C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Excuse me, but wtf? Since when do teams front offices answer to fans and when have they ever told fans or media who they were picking ahead of time? This is especially true in a draft like this. What a ridiculous notion.

We often hear about who teams want before the draft. I remember in 2013 when Patrick Roy put his foot down on the side of Mackinnon, before that no one knew who they were taking and some assumed it was Jones.

In this case the draft is in Montreal and the media anointed Wright far too early, they're going to need to leak it that it isn't Wright if they want to keep their new #1 from getting booed off the stage. Funny enough I'm starting to see some hints tonight from Lavoie, nothing clear yet though.

I agree that it is absurd that it has come to this but it has and we should expect some PR very soon if it isn't Wright.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We often hear about who teams want before the draft. I remember in 2013 when Patrick Roy put his foot down on the side of Mackinnon, before that no one knew who they were taking and some assumed it was Jones.

In this case the draft is in Montreal and the media anointed Wright far too early, they're going to need to leak it that it isn't Wright if they want to keep their new #1 from getting booed off the stage. Funny enough I'm starting to see some hints tonight from Lavoie, nothing clear yet though.

I agree that it is absurd that it has come to this but it has and we should expect some PR very soon if it isn't Wright.
You’re going to have to provide a source on the MacKinnon/Roy thing. And as for the rest of it, none of that kind of thing happens or has happened. Idk what world you are living in.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

What's the hints From Lavoie and is he in any way truly reliable?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You’re going to have to provide a source on the MacKinnon/Roy thing. And as for the rest of it, none of that kind of thing happens or has happened. Idk what world you are living in.

You're not much of a hockey historian, are you?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What's the hints From Lavoie and is he in any way truly reliable?

He said he would fall out of his chair if it was Wright. That still sounds like a guess though.

I think Lavoie is usually considered well connected, but I'm not a Habs fan, I don't know.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He said he would fall out of his chair if it was Wright. That still sounds like a guess though.

I think Lavoie is usually considered well connected, but I'm not a Habs fan, I don't know.
I know of him but follow only so much Quebec media on the team, especially anything in French since I can't speak it.

He said he would fall off his chair? I doubt that.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think Montreal goes with Wright. Even if he isnt a 1C he would make an excellent 2C behind Suzuki. NJD definitely doesnt need anyone C so they will almost certainly go with Slaf or trade down to pick up Nemec or Jiricek

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I know of him but follow only so much Quebec media on the team, especially anything in French since I can't speak it.

He said he would fall off his chair? I doubt that.

He said that. The complete podcast episode is coming out tomorrow morning so we’ll know more in a couple of hours.

Reactions: jj cale

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I hope Habs take him, if not Cooley. At least with Cooley Habs can leave him in NCAA and tank again without exposing him to tank culture.

Reactions: shello

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Not for random obscure comments that Patrick Roy made during the lead up to a particular draft, no.

Its very likely the Devils were going through back channels to push Hischier in the last time 1st overall was truly contested.

Media reports were heavily in favor of Patrick up until the draft lottery and then MacKenzie switched to Hischier right after the lotto win.

By the time the draft came along, most people expected Hischier to be taken 1st.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I hope Habs take him, if not Cooley. At least with Cooley Habs can leave him in NCAA and tank again without exposing him to tank culture.
Habs could leave Wright in Junior next season. It just makes sense for the Habs to choose Wright, and give him a Tate’s next fall, then send him back to Kingston.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Habs could leave Wright in Junior next season. It just makes sense for the Habs to choose Wright, and give him a Tate’s next fall, then send him back to Kingston.
Not sure you can do that with a 1st overall pick without problems since it's never been done.

shello

Sponsor
Mar 5, 2011
NYC
Not sure you can do that with a 1st overall pick without problems since it's never been done.

He lost a season to covid, so it wouldn't be the worst thing. Don't think he has anything left to prove in junior though

Reactions: Wats

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People need to tone down expectations and realize that lost year to COVID was a pivotal year and one that these players are never going to get back. Not getting on the ice, working with coaches, getting game reps. That's something these guys didn't get and while there will be a bit of a backlog on this, having it happen in say... minor hockey when you still have plenty of time to catch back up through Juniors is going to be so much less impactful. For Wright's own sake, he should probably play another year in Juniors and hone in on some of his weaknesses but I can see him making the team for optics.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Didn’t Kent Hughes say the choice is between Slaf, Cooley and Wright?
Interesting Cooley is in the mix.
Yes, we all kind of knew Cooley was in the mix vs. the other 2 as well as they've included him in all the steps with wright. Based on Dinners a lot of our fans think that It's a decision between Wright and Cooley right now.

On Renaud, his leak is not accurate yet. For two reasons, 1) He's lost his connection with Bergevin and 2) Yesterday the GM and Vinny both met the media and stated they we're doing final scouting meetings last night. The report/Leak is from an already done podcast prior to that so no decision is made yet. There's a guy on our board who is "somewhat Plugged in", he's basically said if it's not Wright we'll start getting puff pieces from Engels/TSN/RDS prior to the pick so the fanbase is prepared for the other option. The worst case is they pick a player and they get on stage and get a gasp from the crowd. If that's to happen the articles will start dropping today/tomorrow.

Finally, most still think there leaning Wright, since the combine Vinny and MSL have both called him and only him. Hughes made a comment yesterday they're going to call the other 2 but they've had a month and only called Wright? Certianly points that way

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
People need to tone down expectations and realize that lost year to COVID was a pivotal year and one that these players are never going to get back. Not getting on the ice, working with coaches, getting game reps. That's something these guys didn't get and while there will be a bit of a backlog on this, having it happen in say... minor hockey when you still have plenty of time to catch back up through Juniors is going to be so much less impactful. For Wright's own sake, he should probably play another year in Juniors and hone in on some of his weaknesses but I can see him making the team for optics.
I keep hearing about this and know the OHL lost a full year. Was it the same for the W and Q? NCAA? Euro jr leagues etc?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Shouldn’t a team do what’s best for the player though? Wright could play his 9 games with the Habs and then (if it’s best for him) go back to junior and try to lead his team to the Mem Cup.

Reactions: Wats

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Shouldn’t a team do what’s best for the player though? Wright could play his 9 games with the Habs and then (if it’s best for him) go back to junior and try to lead his team to the Mem Cup.
If he's going back It may be dependant on if the Fronts trade him, there not built for anything right now

Reactions: Fatass

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I agree with you but not sure if it's possible with a 1st overall. It's unprecedented.

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad