C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
In addition, I know he seems older. But it is easy to forget Barzal just turned 19, on May 26. If stays the whole year, he will be playing and ending his rookie year as a 19 year old player. He will only be 20 next season. Lots of time for him.

yup

ya NYI Im sure will give Barzal the full 9 games to see how he is. Right now he has earned a spot on the team IMO, but things are a helluva lot different when these young kids go from playing a lot of AHLers in preseason to full NHL rosters in regular season. Barzal needs to continue playing well and continue working on his defensive play and strength. He will be under the microscope every second of every game by management to make sure they are making the 100% correct decision. IMO if there is even the slightest concern with him, he will be back

Im routing for him though BIG TIME

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Ya I still don't think Barzal will be there for the year. Capuano mixed with a few aspects of his game he needs to work on will result in him back in WHL in my opinion. I really hope Im wrong cause Id love to see him in NYI all year, but we will see!

There isn't a single thing he can learn by playing against WHL children.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
There isn't a single thing he can learn by playing against WHL children.

Playing a long season in WHL and working on strength and face offs and defensive work and also playing a key role on the WJC team IMO is a better option than if he's sitting out games in NYI in the pressbox like he's rumored to be tonight.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sounds like he's getting scratched tonight

just send him back to Seattle. They just surprisingly got Gropp returned to them and will be a League championship favorite in WHL if Barzal is returned.

This does nothing for him having him in the pressbox

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
just send him back to Seattle. They just surprisingly got Gropp returned to them and will be a League championship favorite in WHL if Barzal is returned.

Yeah, this seems strange. Don't know why they would keep him up and scratch him game 1, unless he has a knock we don't know about.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah, this seems strange. Don't know why they would keep him up and scratch him game 1, unless he has a knock we don't know about.

jack+capuano+coiffure.jpg

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I saw a tweet that's its cause there is a log jam at center. Strange that they've kept him around this long when this situation was very obvious since training camp.

IMO its not a good sign for him sitting out. Obviously NYI feels the best lineup to dress is without him in it

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I saw a tweet that's its cause there is a log jam at center. Strange that they've kept him around this long when this situation was very obvious since training camp.

IMO its not a good sign for him sitting out. Obviously NYI feels the best lineup to dress is without him in it

If he's not playing, I don't get why he's up.
Maybe they have him on the Pietriagnelo/Brayden Schenn plan. Either way, I find it weird he isn't playing game 1. The fact they are already scratching him makes me think that they won't play him past 9 and burn the ELC year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Maybe they have him on the Pietriagnelo/Brayden Schenn plan. Either way, I find it weird he isn't playing game 1. The fact they are already scratching him makes me think that they won't play him past 9 and burn the ELC year.

yup..

I know some NYI fans are being optimistic and saying maybe he isn't playing cause he has a spot secured and management want to see what others can do now... but that is so far from whats going on. If he had a spot secured, he would be absolutely playing cause NYI management obviously want to win this opening game and obviously would be dressing Barzal if he was the better option

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They may want to alternate Barzal with fellow rookie Beau, perhaps game by game.
That'd be a pretty ridiculous strategy, and would probably hurt the players ability to find chemistry with their linemates and get in a groove. It also might create a culture where they are playing constantly worrying about making a mistake. But it wouldn't shock me, pretty much my entire time as a hockey fan the Isles do things that surprise me and go against convention.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They may want to alternate Barzal with fellow rookie Beau, perhaps game by game.

I really hope they don't... that's a terrible thing to do with such young kids.

Man I really hope they don't mess up his development this year

If they go back and forth like that, the kids wont get into a groove and will be gripping their sticks hard fearing that they will make mistakes.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I really hope they don't... that's a terrible thing to do with such young kids.

Man I really hope they don't mess up his development this year

If they go back and forth like that, the kids wont get into a groove and will be gripping their sticks hard fearing that they will make mistakes.

It's a given that they'll ruin his development. Almost all of their top draft picks have been disappointments besides Tavares, and it's not like those picks were gambles. It's obvious that they have problems developing high end talent, and constantly jerking the prospects around between lines, games, and leagues obviously does not help. I almost wish they'd send them all down until they commit to a real coach/management team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If he's not playing, I don't get why he's up.

Islanders have done this a few times where they have a player up to see what it's like in the Big Leagues, then sort of send them back to junior with a plan what they have to do next year.

From a players POV, he must like the paycheck for a few weeks

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Islanders have done this a few times where they have a player up to see what it's like in the Big Leagues, then sort of send them back to junior with a plan what they have to do next year.

The Isles have had a history of doing this, but I think they also did this for Barzal last year. Why do it again? Why not, you know, play him?

Then again, it is only game one, and maybe we are all just jumping to conclusions. Maybe not the wisest of moves to ice two rookies against your #1 rival to open the season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I have no problem what so ever having kids around the pro's during training camp/exhibition and MAYBE a regular season game or 2... just so they see what it takes to be a professional and what it takes to play in the league. If that is the case with Barzal and they send him back to junior after tonight or so, then I have no problem with it. However if they string him along for the next month sitting him out and dressing the odd game, then Ill be extremely pissed off with management

If there is the slightest doubt, send him back. I always look at Max Domi in AZ. A lot of people thought he was a shoe in a couple years ago but he was sent back to OHL right away which shocked many fans cause they all said he had absolutely nothing to prove anymore in junior, but he had a huge year and it worked perfectly for him and the Yotes.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I have no problem what so ever having kids around the pro's during training camp/exhibition and MAYBE a regular season game or 2... just so they see what it takes to be a professional and what it takes to play in the league. If that is the case with Barzal and they send him back to junior after tonight or so, then I have no problem with it. However if they string him along for the next month sitting him out and dressing the odd game, then Ill be extremely pissed off with management

When they did it before(Strome and Reinhart) it usually was 5 games

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think they're doing that too and I hate that strategy.

Capuano is a ****ing clown. He's mishandled every kid during his tenure. The only solace we have now is that Strait is finally gone and his replacement (Seidenberg) doesn't suck complete ass. The CMac's and Bernier's have been replaced by Quine and Prince along with the kids.

Beauvillier gets his shot tonight, Barzal will likely get the next game or Sunday for the home opener. God forbid he has to deal with more than 1 rookie in the lineup, he has to have his veteran pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad