d384e70744b354577673d3d2d3635373634303432302e313536393833316135316266626337343731393531373631383437322e676966

• Haha
Reactions: JoeCool16

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Can someone explain to me the garage door thing? If i ever destroyed my parents garage door like that i would of never made it to 18 years old. Is it not cool enough to shoot at nets in the street nowadays?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Can someone explain to me the garage door thing? If i ever destroyed my parents garage door like that i would of never made it to 18 years old. Is it not cool enough to shoot at nets in the street nowadays?

It's when he missed the net obviously. You can even see the spot where there's no hole.

You are not a top prospect who will make millions of dollars in a few years. If you were I'm sure your parents will let you destroy it lol.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think it was an old door and rather than replacing or buying a sportscreen for $300 it they just let him destroy it.

Reactions: MoneyManny

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
It's when he missed the net obviously.

And you are not a top prospect who will make millions of dollars in a few years.
I used to know a bunch of guys who were "going to make it to the NHL". Only one of my friends did, and he didn't make millions of dollars.

There's other ways to practice than shooting towards your parents garage door?

I think it was an old door and rather than replacing or buying a sportscreen for $300 it they just let him destroy it.
Makes sense.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I used to know a bunch of guys who were "going to make it to the NHL". Only one of my friends did, and he didn't make millions of dollars.

There's other ways to practice than shooting towards your parents garage door?

Makes sense.

I doubt those guys were even close to the prospect level Shane Wright was. But who knows.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
I doubt those guys were even close to the prospect level Shane Wright was. But who knows.
You're right, but even if it was little Wayne Gretzky practicing there's many other ways to do it that doesn't make your parents house look like a crackhouse lol. Anyway ima stop derailing this thread.

Reactions: cavs

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Shane Wright = Chad Kilger.

This kid is going to bust. A sound board of hockey cliches would provide a more interesting interview than Shane Wright. There is no passion or intensity in his interviews or in his game on the ice.

Red flags:

1. Downward/flat trajectory heading into the draft, depending on how you look at it. Reminiscent of Angelo Esposito and other busts.

2. Does not elevate his game in the playoffs, does not play with any urgency, and simultaneously, possesses no elite attributes to make up for it. Some will try to point to his shot as being elite, but it is merely good/NHL calibre, not elite.

3. Basically took an entire year off to dick around and the excuse is the pandemic. It's not his fault there was no OHL hockey, but by the sounds of it, he didn't spend any of that time training, or getting stronger, or working on his game. Apparently he spent it playing golf and learning to play guitar. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but he is supposedly (so he says in his interviews) trying to be the best player from his draft and wants to one day help a team win the Cup. Where is the drive, the passion for the game? A lot of the best players were absolutely obsessed and lived and breathed hockey 24/7. Gretzky would have to get literally dragged off the ice at his place growing up or else he'd spend all night out there. Crosby would shoot pucks into an old dryer in the basement for literally hours when he wasn't at the rink. That isn't Shane Wright. I get the feeling he doesn't even like hockey very much. He can say whatever, but actions speak louder than words. Shades of Alexander Daigle?

4. His mature body allowed him to play a game and get away with things that aren't going to fly at the NHL level. It's not that he was physical, but he likes float and play at this slow, cerebral pace and his size and decent skating combined with the nature of the game at the OHL level allowed him to be pretty successful doing this. At the NHL, he will have no size or skating advantage whatsoever, and he will have much, much less time and space. Combine that with his lack of drive and intensity, and you have a recipe for a disaster of a #1 pick, and it would be made much worse by the scrutiny and pressure of playing in MTL.

I've reached this conclusion after watching him a lot, analyzing his game, attributes, and interviews, and considering all the different factors at work here. 2 months ago, I felt much different about him, but things I feel are much more clear now.

The Habs need to stay away, and if they don't, they and we as fans will regret it.

Take Slafkovsky, Nemec, or Cooley. I don't feel like any of them will set the world on fire, but they don't have the numerous red flags that Wright does.
With that release and ability to be at the right place at the right time, Slavkovsky has the potential to be an elite goal scorer.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If he's not made for NHL speed why not just fatten up and make him Jumbo Joe 2.0? No need speed if you are an immovable object!
:naughty:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
With that release and ability to be at the right place at the right time, Slavkovsky has the potential to be an elite goal scorer.
The funny thing is, despite what I wrote about Wright, and Slafkovsky having the reputation as the goal scorer, Wright’s shot is quite a bit better than Slafkovsky’s at this point. However, to me Slafkovsky shows genuine confidence, enthusiasm, and drive when it comes to the game - all of which Wright sorely lacks. I’m willing to bet Slafkovsky keeps improving, whereas with Wright, I’m at the point where I believe he will likely bust or severely disappoint.

I’m not going to act like Slafkovsky is this unicorn prospect that some are acting like he is though. Imo, Slafkovsky’s upside is likely a 2nd liner - 25-35g, 20-30a in his prime. A decent player, but underwhelming for a 1OA. Such is the nature of this draft, imo. Unfortunate for us Habs fans.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Shane Wright = Chad Kilger.

This kid is going to bust. A sound board of hockey cliches would provide a more interesting interview than Shane Wright. There is no passion or intensity in his interviews or in his game on the ice.

Red flags:

1. Downward/flat trajectory heading into the draft, depending on how you look at it. Reminiscent of Angelo Esposito and other busts.

2. Does not elevate his game in the playoffs, does not play with any urgency, and simultaneously, possesses no elite attributes to make up for it. Some will try to point to his shot as being elite, but it is merely good/NHL calibre, not elite.

3. Basically took an entire year off to dick around and the excuse is the pandemic. It's not his fault there was no OHL hockey, but by the sounds of it, he didn't spend any of that time training, or getting stronger, or working on his game. Apparently he spent it playing golf and learning to play guitar. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but he is supposedly (so he says in his interviews) trying to be the best player from his draft and wants to one day help a team win the Cup. Where is the drive, the passion for the game? A lot of the best players were absolutely obsessed and lived and breathed hockey 24/7. Gretzky would have to get literally dragged off the ice at his place growing up or else he'd spend all night out there. Crosby would shoot pucks into an old dryer in the basement for literally hours when he wasn't at the rink. That isn't Shane Wright. I get the feeling he doesn't even like hockey very much. He can say whatever, but actions speak louder than words. Shades of Alexander Daigle?

4. His mature body allowed him to play a game and get away with things that aren't going to fly at the NHL level. It's not that he was physical, but he likes float and play at this slow, cerebral pace and his size and decent skating combined with the nature of the game at the OHL level allowed him to be pretty successful doing this. At the NHL, he will have no size or skating advantage whatsoever, and he will have much, much less time and space. Combine that with his lack of drive and intensity, and you have a recipe for a disaster of a #1 pick, and it would be made much worse by the scrutiny and pressure of playing in MTL.

I've reached this conclusion after watching him a lot, analyzing his game, attributes, and interviews, and considering all the different factors at work here. 2 months ago, I felt much different about him, but things I feel are much more clear now.

The Habs need to stay away, and if they don't, they and we as fans will regret it.

Take Slafkovsky, Nemec, or Cooley. I don't feel like any of them will set the world on fire, but they don't have the numerous red flags that Wright does.

This is extreme. Wright does have some skills that would be above average at the NHL level. His passing execution and shooting ability should make him a top unit power play guy. And he reads play well enough to at least partly overcome his lack of motor.

I do think there is a big risk for the Habs though. I could see him becoming an RNH caliber talent except he'll somehow make RNH look like a powerful energetic confident force compared to him. I would be worried that if Wright develops that way that Habs fans will turn on him within a couple years. I think they might hate him and that does ruin players. And for all the conventional wisdom that Wright "knows how to handle the pressure", I think that is exactly backwards. He doesn't look like he handled the pressure well in Kingston, he didn't step up his game at any point and looked afraid to try. I don't blame him, he's a kid and the media pressure on him in particular is awful. They've anointed him in a way they haven't with others and that makes the pressure on Wright worse, not easier to handle.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This is extreme. Wright does have some skills that would be above average at the NHL level. His passing execution and shooting ability should make him a top unit power play guy. And he reads play well enough to at least partly overcome his lack of motor.

I do think there is a big risk for the Habs though. I could see him becoming an RNH caliber talent except he'll somehow make RNH look like a powerful energetic confident force compared to him. I would be worried that if Wright develops that way that Habs fans will turn on him within a couple years. I think they might hate him and that does ruin players. And for all the conventional wisdom that Wright "knows how to handle the pressure", I think that is exactly backwards. He doesn't look like he handled the pressure well in Kingston, he didn't step up his game at any point and looked afraid to try. I don't blame him, he's a kid and the media pressure on him in particular is awful. They've anointed him in a way they haven't with others and that makes the pressure on Wright worse, not easier to handle.
I said he has no elite skills, which is true. There are a few aspects of his game that might be NHL level. He has nothing elite though.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
If he didn't train at all, that's bad. Comparing any trait of a hockey player to Wayne isn't really helpful. Wayne also didn't touch a hockey stick in the summers, preferring baseball, and said he might have liked baseball more than hockey, saying if he could trade his hockey career for an MLB career he would do it. I agree though, Wright's interviews are strange and go beyond nervous kid in the spotlight.
Provide a source for this bs

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Provide a source for this bs

This way of responding to posts online is interesting to me. If you were chatting about this in the break room at work you'd never respond to someone like that.

Similarly, if you distrust information from someone that much, why would you trust the source that they provide? To me, it feels like if you wanted to verify a claim, you'd just go look it up yourself.

Sorry to get off topic, I just see this "prove it" kind of thing online all the time now and it's weird.

Reactions: cavs

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This way of responding to posts online is interesting to me. If you were chatting about this in the break room at work you'd never respond to someone like that.

Similarly, if you distrust information from someone that much, why would you trust the source that they provide? To me, it feels like if you wanted to verify a claim, you'd just go look it up yourself.

Sorry to get off topic, I just see this "prove it" kind of thing online all the time now and it's weird.

Asking for sources is healthy, we don't do it often enough here. Calling something BS that is just suspicious is not good though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm guessing that the pick is going to be Wright, just by the fact that they haven't told us otherwise. They probably would have told us by now. They're not going to want to surprise the crowd. And even though most scouts might have Slafkovsky ahead, that hasn't sunk in with the fanbase that is attached to the player the media had already anointed #1.

And like I was saying earlier, this would scare me if I was a Habs fan. It's a bad environment for young players, and no one is under more pressure than Wright, who already looks like he struggling under the weight of expectations.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013

So I shouldn’t ask for sources? Maybe the bs comment was abit far but when the truth is stretched, that’s bs
Calls it BS, yet it's true.

I don’t think the interviewer qualifying the question with “if you were good enough would you have chosen baseball or hockey” is the same as “Wayne Gretzky would trade his nhl career for a mlb career” but interpret it however you want. Link to the interview.

Sorry to derail the thread punks

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I said he has no elite skills, which is true. There are a few aspects of his game that might be NHL level. He has nothing elite though.
You can say the exact same thing about a guy like Nick Suzuki. They used to say his skating was not good enough to be good at the NHL level.

The way Wright is being bashed and the way this draft has been said to be weak, if Wright 95% of Nick Suzuki, it would be considered a success.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You can say the exact same thing about a guy like Nick Suzuki. They used to say his skating was not good enough to be good at the NHL level.

The way Wright is being bashed and the way this draft has been said to be weak, if Wright 95% of Nick Suzuki, it would be considered a success.
They’re different players, especially personality wise. Suzuki has this quiet confidence, works hard, and has that competitive fire, and as such, steps it up in the playoffs at both ends of the ice. Wright has none of that.

It’s only “bashing” to people who want Wright to be something he isn’t, and don’t want to face the facts. There are big red flags with Wright, and his intensity and compete level leaves much to be desired. Pointing that out isn’t bashing.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm guessing that the pick is going to be Wright, just by the fact that they haven't told us otherwise. They probably would have told us by now. They're not going to want to surprise the crowd. And even though most scouts might have Slafkovsky ahead, that hasn't sunk in with the fanbase that is attached to the player the media had already anointed #1.

And like I was saying earlier, this would scare me if I was a Habs fan. It's a bad environment for young players, and no one is under more pressure than Wright, who already looks like he struggling under the weight of expectations.
Excuse me, but wtf? Since when do teams front offices answer to fans and when have they ever told fans or media who they were picking ahead of time? This is especially true in a draft like this. What a ridiculous notion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad