C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Wright was terrible at the WJC and got totally shown up but Bedard. I think the Scabs dodged a bullet here.

shello

Sponsor
Mar 5, 2011
NYC
I was rooting for the Habs to take Wright and I hope he does well in Seattle but it does seem like he needs to mellow out a bit. He's not the only pro sports prospect to have a bit of an ego but the whole "I deserve" stuff is a bit bunch. More prospects these days need to go to the Sidney Crosby school of humbleness

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
Shane Wright had the best overall body of work among all players in this draft. I believe he should have gone #1. If Slafkovski was 5"10 or 6"0 he would not have gone 1st overall. That said, Wright is the safest pick in this draft to at least be a quality NHLer (50-60 point player at least, he might lack the drive to go beyond that). Slafkovsky on the other hand is a boom/bust, he could very well either be a Kappo Kaako or a Draisaitl lite.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I don’t buy that he has bad attitude. It’s fine to be confident, Laine said he was better than Matthews back in 2016. What was he supposed to say when asked about being the consensus #1?

Reactions: Fixxer

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Didn't even Slafkovsky say that he want's to be a best from this draft class? Nothing wrong with having confidence in your work.

If Wright takes this right and handles this as a reality check, he should be just fine.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Shane Wright had the best overall body of work among all players in this draft. I believe he should have gone #1. If Slafkovski was 5"10 or 6"0 he would not have gone 1st overall. That said, Wright is the safest pick in this draft to at least be a quality NHLer (50-60 point player at least, he might lack the drive to go beyond that). Slafkovsky on the other hand is a boom/bust, he could very well either be a Kappo Kaako or a Draisaitl lite.
Kaapo Kakko could still very well be a Draisaitl lite.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Since when is 48 points in 53 games dominating?

That’s Nick Suzuki 😂

I guess you never saw him play and I guess you don’t know Liiga.
That was also a lockout year when NHL players were playing there.

In comparison
Slaf 10 points in 31 games
Laine 33 points in 46 games
Rantanen 28 points in 56 games.
Barkov 48 points in 53 games.

Barkov would have gone before Wright 10/10 times

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

In comparison

I guess you’ve never known what the word “dominant” means.

And about Barkov hypothetically going ahead of Wright; no shit.

Reactions: Faterson

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
When Barkov still holds the all-time single season record for a U18 in Liiga history. He was 17 his entire draft year as well.

Do yourself a favor, don't talk about stuff you don't know about. Hubris is not a virtue, but humility is.
Yeah, notice the caveat; “U18”. That’s dominant in comparisons to other kids that age, but that isn’t what the other guy said. He said he “dominated against men”. He didn’t.

Reactions: OSA and Faterson

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

In comparison

Liiga numbers are fine but neither of these guys did anything similar to Slaf Olympics and Slaf WCH

Reactions: Faterson

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Yeah, notice the caveat; “U18”. That’s dominant in comparisons to other kids that age, but that isn’t what the other guy said. He said he “dominated against men”. He didn’t.
9th in scoring in league is not "dominating"?

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Barkov is and was the best Finnish prospect ever….
He dominated a league against men( a lock out season on top of it)

He would have been universally #1 ranked for this draft
Then why was it the MacKinnon vs Jones draft ? Hell most had Drouin ranked ahead Barkov. No one knew Barkov was going to be 100p Selke beast. All I’m saying is for that guy to tell us Wright is basically a 2C and that’s it, is ridiculous. Who knows what Wright becomes right now.

Reactions: Dominance

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I guess you’ve never known what the word “dominant” means.

And about Barkov hypothetically going ahead of Wright; no shit.

I know what that word means very well.

But I guess Liiga& Barkovs draft season are mysteries to you.

2way player goes close to ppg on a low scoring league, he was a beast straight up.

This Barkov isn’t some mystery development

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Then why was it the MacKinnon vs Jones draft ? Hell most had Drouin ranked ahead Barkov. No one knew Barkov was going to be 100p Selke beast. All I’m saying is for that guy to tell us Wright is basically a 2C and that’s it, is ridiculous. Who knows what Wright becomes right now.

Because at that time European prospects suffered more than they do today.
You still see today lot of underrating of European prospects but far less than at that time, that’s why teams have continued to find steals from Europe.
Is it under scouting or over scouting what’s the word you wanna use.

Before Barkov Finland had a rough strech on player development and then they made changes around 2010 and Barkov is one of the 1st prospects from the new Finnish era.
He was questioned far too much because Finlands develoment had been bad from the old era and since that Finland has produced more NHL players than ever by far.

Barkov is the best Finnish prospect ever, him turning into a monster at the NHL level isn’t a massive surprise to anyone who knows anything about Liiga or Barkov as pre draft.

If Barkov played in NA his draft year everyone would have talked about him

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Because at that time European prospects suffered more than they do today.
You still see today lot of underrating of European prospects but far less than at that time, that’s why teams have continued to find steals from Europe.
Is it under scouting or over scouting what’s the word you wanna use.

Before Barkov Finland had a rough strech on player development and then they made changes around 2010 and Barkov is one of the 1st prospects from the new Finnish era.
He was questioned far too much because Finlands develoment had been bad from the old era and since that Finland has produced more NHL players than ever by far.

Barkov is the best Finnish prospect ever, him turning into a monster at the NHL level isn’t a massive surprise to anyone who knows anything about Liiga or Barkov as pre draft.

If Barkov played in NA his draft year everyone would have talked about him
Hindsight and development is a beautiful thing. Now let’s give Wright a chance before labeling him nothing more than a 2C.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Liiga numbers are fine but neither of these guys did anything similar to Slaf Olympics and Slaf WCH

Laine had 12 points in 10 games at the World Championships, and was better in Liiga, and had a better playoffs. If Slaf has anywhere near the rookie season as Laine it will be a wildly successful one.

People really talking down Wright after the lottery and now that he dropped. I think he'll be a really good player. Neither one of the two is going to be a top 5-10 player in the league though, imo.

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad