C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No, that's who he is.

He's not NHL ready, he's not a feisty player. It's a big jump to go from the WHL to the pros, especially for a small player.

I think anyone who expected him to have an impactful camp and be ready to contribute at the NHL got stuck in his pre-draft hype.
Never really got this trade from an oilers perspective.
Sure he's got a higher ceiling than McLeod but oilers are in a win now mode and the oilers look slow so far this season throughout the lineup and their bottom six is shit.

I think it's fair to say he's a boom/bust type prospect and the way I see it is when a team is willing to give up such a high draft pick two years after being drafted for a 3C, makes me think the sabres brass are worried his game might not translate at the pro level?

I'm sure many oiler fans will disagree but they aren't a better team because of this trade and are in fact worse and for a team that's win now, cup or bust, I just dont get this trade.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
No, that's who he is.

He's not NHL ready, he's not a feisty player. It's a big jump to go from the WHL to the pros, especially for a small player.

I think anyone who expected him to have an impactful camp and be ready to contribute at the NHL got stuck in his pre-draft hype.
It's surprising because he had a great camp last year with us and looked like he earned a spot before the injury

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Sure he's got a higher ceiling than McLeod but oilers are in a win now mode and the oilers look slow so far this season throughout the lineup and their bottom six is shit.

I think it's fair to say he's a boom/bust type prospect and the way I see it is when a team is willing to give up such a high draft pick two years after being drafted for a 3C, makes me think the sabres brass are worried his game might not translate at the pro level?

I'm sure many oiler fans will disagree but they aren't a better team because of this trade and are in fact worse and for a team that's win now, cup or bust, I just dont get this trade.
It made sense in the short term view as McLeod couldn’t fill the 3C role so the team had to go out and trade for Henrique. Once Henrique re-signed McLeod was likely slated to play on the fourth line.

The hope is that Savoie can replace someone like Jeff Skinner in a year or two for cheap.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Two words, Salary Cap

Plus they have a full season of Henrique as their #3 center and Savoie for the future.

Reactions: macbowes

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I've seen far more post-trade hype than pre-draft hype.

Oilers fans really bent over backwards after the trade to convince themselves they just landed a blue chip prospect.

You mean the prospect you literally called Buffalo's most valuable trade chip back in May?

Here's how I'd rank our asset value...where does 11OA fit in? I have a feeling the opinions vary widely among the fans.

Most valuable: Savoie
Kulich
11OA
Rosen
Ostlund
R. Johnson
Wahlburg
Strbak
Least valuable: a bunch of other prospects no one needs.

It sure sounds like someone has been up to something post-trade, and it's not hyping Savoie.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
True, but I think he was ahead of Benson for that spot before camp began.
Ehhhh....there was a lot of debate on this topic after the draft. It was close, but Benson proved to be the far more polished player. Savoie doesn't sniff his jock strap as a player...yet.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
You mean the prospect you literally called Buffalo's most valuable trade chip back in May?

It sure sounds like someone has been up to something post-trade, and it's not hyping Savoie.
Savoie is a really good prospect with question marks. He was valued similarly to Kulich, 2025 1st round pick, and Helenius among Sabres fans. Benson, a similarly aged player on the Sabre, was viewed as the cream of the crop of our U20 players, which is what made Savoie expendable.

Regardless, his potential is pretty damn high, and getting sent down doesn't change that, but it does show that his size may be an issue. He's also had injury concerns in the past. Still, value wise, I think this was a good deal for EDM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad