C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sam Bennett had better numbers than Wright. Dylan Strome had way better numbers.

I'd just like to point out that people continuously bringing up Strome's point totals ignores the fact he scored those points on a team with Connor McDavid where 50 of Strome's points came on the PP. I believe there was a stat that Strome was either slightly under or just slightly above a point per game in the games McDavid missed that year.

Let's not pretend that Strome's totals were a result entirely of his own performance. That's why there were concerns even leading up to the draft about how much of a "product" he was of playing with McDavid and how truly elite he projected to be.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Slaf isn't just a bit riskier he is A LOT more riskier. Players like Armia had better stats then Slaf and they turned out to be third line players. The only reason Slaf edged out Wright is because scouts are still so obsessed with size. Hell a scout even said that he didn't even think of his shitty 10 point season because to him "the true real deal Slaf" came out in those two small tournaments like what?!?!?!
I don’t understand how you people keep harping on his terrible Liiga stats and downplaying “small tournaments”. The international tournament sample of games is the same size as his league play sample.

And you’re making shit up about the size stuff. But are you going to pretend that a 6-4 229 pound 18 year old that can move like that isn’t a rarity? Scouts in all sports care about raw tools, as they should.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I don’t understand how you people keep harping on his terrible Liiga stats and downplaying “small tournaments”. The international tournament sample of games is the same size as his league play sample.

And you’re making shit up about the size stuff. But are you going to pretend that a 6-4 229 pound 18 year old that can move like that isn’t a rarity? Scouts in all sports care about raw tools, as they should.
harping on what? FACTS ARE FACTS!! he had a shit season and he had two good tournaments big deal! lol. You even have scouts ignoring his pathetic season just to sling shot him into first overall??? like what!?!? give me a break man if you dont like my opinion thats fine but its just that an opinion.

Also people are still harping on Wrights sub par season with 94 points saying its some sort of down year and harp on it constantly why can't we do the same about Slaf????

Reactions: danisonfire

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Habs fans don’t take offense. I think Wright will be downright disappointing. Someone behind in in the rankings is going to be the best player of this draft. Maybe not Slaf, possibly Cooley. My bet is Nemec. Take the elite defenceman… worry about Center next year…

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Habs fans don’t take offense. I think Wright will be downright disappointing. Someone behind in in the rankings is going to be the best player of this draft. Maybe not Slaf, possibly Cooley. My bet is Nemec. Take the elite defenceman… worry about Center next year…
This can be true and I am fine with these types of takes because it actually makes a bit of sense since covid wiped out a whole season for most of the draftees. What I don't like nor will understand is why there are TWO different types of rules to bring Wright down and Slaf up and the same arguments can't be used for BOTH prospects?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That sounds great, if we knew there was an elite d-man in this draft, but we don't.

I'm fine with whoever we pick, god knows who turns out the best player with this group.

Reactions: Riddum

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think all habs fans are prepared for disappointment yet still feel the need to take the center at 1OA

It's a poor year to win the lottery but I'd rather our scouts have the choice rather than have it made for them

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
harping on what? FACTS ARE FACTS!! he had a shit season and he had two good tournaments big deal! lol. You even have scouts ignoring his pathetic season just to sling shot him into first overall??? like what!?!? give me a break man if you dont like my opinion thats fine but its just that an opinion.

Also people are still harping on Wrights sub par season with 94 points saying its some sort of down year and harp on it constantly why can't we do the same about Slaf????
There are plenty of examples of high producing players that sucked ass and low production players that turned into stars. You draft who you project will be the best player, not just who has the best looking hockeydb page. Slafkovsky vs children could’ve put up some numbers too. Scouts obviously like the way Slafkovsky developed over the season and his physical tools.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That sounds great, if we knew there was an elite d-man in this draft, but we don't.

I'm fine with whoever we pick, god knows who turns out the best player with this group.
Here’s hoping your team knows. Cause it’s possible an entire organizations worth of Scouts could figure it out and adjust their internal rankings appropriately despite the outside consensus. Just a quick eye test and Cooley looks more impressive than Wright. Higher end skill and motor which is what pushes the pace in the NHL these days. The thing that are seen as positives for Wright are able to be seen at this point too, but ultatimately things like “see’s the ice really well” is underwhelming compared to “elite dynamic playmaker”

I think all habs fans are prepared for disappointment yet still feel the need to take the center at 1OA

It's a poor year to win the lottery but I'd rather our scouts have the choice rather than have it made for them
I get the same sense, that they feel like they obliged to take him… the smarter move is to disregard obligations and draft the BPA.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This can be true and I am fine with these types of takes because it actually makes a bit of sense since covid wiped out a whole season for most of the draftees. What I don't like nor will understand is why there are TWO different types of rules to bring Wright down and Slaf up and the same arguments can't be used for BOTH prospects?
Not sure what these arguments are.. I only just entered the conversation. But just throwing out my personal eye test rankings out there. I never saw it with Wright earlier, the drop in rankings atleast wasn’t surprising to me.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Here’s hoping your team knows. Cause it’s possible an entire organizations worth of Scouts could figure it out and adjust their internal rankings appropriately despite the outside consensus. Just a quick eye test and Cooley looks more impressive than Wright. Higher end skill and motor which is what pushes the pace in the NHL these days. The thing that are seen as positives for Wright are able to be seen at this point too, but ultatimately things like “see’s the ice really well” is underwhelming compared to “elite dynamic playmaker”

I get the same sense, that they feel like they obliged to take him… the smarter move is to disregard obligations and draft the BPA.
I sure hope they know, I doubt they or any other team out there does however. scouting is the epitome of an inexact science.

I don't happen to see any Chris Prongers in this draft myself.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I sure hope they know, I doubt they or any other team out there does however. scouting is the epitome of an inexact science.

I don't happen to see any Chris Prongers in this draft myself.
You never know. I mean we saw the Avs identify Makar, they had secret scouts going into and out of Brooks that they tried to keep under wraps so as to not tip their hand. We saw 3 other organizations without that same scouting effort pass on him and go with the easy consensus. We also saw Detroit jump up and grab Seider with some good scouting that needed to be done in Germany. We’re just posters on a message board, but there’s real money and organizational effort from NHL teams that can uncover these types of finds.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You never know. I mean we saw the Avs identify Makar, they had secret scouts going into and out of Brooks that they tried to keep under wraps so as to not tip their hand. We saw 3 other organizations without that same scouting effort pass on him and go with the easy consensus. We also saw Detroit jump up and grab Seider with some good scouting that needed to be done in Germany. We’re just posters on a message board, but there’s real money and organizational effort from NHL teams that can uncover these types of finds.
Makar could easily have gone higher

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd just like to point out that people continuously bringing up Strome's point totals ignores the fact he scored those points on a team with Connor McDavid where 50 of Strome's points came on the PP. I believe there was a stat that Strome was either slightly under or just slightly above a point per game in the games McDavid missed that year.

Let's not pretend that Strome's totals were a result entirely of his own performance. That's why there were concerns even leading up to the draft about how much of a "product" he was of playing with McDavid and how truly elite he projected to be.
He wasn't he scored 29 in 21 when McDavid was out with the broken hand.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I mean obviously on a probability scale 94 pts in the ohl in your draft year is more conductive of a future good nhl player than 10 points in finland lol. Seems a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise.
He put up another 24 points in 36 games between playoffs and international competition against men and 29 points in 17 games against U20 and U18 (Hlinka Gretzky Cup) competition.

34 points in 67 games is fairly respectable given the competition level. It worthy of a top 5 pick in most drafts when you factor in his physical abilities. Direct comparisons are hard due to different levels of competition but it's not out of line with Wrights 1.49 ppg in the CHL. Both are kind of meh, and are not really 1OA quality, it just comes down to whether you want to gamble on Wrights lack of drive being an aberration or the upside of Slafkovskys physical tools.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well hopefully they find that next Makar at pick 26, because I think taking any of the top d-guys in this draft with the first overall is asking for trouble.

I guess i'm not fine with whoever they pick after all. I'll retract that earlier statement.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
34 points in 67 games is fairly respectable given the competition level. It worthy of a top 5 pick in most drafts when you factor in his physical abilities

Idk about that Armia had 33 pts in 47 games in his draft year and went in the mid teens. Pretty similar players too. Just seems we often get tricked by tall players in that league for whatever reason.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

D-Men are tough to rank but there are at least 5 that in this draft that have a chance to be really good, and that's not even getting into some of the guys who will go in the 15-90 range. IMO there is a pretty good chance that 5 years from now the narrative will be "how could you draft Wright when there were 2 #1 D-men available in the top 10!" The trick is getting one of those 2 and not one of the other 3.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
There is some truth in what you are saying but this can be for most draft years. However, I also can see a guy like Pavel Mintyukov ending up better than Nemec too. There are risks and rewards for each prospects. Montreal will be happy to select Wright and let him develop in our system led by MSL. I think he will shine and I trust this new management to surround him on and off the ice. Vinny Lecavalier apparently is already keeping touch with him and as a former 1st overall, he can help with the media attention and guide the kid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad