C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ludicrous? Laughable? Let's just take one of those laughable players, Cutter Gauthier . Last season, the Flyers traded Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and a 2nd round choice. What do you think Seattle could get for Wright on the open market?

Anyone who watched Wright in the years leading up to the 2022 draft could see that Wright would never be play driver. Wright will play in the NHL, but not at a level that warranted taking him at 4 OA.

In a re-draft, Wright's not going in the top 10. Perhaps not even in the top 15.
What have you seen in Wright that makes you make such a sure fire claim? Just curious? Is it his current point production? Or are you looking at his production in years leading to the 2022 draft like you said? I have my own opinions of him based on watching him in Coachella and Seattle last year and Seattle early this season.

Wright is a much improved player since his draft year. He is already playing at a 2C level and has been one of our best forwards so far this season. Sure, if you look at just the points though, you can make whatever conclusion you would like to.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Ludicrous? Laughable? Let's just take one of those laughable players, Cutter Gauthier . Last season, the Flyers traded Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and a 2nd round choice. What do you think Seattle could get for Wright on the open market?

Anyone who watched Wright in the years leading up to the 2022 draft could see that Wright would never be play driver. Wright will play in the NHL, but not at a level that warranted taking him at 4 OA.

In a re-draft, Wright's not going in the top 10. Perhaps not even in the top 15.
You're stretching.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The real bottom line: You can't make a full and accurate assessment of a draft class until at least five years later. I am amused by all the self-annointed experts who seem to think it's possible after a little more than two. (Some of the real geniuses were even able to do it sooner!)
Got some news for you: that’s called scouting and teams and publications pay millions for it. This is probably the biggest hockey forum on the internet; you think there aren’t some actual scouts posting here? That’s the funny thing about the internet; you can never be sure who you’re talking to.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Got some news for you: that’s called scouting and teams and publications pay millions for it. This is probably the biggest hockey forum on the internet; you think there aren’t some actual scouts posting here? That’s the funny thing about the internet; you can never be sure who you’re talking to.

In the absence of posters getting vetted - which I can understand someone not wanting to do - it's also possible for someone to post a documented track record of success with past predictions (entire body of work, not cherry picking).

I can see at least one professional scout lurking in this thread right now, and he has been vetted.

You can't just say "it's possible that scouts are posting here, and therefore you need to take me seriously".

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
In the absence of posters getting vetted - which I can understand someone not wanting to do - it's also possible for someone to post a documented track record of success with past predictions (entire body of work, not cherry picking).

I can see at least one professional scout lurking in this thread right now, and he has been vetted.

You can't just say "it's possible that scouts are posting here, and therefore you need to take me seriously".
That isn’t at all what I said. I was simply pointing out what should be a rather obvious fact. The rest of your post I agree with.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Funny how Wright takes all the doom and gloom while there’s not a single peep about Beniers’ pathetic production in absurdly favourable usage while being considerably older. It is near-unbelievable that anybody could deserve those OZ and PP1 minutes and produce so little in today’s NHL. If he’s given the chance, there’s a decent chance that by the end of the season Wright is Seattle’s top C going forward. Kid is 20 years old - maybe everyone should wait to see what he can do with 18+ minutes of premium OZ and PP1 usage in a couple years before drawing conclusions on what he can ultimately become.

To be fair to Beniers, the Kraken don't really have topline type players. Beniers and Wright actually switched their wingers last week - Wright is now centering Eberle and McCann - and barely anyone has made any comment on it, perhaps because none of them are that good.

Beniers is going to play a lot regardless because he is a two-way hoss. Although people are much more excited for what Wright can do production wise. Beniers can't seem to score while Wright seems to be on the cusp of doing a lot of it.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
This is such a hilarious conversation: Korchinski got demoted after a full year because he couldn't cut it - Wright has been promoted

Jiricek is getting yo-yo'd. Cutter is getting completely shut out.

Let these kids grow.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad