C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No, that's who he is.

He's not NHL ready, he's not a feisty player. It's a big jump to go from the WHL to the pros, especially for a small player.

I think anyone who expected him to have an impactful camp and be ready to contribute at the NHL got stuck in his pre-draft hype.
Never really got this trade from an oilers perspective.
Sure he's got a higher ceiling than McLeod but oilers are in a win now mode and the oilers look slow so far this season throughout the lineup and their bottom six is shit.

I think it's fair to say he's a boom/bust type prospect and the way I see it is when a team is willing to give up such a high draft pick two years after being drafted for a 3C, makes me think the sabres brass are worried his game might not translate at the pro level?

I'm sure many oiler fans will disagree but they aren't a better team because of this trade and are in fact worse and for a team that's win now, cup or bust, I just dont get this trade.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
No, that's who he is.

He's not NHL ready, he's not a feisty player. It's a big jump to go from the WHL to the pros, especially for a small player.

I think anyone who expected him to have an impactful camp and be ready to contribute at the NHL got stuck in his pre-draft hype.
It's surprising because he had a great camp last year with us and looked like he earned a spot before the injury

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Sure he's got a higher ceiling than McLeod but oilers are in a win now mode and the oilers look slow so far this season throughout the lineup and their bottom six is shit.

I think it's fair to say he's a boom/bust type prospect and the way I see it is when a team is willing to give up such a high draft pick two years after being drafted for a 3C, makes me think the sabres brass are worried his game might not translate at the pro level?

I'm sure many oiler fans will disagree but they aren't a better team because of this trade and are in fact worse and for a team that's win now, cup or bust, I just dont get this trade.
It made sense in the short term view as McLeod couldn’t fill the 3C role so the team had to go out and trade for Henrique. Once Henrique re-signed McLeod was likely slated to play on the fourth line.

The hope is that Savoie can replace someone like Jeff Skinner in a year or two for cheap.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Two words, Salary Cap

Plus they have a full season of Henrique as their #3 center and Savoie for the future.

Reactions: macbowes

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's surprising because he had a great camp last year with us and looked like he earned a spot before the injury

No. Savoie had a good rookie tournament. He didn't participate in training camp with NHL club at all.. he was injured. He was never making team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad