C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No, that's who he is.

He's not NHL ready, he's not a feisty player. It's a big jump to go from the WHL to the pros, especially for a small player.

I think anyone who expected him to have an impactful camp and be ready to contribute at the NHL got stuck in his pre-draft hype.
Never really got this trade from an oilers perspective.
Sure he's got a higher ceiling than McLeod but oilers are in a win now mode and the oilers look slow so far this season throughout the lineup and their bottom six is shit.

I think it's fair to say he's a boom/bust type prospect and the way I see it is when a team is willing to give up such a high draft pick two years after being drafted for a 3C, makes me think the sabres brass are worried his game might not translate at the pro level?

I'm sure many oiler fans will disagree but they aren't a better team because of this trade and are in fact worse and for a team that's win now, cup or bust, I just dont get this trade.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
No, that's who he is.

He's not NHL ready, he's not a feisty player. It's a big jump to go from the WHL to the pros, especially for a small player.

I think anyone who expected him to have an impactful camp and be ready to contribute at the NHL got stuck in his pre-draft hype.
It's surprising because he had a great camp last year with us and looked like he earned a spot before the injury

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Sure he's got a higher ceiling than McLeod but oilers are in a win now mode and the oilers look slow so far this season throughout the lineup and their bottom six is shit.

I think it's fair to say he's a boom/bust type prospect and the way I see it is when a team is willing to give up such a high draft pick two years after being drafted for a 3C, makes me think the sabres brass are worried his game might not translate at the pro level?

I'm sure many oiler fans will disagree but they aren't a better team because of this trade and are in fact worse and for a team that's win now, cup or bust, I just dont get this trade.
It made sense in the short term view as McLeod couldn’t fill the 3C role so the team had to go out and trade for Henrique. Once Henrique re-signed McLeod was likely slated to play on the fourth line.

The hope is that Savoie can replace someone like Jeff Skinner in a year or two for cheap.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Two words, Salary Cap

Plus they have a full season of Henrique as their #3 center and Savoie for the future.

Reactions: macbowes

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I've seen far more post-trade hype than pre-draft hype.

Oilers fans really bent over backwards after the trade to convince themselves they just landed a blue chip prospect.

You mean the prospect you literally called Buffalo's most valuable trade chip back in May?

Here's how I'd rank our asset value...where does 11OA fit in? I have a feeling the opinions vary widely among the fans.

Most valuable: Savoie
Kulich
11OA
Rosen
Ostlund
R. Johnson
Wahlburg
Strbak
Least valuable: a bunch of other prospects no one needs.

It sure sounds like someone has been up to something post-trade, and it's not hyping Savoie.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
True, but I think he was ahead of Benson for that spot before camp began.
Ehhhh....there was a lot of debate on this topic after the draft. It was close, but Benson proved to be the far more polished player. Savoie doesn't sniff his jock strap as a player...yet.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
You mean the prospect you literally called Buffalo's most valuable trade chip back in May?

It sure sounds like someone has been up to something post-trade, and it's not hyping Savoie.
Savoie is a really good prospect with question marks. He was valued similarly to Kulich, 2025 1st round pick, and Helenius among Sabres fans. Benson, a similarly aged player on the Sabre, was viewed as the cream of the crop of our U20 players, which is what made Savoie expendable.

Regardless, his potential is pretty damn high, and getting sent down doesn't change that, but it does show that his size may be an issue. He's also had injury concerns in the past. Still, value wise, I think this was a good deal for EDM.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Yeah, he was, and we traded him like I was suggesting in my posts back then. Did I say any of them were blue chip prospects? Did I say any of them were even sure-fire NHL players?

Not sure what your point is, but what kind of loser digs into someone’s history instead of simply responding to the point they made?

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Yeah, he was, and we traded him like I was suggesting in my posts back then. Did I say any of them were blue chip prospects? Did I say any of them were even sure-fire NHL players?

I guess this explains why/how Buffalo has been as bad as they have been for so long- their "most valuable assets" are not top prospects or even NHL players. :laugh:

Not sure what your point is, but what kind of loser digs into someone’s history instead of simply responding to the point they made?

You mean the point I responded to by showcasing your hypocrisy, lol?

Reactions: wetcoast

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I guess this explains why/how Buffalo has been as bad as they have been for so long- their "most valuable assets" are not top prospects or even NHL players. :laugh:

You mean the point I responded to by showcasing your hypocrisy, lol?

Blue chip prospect is subjective.. everyone is going to look at what a blue chip is differently. I happen to agree with him... we haven't had a blue chip forward prospect since Eichel and Power was last blue chip d prospect we had.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
True, but I think he was ahead of Benson for that spot before camp began.

Maybe.. It took Benson a little time to get up to speed with things... I'd argue Benson didn't earn his spot until his 9 game tryout. So if Savoie did "beat out" Benson all it would of done was prevent Benson from getting his 9 game tryout and they both would of been sent back to Juniors... Savoie would of got the 9 game tryout and then sent back down because he wasn't NHL ready last year.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He looks like Yamamoto with less tenacity, he can likely make it in a couple years due to having some tools in his toolbox but he doesn’t seem to play a game that translates well to the NHL level

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He looks like Yamamoto with less tenacity, he can likely make it in a couple years due to having some tools in his toolbox but he doesn’t seem to play a game that translates well to the NHL level

Outside of size, I don't see the comparison.

I feel Paul Byron might be a better comparison for Savoie's biggest strengths, the transition game. Byron made his career with a level of speed that Savoie (or most others) doesn't have but it's more the style that Savoie will develop.

Byron was a forecheck king, one of the best I've ever seen. He used his speed and hockey IQ to predict play and interrupt play in all 3 zones, he controlled play especially through the neutral zone. He didn't have much offensive punch outside of forcing turnovers to rush chances and he would get out muscled when he was out there but he was so effective at breaking up plays and forcing errors that it didn't matter.

Savoie right now is a PP merchant but he won't be as effective in the NHL when the d put more pressure on him, he's not a very elusive player. Heck, he struggled a lot at the WHL level when the d would pressure him in the offensive zone, so many of his chances came after his teammates did the dirty work and he could set up shop and benefit from their work. I don't feel that's going to be an every day NHL skill he uses, especially on the Oilers.

His route to the NHL is going to be the transition play and forecheck, both of which are strengths of his. He's got a great stick in breaking up plays, one of the best prospects for that. Yamamoto was never someone who could play that role. Savioe played on some passive forechecking teams in the WHL so it wasn't always apparent but be was effective despite having some pretty crappy coaching for most of his WHL career.

The reason I don't feel Savoie will be a complete bust and will make a role for himself is that transition play, he will always have a role on a depth forecheck and creating neutral zone turnovers. He's going to struggle in a lot of ways for some of the same reasons as Yamamoto, not being able to win puck nattles, getting out muscled, and over relying on teammates to get the pucks from corners.

Also, Yamamoto was a pass first, pass second, pass third player. Savoie uses his shot to set up passes. Yamamoto always created passes from his speed, lots of skate to spot and flick it to open player passes, but Savoie is very much a slow down the game type player (which is where my Bryon comparison absolutely falls apart).

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

And I don't get how anyone wouldn't get this trade from Edmonton's perspective.

a) they needed to move out money, as they had trouble gaining the necessary cap-space

b) McLeod failed as 3rd line center, requiring the move to get Henrique. He worked somewhat fine as a winger, but even then, he would have a great two weeks and then disappear for the next two months. He had speed, but would shy away from contact. He would still be a fine depth player for them, but as listed above, they needed to get rid of players to open up cap space, and he was a a very obvious choice

c) as a contender, the team has a need for cost-controlled assets that can help them in the future. In this instance the Oilers got a prospect recently drafted in the top 10 for a player they probably would have accepted a 2nd or 3rd rounder for if push came to shove. The return they got for him handily outstrips his perceived value.

You can't just look at the two players involved. Such a move doesn't happen in a vacuum. You have to look at the whole picture. Edmonton needed cap-space, and they needed to improve the roster, and this move did just that. Moving McLeod, who at best was a 3rd line winger with consistency issues for them, was one of the reasons that allowed them to keep Henrique (a much better center) and make a move for Arvidsson and/or Skinner (who are much better wingers). And not just that, but they also got a very good prospect who could be a good cost-controlled player for them in the future, or be used as an asset to acquire players they need, on top of that. In other words: they got rid of a player who had become superfluous and was taking up too much capspace for them, and got a better return then anyone would have thought realistically possible.

This move was a complete no-brainer for them, regardless of whether Savoie ever fulfills his potential. Any loss of current help to the roster more than got made up by the signings that followed. Signings that wouldn't have been possible to fit under the cap without someone like McLeod moving out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Two words, Salary Cap

Plus they have a full season of Henrique as their #3 center and Savoie for the future.
Yup. Clearly a cap trade. Couldn’t afford to keep McLeod so moved on and got back a guy who won’t cost in the cap but might develop into a player.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So what happened here that he looked so pedestrian in both prospect tournament and pre-season games and has already been sent down to Bakersfield? He looked tentative at best - did the Oilers tell him he had a spot sown up or to not get hurt or something?

Pedestrian is a little harsh. He was solid, but was more or less stapled to O'Reilly and the corpse of Mike Hoffman all camp. The odd shift he did get with McDavid or Nuge saw him able to keep up and generate chances, but the Oil didn't really tinker with this top 9 this preseason, nor were they expected to.

The only spot upfront that was somewhat in doubt was the 4C/13th forward and he was never in consideration for that role.

The Oil have more or less written in stone that his ETA is going to as a Skinner/Arvidsson replacement once their contracts are up (or they're on IR).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad