C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not expecting as much from Strome. I'm not a big fan. But I'm hoping I'm wrong. I see it playing out much like Sam Reinhart in 2014 in Malmo, not overly impressive. If I'm wrong, and Strome lights it up, then giddy up.

If Strome and Marner are on a line together, which is an expected at this point, they should put up plenty of points working together. As much as people try to downplay Strome, and what I've seen of him play, it hasn't been much flash... he's still got more points this season than our Mitch.. he is just effective. I'm looking forward to seeing Strome in the WJC, to see how he is playing now.. haven't seen him in a bit, but mostly looking forward to seeing the Leafs prospects.

Also, there is no way Marner plays OHL next year... a real shame that there isn't an exemption clause for certain players to play AHL, as a year or half a year there would do him good.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's absolutely disgusting.

Tip: People are going to say that this won't work in the NHL, and they are right. Marner is smart enough not to try those moves against NHL'ers but the fact that he has so many different ways to evade defenders shows that he is very elusive with the puck.

No reason why he can't just use his raw speed like most stars in the NHL do.

bobbyt 91*

Not by a good margin. No one that watches all their games would ever agree to that. In fact, I've only ever seen Leaf fans say that. Wonder why that is...

I have noticed that Hunter will bench Marner-Dvorak when the game is a blowout so they don't run up the score but when watching D.Strome and Debrincat(sp?) they get played consistently no matter the score. I am willing to bet that Marner and Dvorak's p/60 is higher than Strome and Debringcats

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Marner is a supremely talented player now doubting that. However as I have mentioned previously Mike Babcock deploys a style that requires all players to play a heavier game along the boards at 5v5. Marner is not ready physically to play this way. We may see him spending some more time in the minors.

Unless the leafs plan on deploying him like they are with brad Boyes.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
huh? He did do the spinorama off the boards to himself, you can see the direction of the puck as it leaves it's stick, it's not going to the player in the corner, it's going towards the boards at an angle so it bounces back to him.

Don't think so. The puck went at a right angle towards the boards, then it was coming back at an acute angle out of the zone. That guy in the corner had moved up out of frame and tapped it forward. That's my take on it. Regardless it was a impressive(if not chancy move) if it was a spinorama to himself, the guy has Glegarry Glenross brass balls.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Don't think so. The puck went at a right angle towards the boards, then it was coming back at an acute angle out of the zone. That guy in the corner had moved up out of frame and tapped it forward. That's my take on it. Regardless it was a impressive(if not chancy move) if it was a spinorama to himself, the guy has Glegarry Glenross brass balls.

Not sure what play you are watching but that was an in-direct pass by Marner off the boards to himself. No question about it...

I was watching on TV when it happened and nearly **** myself. :laugh:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Lol just watch Mitch... That's clearly a play to himself. Pretty obvious too.

I wonder if he plays with Nylander next year or if the Leafs decide to try and split the kids up for more offence.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Marner

tumblr_nyuzu1KhzG1u7wcevo1_540.gif

tumblr_nyuzu1KhzG1u7wcevo2_540.gif

Marner definitely needs to bulk up if he wants to play in the NHL. He looks like a child.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Are we seriously talking about the angle his blade was and the angle he passed the puck to himself off the boards? Never change HF.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
How does he compare to Drouin? Craftier/better skater?

I'd say craftier and better vision, his skating is really good too, not too familiar with Drouin's skating though. During the Subway series people were blown away with the vision he had.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'd say craftier and better vision, his skating is really good too, not too familiar with Drouin's skating though. During the Subway series people were blown away with the vision he had.

He doesn't have better hands or vision than Drouin. However, he does have a bit quicker feet and a bit higher IQ.

Shwaguy*

Not by a good margin. No one that watches all their games would ever agree to that. In fact, I've only ever seen Leaf fans say that. Wonder why that is...

The difference between a top 3 (Possibly top 1 depending on how you view Strome/Nylander) and a top 20 prospect is definitely a "good margin"

And I watch plenty of Knights games. Leaf fans almost definitely watch more Knights games than any other NHL fanbase. That's not a debate. They play in a Toronto Market and They have possibly the top prospect in the world playing for that team, along with another C prospect in Piccinich.

Shwaguy*

He doesn't have better hands or vision than Drouin. However, he does have a bit quicker feet and a bit higher IQ.

Both have similar hands and vision.

And Marner has those two advantages you mentioned and is a couple steps ahead defensively. I'm comfortable saying Marner had the edge as a prospect, but I'm a Leafs fan and if someone disagrees with that I'd understand. Can't wait to see him at the Juniors.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Both have similar hands and vision.

And Marner has those two advantages you mentioned and is a couple steps ahead defensively. I'm comfortable saying Marner had the edge as a prospect, but I'm a Leafs fan and if someone disagrees with that I'd understand. Can't wait to see him at the Juniors.

Drouin has a better shot, hands and skating. Everything else Marner has an edge or its close, imo.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So I'm watching those highlights and I'm blown away by this kids hands and patience. If this kid was 6'4 we'd be talking about him in terms of Mario-esqe

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
That's all fine and good but who do you have on the blue line and which tire-fire is between the pipes?

As much as I love the skill in that top 9, until defense and goaltending is addressed it smacks of Oilers 2.0

Actually the goaltending has been ok and Gardiner-Phaneuf is a stable pairing while Rielly is great as a #1, just need a #2 or #3 defense-first guy like Beauchemin was for us or like Methot, Hamhuis, etc.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not expecting as much from Strome. I'm not a big fan. But I'm hoping I'm wrong. I see it playing out much like Sam Reinhart in 2014 in Malmo, not overly impressive. If I'm wrong, and Strome lights it up, then giddy up.

Even if that's so Reinhart was a top 6 center last year and helped Domi and Duclair like I see Strome helping Marner. Reinhart had 11 points last year.

and then Point is going to be a top 6 center as 1 of only 2 returning forwards and leading the WHL in points before he got hurt. There isn't any room for Barzal to play that big role at center. He'll likely be the 3rd line center or be moved to wing. I love Barzal and would have drafted him at 6, but he's 3rd on the center depth chart this year.

You see that puck going at a right angle? Wow, looks more like a 50-60 degree angle to me, imo it's pretty clear that was a pass off the boards to himself. The gif even zooms out right before it hits the boards, you can see the puck there and that player in the corner is nowhere near it, he's still of screen in the corner

buttman*

How does he compare to Drouin? Craftier/better skater?

Drouin has better hands. Marner is smarter. Not that either lacks in those areas, it's just Douin has elite hands and Marner has elite hockey sense.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
Short handed break away, guess where he put it? Bar down with that simple, effective, non dazzling straight to the point efficiency that makes Marner so consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad