C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If he's going back It may be dependant on if the Fronts trade him, there not built for anything right now

He will definitely end up being traded since Frontenacs won't be a good team and will be far better off getting back a lot of assets in a Wright trade

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wright would be the first CHL 1st overall pick since Mike Modano in 1988 to return to juniors... but yes, if you include the US Power is a recent example.
Didn't realize it actually did happen before with Modano. Interesting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
this whole part of crosby's narrative has always been a weird point of focus to me. he's hardly the only kid destroying his parents' stuff practicing his shot. i did that to my parents' garage, and i never turned pro. my little brother did this as well, as did many of our friends. we used to play hockey in the daylight basement, and put plenty of holes in the walls, broke furniture, etc., and when it wasn't raining, we played in the driveway, destroying the garage door and dozens of windows.
The best stories about Crosby that I saw documented were he is in the insane tier level of competitiveness. It's talked about in Gare Joyce's book about the draft. Basically Michael Jordan light. He probably still does it, but he puts a picture of the captain of the winning team lifting the cup in his gym at his offseason home as inspiration.

Wright would be the first CHL 1st overall pick since Mike Modano in 1988 to return to juniors... but yes, if you include the US Power is a recent example.
First CHL forward. Fleury went back as a goalie (expected). But, I believe Berard, Chris Phillips and Jovanovski all went back too. Lindros also went back/played for the Olympic team but that was purely a contractual dispute.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I don't know if you're right about your overall analysis, but Wright destroyed his parents' garage door shooting pucks at it.

There it is, we even have a photo of it:

View attachment 564460

Source: The next one? Shane Wright has the intangibles - and shot - of a generational star

Owen Power went 1st overall in 2021. This is his parents' garage door. Now I'm sure Wright will be first overall!

1657035953817.png

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I never trust any of the stuff I read about a kid's "intangibles" after a player that I will leave unnamed was praised as being a very high character, coachable, does the right things, respectful young man when a friend of mine had him as a eighth-grader (before going on the Junior circuit) and says that to this day that was the biggest POS entitled, rude and just outright bully of a kid that she's ever had come through her doors. That's why the stuff from the world juniors and all that other stuff doesn't even surprise me even as the Pierre McGuires of the world gush about what a good ol' boy so and so is from such and such town with great parents and blah blah blah. I'm sure these kids are good at putting on their happy respectful face when they need to be and they have a long line of coaches and parents enabling and outright lying for them every step of the way no matter their true character.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I never trust any of the stuff I read about a kid's "intangibles" after a player that I will leave unnamed was praised as being a very high character, coachable, does the right things, respectful young man when a friend of mine had him as a eighth-grader (before going on the Junior circuit) and says that to this day that was the biggest POS entitled, rude and just outright bully of a kid that she's ever had come through her doors. That's why the stuff from the world juniors and all that other stuff doesn't even surprise me even as the Pierre McGuires of the world gush about what a good ol' boy so and so is from such and such town with great parents and blah blah blah. I'm sure these kids are good at putting on their happy respectful face when they need to be and they have a long line of coaches and parents enabling and outright lying for them every step of the way no matter their true character.

That's not true in all cases.

Chris Phillips could become the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft today, but his father will not be able to see the expression on his son’s face and his mother will not be able to stand and applaud.

Phillips was 10 when a virus attacked his mother’s spinal cord, leaving Carol Phillips partially paralyzed. Two years later, the effects of diabetes left his father, Garth Phillips, legally blind.

The couple’s two children “grew up fast,” said Phillips, a strapping 18-year-old defenseman from Fort McMurray, a city of about 40,000 in Alberta, Canada. He played junior hockey with the Prince Albert Raiders.

“It’s crazy, especially my mom, because it happened so suddenly,” Phillips said. “You have to ask yourself why. But you can’t sit there and be down about it. My mom and dad stayed real positive, and that helped us out as we went through it.”

Phillips was not yet a teenager when he and his older sister, Jennifer, took on much of the family’s cooking, shopping and laundry.

Unsurprisingly, Phillips was a class act and a leader throughout his long career with the Senators.

Very approachable and friendly when I talked to him outside a hotel in Toronto, and no scandals to follow him either during his career or afterwards.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Cooley is by far the #1 prospect in this years draft imo.

I hope the Habs have the balls to take him or better yet, see if Seattle wants to make a splash and trade for 1st overall and let them take Wright and Habs can get 3rd oa and more assets.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That's not true in all cases.

Unsurprisingly, Phillips was a class act and a leader throughout his long career with the Senators.

Very approachable and friendly when I talked to him outside a hotel in Toronto, and no scandals to follow him either during his career or afterwards.
Yeah I’m obviously not saying they are all bad. Just that we don’t “really” know these guys.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah I’m obviously not saying they are all bad. Just that we don’t “really” know these guys.

By "we", do you mean the fans? Or team management? Or both?

I'm curious - I really wonder how much they glean from pre-draft interviews and such. I suspect teams will also interview past coaches.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Cooley is by far the #1 prospect in this years draft imo.

I hope the Habs have the balls to take him or better yet, see if Seattle wants to make a splash and trade for 1st overall and let them take Wright and Habs can get 3rd oa and more assets.
Maybe. But what if New Jersey values Cooley higher than Slaf and takes him? Personally, I would not be happy if we missed out on both Cooley and Wright.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
By "we", do you mean the fans? Or team management? Or both?

I'm curious - I really wonder how much they glean from pre-draft interviews and such. I suspect teams will also interview past coaches.
I think they do their best, but it's probably pretty hard.. and it's always in a coach's own self interest to help their former players get drafted as high as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad